Anyone dive through Carnival in Grand Cayman

thevacationer

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Carnival used Don Foster's in GC both times I dove there. I'm sure you can contact then via their website.

My wife and I are newly certified divers, and will book through Carnival for the Grand Cayman stop as they are actuall less expensive than other dive operators I found.

:eek:

I read on another board that sometimes these tend to be "cattle boats." Having never done this, I'm wondering if this would even be an issue for us. We are already booked through a local dive op in Cozumel for the previous day.

My wife and I are newly certified divers, and will book through Carnival for the Grand Cayman stop as they are actuall less expensive than other dive operators I found.

:eek:

I read on another board that sometimes these tend to be "cattle boats." Having never done this, I'm wondering if this would even be an issue for us. We are already booked through a local dive op in Cozumel for the previous day.

Hi Lefty Writer,

Our cruise is over now and like you we went with an outside provider in cozumel and it was great. We did go with Carnival in Cayman islands for many reasons. It was a true cattle boat experience. The dive company they used was good, but the places they took us were a huge disappointment! Also you have very short dives, which I really felt cheated because you are paying for the tank but yet you can't use it entirely. Lesson learned.

If I could do it again. I would go with an outside dive company if at all possible. It was difficult for us due to the times we were in Cayman and the tender situation. So, in my exact situation I would dive through carnival but I would do the shore dive. That way you could use all your air and would not feel rushed.

We are also newer divers. We used Bananarama in Roatan the day before Cayman and the reefs and diving was so much superior.

Just my two cents worth. I would rather not dive then pay for the experience we had in Cayman. We are just so excited about diving we want to dive everywhere. I guess you learn sometimes it is just better not to dive if you can't have the experience you want. :)

I dove with Holland America in December 2009. They used Don Foster's and there must have been 30 people on the boat. I had a good dive, but I don't like cattle boats. I book independently always now, especially since I'm looking for advanced dives.

The ship's excursion will not take you to the Kittiwake because that's a more expensive dive.

Hi Lefty Writer,

Our cruise is over now and like you we went with an outside provider in cozumel and it was great. We did go with Carnival in Cayman islands for many reasons. It was a true cattle boat experience. The dive company they used was good, but the places they took us were a huge disappointment! Also you have very short dives, which I really felt cheated because you are paying for the tank but yet you can't use it entirely. Lesson learned.

If I could do it again. I would go with an outside dive company if at all possible. It was difficult for us due to the times we were in Cayman and the tender situation. So, in my exact situation I would dive through carnival but I would do the shore dive. That way you could use all your air and would not feel rushed.

We are also newer divers. We used Bananarama in Roatan the day before Cayman and the reefs and diving was so much superior.

Just my two cents worth. I would rather not dive then pay for the experience we had in Cayman. We are just so excited about diving we want to dive everywhere. I guess you learn sometimes it is just better not to dive if you can't have the experience you want. :)

Thank you for this information, I really appreciate it. Sorry you had to have the experience, but it is very helpful for others to read it before making the same errors.

Thanks for the great info, thevacationer. It really helps when trying to make a decision on whom to book with.

I guess if we want to do a boat dive it'll have to be through Carnival, due to arrival times, etc. or a shore dive. We'll definitely look at the shore dive for Cayman.

Archived