How Is Pied Piper to Galapagos?

kbruceh

Does anyone have reviews of their Pied Piper-booked cruise to the Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition? I am trying to decide whether to book with that group or just book through Celebrity. Any info on what Pied Piper offers on this small ship in the way of special events for their people? or in Quito before the cruise? Any advice welcome.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I did the Galapagos cruise on the Celebrity Xpedition in 2009 with a different gay travel company; so I cannot speak about Pied Piper. However, the Galapagos cruise on the Xpedition is a special type of cruise. It's a small boat, about 125 passengers; so you get to know everyone as the week goes on. Also, there are multiple shore or water oriented excursions every day. The morning excursions leave between 6:00 and 9:00AM every day. Some days I was putting on/off my wet suit for snorkeling multiple times. Overall, the week is incredible, but not really relaxing. The guides are great at showing you all the wildlife on the various islands, but it involves a lot of hiking and "wet landings" in a zodiac transport. Many landings require that you walk a few feet through the water to get to the shore. Bring a pair of water-oriented shoes, like Teva sandals. I hiked many miles on the islands in those Teva sandals and they were perfect. Also, given that you are at the equator, bring lots of sunscreen and a wide brim hat. You will need both. Given the long days, most passengers were in bed early every night. Overall, it's a great experience, but not typical of a gay cruise. Our tour company organized a group dinner in Quito before/after the cruise. They also took us to a gay nightclub on one night, but very few people went. This cruise attracts a more mature gay crowd; so that was not unexpected. I imagine the Pied Piper experience will be similar. Personally, I enjoy having a gay crowd around for casual conversation over dinner or drinks afterwards. I also knew several fellow passengers on the boat. That is why I chose to do a gay charter of the Xpedition as opposed to booking it directly with Celebrity. That was my experience. Hope this helps.

Does anyone have reviews of their Pied Piper-booked cruise to the Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition? I am trying to decide whether to book with that group or just book through Celebrity. Any info on what Pied Piper offers on this small ship in the way of special events for their people? or in Quito before the cruise? Any advice welcome.

Thanks

I would book with PP. You will get everthing Celebrity offers, plus whatever PP offers. That way you can pick what you want to do. PP does not cost any more that Celebrity. If you prefer you can book with Celebrity if they are offering a deal, that transfer it over to PP. Enjoy.

ok, I just googled, and found http://www.galapagosgay.com/ Looks like a nice trip and the prices are cheaper than PP, but it stays at hotels instead of a cruise in the Galapagos islands. So anyone who has been to the Galapagos, how important is it to take a cruise? Or can you see just as much by staying at hotels? This tour has accommodations at Pelican Bay and San Vincente (not sure if that is the hotel, town or island name), and it goes to several islands:

Quito - Galapagos: Baltra Island - Tortuga Bay

Galapagos: Sail to Floreana Island

Galapagos: Sail to Santa Fe Island & Garrapatero

Galapagos: Charles Darwin Station ferry Isabela Island

Galapagos: Isabela Island: Volcanoes & Tontoreras

Galapagos: Wall of tears & The Seven Paths

Galapagos: Isabela Island - Baltra - flight - Quito

so is this enough that I'll feel like I've seen all the important parts?

that looks like a pretty full itinerary. I think you will see a lot of the islands. I don't think you will miss anything not being on a boat the whole time. I enjoyed seeing the 2 towns on the islands. The towns are very low key.

Thanks

We are booked for 2012

ok, I just googled, and found http://www.galapagosgay.com/ Looks like a nice trip and the prices are cheaper than PP, but it stays at hotels instead of a cruise in the Galapagos islands.

From what I have heard from people who have been there is that you want to be on the cruises. The towns are OK, but you will not see as much as you have to head out each day and then all the way back to the main island. The hotels are basic hotels and nothing special.

Archived