5 nights no sleep on Radiance 3/5-3/10 + terrible response

hfh

Hi, I rarely post on here but read all your advice etc, before cruises. Thank you all for that. I feel that I must tell you about my experience. Myself, husband and another couple were on Brilliance in November 2010 to Dubai. The first night we had horrendous banging noise in our inside cabin, told guest services and we were both moved to outside cabins. Still as bad and after 3 more nights we again complained. Guest services were so kind and said they were aware of the problem and moved us again to 2 balcony cabins. So on this occasion RCI were certainly up to scratch and could not have been more helpful. Just thought I would give them praise when they deserve it. Great customer relations we will continue to sail with them.

Not only did I call guest services more then once if you read my original post, you try not sleeping for 5 nights and think that $150 is fair. I hope it never happens to you:eek:

I read what you wrote, here it is

On the 2nd night we were awakened again by the sounds of drilling and what sounded like scraping noises. We knew it must be maintenance working on the problem so there was no sense in calling guest relations. This also went on again the 3rd and 4th night.

The last night of the cruise, March 9th was the worst. We were awakened sometime around 3:45a.m. The noise was so loud that I said to my husband it sounds like someone is taking a baseball bat and just banging on pipes. It would stop for a few minutes and then start up again. Around 4:00 a.m. we called guest services. I could barely here myself on the phone. It was so loud that I couldn't believe we were the only ones who were hearing the noise. She said she would call back and see what she could find out. She did call back and was unable to find out where the noise was coming from. She said she would talk to security. The banging was incessant.

You say in your post there was no point calling guest services again...and that this went on

again the 3rd and 4th night also and again on the 5th night when you called guest service.

Now you go read your post again. You got $150 for your ONE complaint.

I read what you wrote, here it is

On the 2nd night we were awakened again by the sounds of drilling and what sounded like scraping noises. We knew it must be maintenance working on the problem so there was no sense in calling guest relations. This also went on again the 3rd and 4th night.

The last night of the cruise, March 9th was the worst. We were awakened sometime around 3:45a.m. The noise was so loud that I said to my husband it sounds like someone is taking a baseball bat and just banging on pipes. It would stop for a few minutes and then start up again. Around 4:00 a.m. we called guest services. I could barely here myself on the phone. It was so loud that I couldn't believe we were the only ones who were hearing the noise. She said she would call back and see what she could find out. She did call back and was unable to find out where the noise was coming from. She said she would talk to security. The banging was incessant.

You say in your post there was no point calling guest services again...and that this went on

again the 3rd and 4th night also and again on the 5th night when you called guest service.

Now you go read your post again. You got $150 for your ONE complaint.

I don't know why you sound so angry:mad: and feel like that we were compensated enough:( Excuse me in a matter of samantics but we also complained as our room was on the 4th floor the same floor as guest services and they knew us at the front desk. Thank goodness you don't work for RCCL as they have seen the light and offered us an additional $500 towards another cruise!:D

@Marie0157: I don't know why you sound so angry:mad:and feel that we were compensated enough:( Excuse me in a matter of samantics but our room was on the 4th floor the same floor as guest services and they knew us at the front desk. Thank goodness you don't work for RCCL as they have seen the light and offered us an additional $500 toward another cruise:D

I don't know why you sound so angry:mad: and feel like that we were compensated enough:( Excuse me in a matter of samantics but we also complained as our room was on the 4th floor the same floor as guest services and they knew us at the front desk. Thank goodness you don't work for RCCL as they have seen the light and offered us an additional $500 towards another cruise!:D

I didn't think Marie sounded angry; she was just repeating what you originally claimed. You said you complained after the first night, and then the in-between nights felt there was no point in complaining, then you complained again at the end of the cruise. Maybe that's not right, but it is what you said before.

I dont think email is the best method of contacting the relevant person, snail mail though slower is the best, just make sure that its recorded delivery so that they have to sign for it.

Remember, an email can be deleted very easily, but recorded mail cant.:D

I didn't think Marie sounded angry; she was just repeating what you originally claimed. You said you complained after the first night, and then the in-between nights felt there was no point in complaining, then you complained again at the end of the cruise. Maybe that's not right, but it is what you said before.

I'm a grown woman who felt l was being chastised and felt it was uncalled for.

She obviously had the time to copy and paste part of my letter. I'm sorry if I wasn't more specific in stating all the times we were at the guest relations desk.

In any event $150 was not enough weather I had called 1x or 5x. Losing that many nights of sleep was uncalled for and deserved a higher compensation.

I think what Marie was trying to say was that if you complained on the second day, there might have been a different result (change cabins, additional compensation) because if RCI didn't know that your second and third nights were disturbed right away, they couldn't offer compensation.

Unfortunately, what I have learned (thankfully, not on a cruise) is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It might have been in your best interest to complain each day (or each night, as the sound was happening) and perhaps a better resolution might have been offered before your whole cruise was ruined.

Hopefully you will receive additional compensation- please keep us posted!

Cheers,

I'm a grown woman who felt l was being chastised and felt it was uncalled for.

She obviously had the time to copy and paste part of my letter. I'm sorry if I wasn't more specific in stating all the times we were at the guest relations desk.

In any event $150 was not enough weather I had called 1x or 5x. Losing that many nights of sleep was uncalled for and deserved a higher compensation.

Sorry for your problem, I agree it called for a lot more compensation and that u are now receiving from RCCL...

I am sorry but I do not see where or how u were being chastised...what Marie0157 stated was simple & while perhaps a tad direct..wasn't 'angry' and at no time did she state that u only deserved $150 in compensation..Curious u wld feel chastised!

Now u can relax 'cause u were compensated to your satisfaction! :)

I think what Marie was trying to say was that if you complained on the second day, there might have been a different result (change cabins, additional compensation) because if RCI didn't know that your second and third nights were disturbed right away, they couldn't offer compensation.

Unfortunately, what I have learned (thankfully, not on a cruise) is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It might have been in your best interest to complain each day (or each night, as the sound was happening) and perhaps a better resolution might have been offered before your whole cruise was ruined.

Hopefully you will receive additional compensation- please keep us posted!

Cheers,

I did receive an additional $500 towards another cruise, thank you.

@digital_curator & @ paul65

Here is her exact text to me "You got compensation once because you called guest service once.

Now that you are off the ship you complain about nights 2, 3, and 4. $150 for your one complaint is fair, I don't think you should get anymore since you made it sound like everything was ok after the first night by not callng guest services again.

Sorry

So as you both can see she thought that $150 was fair. Like I said I was correct in feeling not only chastised by her, but also it had an angry conotation to it. Why it seemed to affect her is beyond me. Who is she to say I got what I deserved? Good thing she is not in charge of RCCL. Maybe she is just jealous. I guess she has never lost 5 nights of sleep. Maybe she should and then lets see what happens to her.

So before judging someone, I think you need to read all the posts!!!:eek:

Sorry for your problem, I agree it called for a lot more compensation and that u are now receiving from RCCL...

I am sorry but I do not see where or how u were being chastised...what Marie0157 stated was simple & while perhaps a tad direct..wasn't 'angry' and at no time did she state that u only deserved $150 in compensation..Curious u wld feel chastised!

Now u can relax 'cause u were compensated to your satisfaction! :)

I can assure you I'm totally relaxed but like I posted just in case peeps are not seeing what she wrote to me let me quote her words

"You got compensation once because you called guest service once.

Now that you are off the ship you complain about nights 2, 3, and 4. $150 for your one complaint is fair, I don't think you should get anymore since you made it sound like everything was ok after the first night by not callng guest services again.

I did receive an additional $500 towards another cruise, thank you.

Well....that was a short and sweet follow up.....so you good with that? Seems pretty decent....what's your thoughts? Did they email you or call ya?(or snail mail?) just curious

hopefully your next cruise will be a "quiet" one

I can assure you I'm totally relaxed but like I posted just in case peeps are not seeing what she wrote to me let me quote her words

hfh, It was only a response to what you had written. You said, as part of your original post, "On the 2nd night we were awakened again by the sounds of drilling and what sounded like scraping noises. We knew it must be maintenance working on the problem so there was no sense in calling guest relations. This also went on again the 3rd and 4th night."

Perhaps you did call guest relations again, and perhaps several times, but your words seemed to indicate that you called them after the first night and then didn't call again until the last night of the cruise. So, they tried to take care of you after that first night, but if you didn't call again until the end, you were not giving them a chance to make things right for you.

I'm not trying to dispute what you did or didn't do, only trying to explain the perspective of this other poster, Marie, at whom you seem to have taken offense. (I don't see anger in her posts, only an opinion, but I do sense a little anger in your replies.)

hfh, It was only a response to what you had written. You said, as part of your original post, "On the 2nd night we were awakened again by the sounds of drilling and what sounded like scraping noises. We knew it must be maintenance working on the problem so there was no sense in calling guest relations. This also went on again the 3rd and 4th night."

Perhaps you did call guest relations again, and perhaps several times, but your words seemed to indicate that you called them after the first night and then didn't call again until the last night of the cruise. So, they tried to take care of you after that first night, but if you didn't call again until the end, you were not giving them a chance to make things right for you.

I'm not trying to dispute what you did or didn't do, only trying to explain the perspective of this other poster, Marie, at whom you seem to have taken offense. (I don't see anger in her posts, only an opinion, but I do sense a little anger in your replies.)

If I'm put off by her it is because she said "she felt that I got what I deserved and that was the $150" Who made her judge and jury?

Well....that was a short and sweet follow up.....so you good with that? Seems pretty decent....what's your thoughts? Did they email you or call ya?(or snail mail?) just curious

hopefully your next cruise will be a "quiet" one

Actually the irony of it all is that with all the snail mail letters that I wrote "certified return receipt requested". The one that got the response was the one that was written through the RCCL web site itself. Live and learn. Could have saved myself some $$$$:rolleyes: Yes, I do feel that $500 is very fair and we are already planning our next cruise with them.

I'm glad you're happy and can put this bed. Then all the "back and forth information" can hopefully come to an end.....everybody take a deep breath and sing koom-by-ya :D

Yes, put this to bed "no pun intended" thanks for the laugh:D

wow, really crazy. I can't believe they would schedule work between 2 and 4 AM that would cause all that banging. It is not as if you were in an office building. The work should have been done during the day when people are out and about 1-3 PM would have made much more sense.

Anyway, did you talk to any of your neighbors (including above and below)? It would probably help if you all put in a complaint together. They must have also been woken up by the noise.

wow, really crazy. I can't believe they would schedule work between 2 and 4 AM that would cause all that banging. It is not as if you were in an office building. The work should have been done during the day when people are out and about 1-3 PM would have made much more sense.

Anyway, did you talk to any of your neighbors (including above and below)? It would probably help if you all put in a complaint together. They must have also been woken up by the noise.

We did talk to some of our neighbors and they did not hear. They did charge the people $250 to replace the carpet and also charged to move them to another room!

Im glad you got a good result, but my advice in future would be to not let something like that happen.

If I recieved a letter in my room stating that work was going to happen in the neighbouring room in early hours of the morning, I would be straight down to guest services and tell them that NO its not going to happen. If they want to wake me up in the middle of the night they will have to pay for my cruise, or find a time when people are not sleeping to carry out work.

I dont understand why you did not do anythig when the first warning letter arrived in your room. I feel that not responding to the warning letter before the work happened made RCCL think that you were ok with the work being carried out. If i was working there and issued a letter to guests that work and possible noise was going to occur, and recievesd no reply or complaints, I would think that all guests are obviously ok with the work. Think of it kinda like planning permission. Theres no point asking someone to pull down a house after its built, you complain after the planning notice goes out to prevent the problem.

Interesting post - Just a personal note and please don’t take it the wrong way-

I literally live down the street from the Port Of Miami and my morning runs sometimes takes me onto the Port Of Miami. Last month while running on the Port by RCCL headquarter’s building which is also located on the Port Of Miami, I saw the mailman parked outside the rear of the RCCL building and noticed him carrying in numerous plastic boxes of mail into RCCL, literally 1000’s of pieces of mail. I just wonder out of those 1000's of pieces of mail RCCL gets everyday, just how many are complaint letters ?:)

My guess would be that much of that mail would be for the thousands of employees working the ships.

Regardless, I am glad the OP got something for her trouble.

Archived