Divorce/Separation?

Boatingmom

Just thinking... there are a lot of posts about vow renewals. Has anybody actually decided on divorce/separation while on a cruise??:( Has anybody's cruise been "the final straw"?

I read that on a couple cruises some people have actually killed their spouses but that's a subject for another day.;)

Bill

I read that on a couple cruises some people have actually killed their spouses but that's a subject for another day.;)

Bill

LMAO....I have wanted to kill my spouse after I saw the bar bill...I think Double jack and cokes for a week is reasonable grounds....:D

How about getting a divorce so I could take a cruise. That is what I did. LOL:)

I'm not getting a divorce so I can take a cruise.......but I'm getting a divorce and CELEBRATING by going on a cruise...LOL;) Any reason or no reason at all is always acceptable for taking a cruise!

I'm not getting a divorce so I can take a cruise.......but I'm getting a divorce and CELEBRATING by going on a cruise...LOL;) Any reason or no reason at all is always acceptable for taking a cruise!

My first cruise was to celebrate a divorce.... and who did they seat my friend and I with? Newlyweds!!!:eek:

Kind of. My ex-husband had a bad drinking problem and he was supposed to go on a cruise with me. A month out I told him I would be taking a friend instead because we couldn't afford his bar bill and I couldn't trust him. Though technically we were separated at this point, but still living in the same house, just in different rooms. I had the divorce papers, just hadn't signed them yet hoping something could be salvaged. I'll confess, I met my current fiance on that cruise and signed my divorce the day I got back. Didn't start dating my current fiance until two months later, but that cruise opened my eyes to the fact that didn't have to deal with a messy drunken husband the rest of my life and there were other (better) things out there.

LOL... couldn't imagine deciding to get divorced on a cruise... we are usually so much more relaxed on a cruise that the thought of fighting or having a conversation like that is at 0%... I find that the hubby and I get closer during vacation time.

LOL... couldn't imagine deciding to get divorced on a cruise... we are usually so much more relaxed on a cruise that the thought of fighting or having a conversation like that is at 0%... I find that the hubby and I get closer during vacation time.

That's how we are...now. But our first cruise, oh my! I'm not sure what set me off, he probably breathed or something and I didn't like the way he did it.:o But, I stormed out of the cabin and took off in a hissy-fit. I didn't know where to go, so I ended up in the library, found a book and curled up in a wing-back chair and started to read. Well, I decided to ignore him when I saw him wandering around looking for me and just stayed there reading, until my guilt at being so mean got the best of me.:o I apologized, confessed that I had seen him, we kissed, made up and all was good. For our next cruise he bought walkie talkies and told me that he wanted me to carry one everytime I left the cabin without him...I said fine, but asked why he thought I wouldn't just chuck it overboard if I was annoyed with him?:p We both still laugh everytime we see the walkies...and we've never taken them on a cruise.

I guess that is exactly what I am doing. Thanks I'm Ready to Go!

Kind of. My ex-husband had a bad drinking problem and he was supposed to go on a cruise with me. A month out I told him I would be taking a friend instead because we couldn't afford his bar bill and I couldn't trust him. Though technically we were separated at this point, but still living in the same house, just in different rooms. I had the divorce papers, just hadn't signed them yet hoping something could be salvaged. I'll confess, I met my current fiance on that cruise and signed my divorce the day I got back. Didn't start dating my current fiance until two months later, but that cruise opened my eyes to the fact that didn't have to deal with a messy drunken husband the rest of my life and there were other (better) things out there.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! "Take care of yourself first so that you can care for someone else if you choose to" was very sage advice offered to me by a substance abuse social worker in a social setting almost 20 years ago, and I've never forgotten it!! HAPPY CRUISING!

You have a good marriage that doesn't have a problem that would be blown up in situation on a cruise then. My ex was an alcoholic and the type who didn't bat an eye about spending money he didn't earn on alcohol. He'd go to Costco and buy those giant bottles for $40 because "it's cheaper" but then drink the whole thing in two days and go out and buy another. I was just doing the math before my cruise and figured if he drank as much on the cruise that he did at home our bar bill for a 4 day cruise would be $3,000+! That was 6 times what we spent on the tickets! So I foresaw me not putting him on my charge account, him getting mad at me and us fighting, then going and putting his own card on the account, charging it up, us fighting... you get the idea!

With this relationship I can't WAIT to go on this cruise with him! He's going to teach me how to play Craps and since we live with his Mom right now (just bought a house and there was a 2 month gap where we had to be out of our apartment before we could move in) we need this alone time!! Eeek! Can't wait. :)

Man/Woman overboard??!!

So we were on the Splendor's three repositioning cruises "Around the Horn" two years ago. There was a "man overboard," and it turns out he was travelling with his wife, but he had a "boyfriend" two or three balconies down who was travelling with his boyfriend.....We searched for six hours, and during that time we had a Chilean navy vessel also searching. Not a sign of anything even remotely unusual, but what conversations there were in the public areas during the search!!!

Thank you so much for all the interesting replies. LMAO. I figure if I have not divorced him by the time I pack the kids, book excursions and do the countdown, I won't do it on a cruise. And the fact that he pays S&S accountl:o

Now man overboard is a different story:D JK

I don't think this is too *off-topic*...

DW and I were in Miami airport after our very first cruise.

She struck up a conversation with the couple sitting next to us, because they had little kids with them and with the trip nearly over, DW was *really* missing ours back home.

She told the other gal how she missed our kids, and how she felt guilty for leaving them back home, but felt like we needed some time away together w/o them.

The lady just laughed and said "Well, I'm a marriage counselor, and I can tell you that if you keep doing that, I'll never have to see you in my office!"

That conversation was priceless for me, and now we're booked on number 9 this summer. As someone else mentioned, it seems we get closer due to cruising (planning, traveling, enjoying each other, etc.).

I know we are blessed with each other, and for some relationships, it's a very tough world out there.

GP

P.S. We're not total losers, and leave the kids home every time...we did take them all in 2007.

Archived