Blackberry with Verizon

CrimsonQueen

I'm still a bit confused on all this "smartphone" talk. My BB does not "alert" me for anything except one email account, that gets maybe 2 or 3 emails a day. Yes, I use it to access the web some at home, but am not planning on doing that on the ship or in port. So......

Am I still going to accrue roaming charges just because of this one email account?? Or, will the alerts be charged like a text message??

Thanks for any help you can give me.....and please, "dumb it down" :D

On a blackberry, your email alerts use your "data package", which comes through the cell signal. I'm guessing roaming data usage is billed pretty steeply. On top of the ship's charges.

Depending on your phone, there are numerous ways to shut off data, text, wifi... All sorts of options.

http://www.crackberry.com has a wonderful forum for blackberry users that is separated by model, and even a forum based on who your cell provider is. I wouldn't be surprised if cruisers have asked similar questions there.

If you don't feel like digging through that site, just post up which phone you have and I will investigate it for you.

I am not that familiar with Verizon and Blackberry options- but I will tell you I have the BB Curve issued to me through my work and it does not work - at all - on the Cellular at Sea network :eek:.

So...when I cruise I do not have service on that phone while on the ship network - but I do when we are in port :rolleyes:. Someone told me that it was CDMA related - but I don't really know why the Verizon phone does not have service through Cellular at Sea. And since I would prefer that work NOT be able to reach me ;) - I have never really investigated it either :cool:.

I have a Verizon Blackberry and I turn the data off while I am on the ship. It is like $20 per mb.. ouch.

If you leave the phone on, you will be charged 10 cents for every incoming text and 50 cents for every outgoing. Calls are 2.49 per min if you answer/make them.

Here is the Verizon page with all the info:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

On a blackberry, your email alerts use your "data package", which comes through the cell signal. I'm guessing roaming data usage is billed pretty steeply. On top of the ship's charges.

Depending on your phone, there are numerous ways to shut off data, text, wifi... All sorts of options.

www.crackberry.com has a wonderful forum for blackberry users that is separated by model, and even a forum based on who your cell provider is. I wouldn't be surprised if cruisers have asked similar questions there.

If you don't feel like digging through that site, just post up which phone you have and I will investigate it for you.

So very nice of you to offer :).....I will read the info at CB.com and see what I can discover.

I have a Verizon Blackberry and I turn the data off while I am on the ship. It is like $20 per mb.. ouch.

If you leave the phone on, you will be charged 10 cents for every incoming text and 50 cents for every outgoing. Calls are 2.49 per min if you answer/make them.

Here is the Verizon page with all the info:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

But I want to be able to receive those emails when they come in.....if I turn off my data, I can't get that mail, can I? But thanks for the link! :)

So very nice of you to offer :).....I will read the info at CB.com and see what I can discover.

But I want to be able to receive those emails when they come in.....if I turn off my data, I can't get that mail, can I? But thanks for the link! :)

Correct. But it adds up quick if you leave it on. You did say you get a few a day so maybe it won't be that bad for you.

I would recommend just buying some internet minutes onboard to check the emails once a day. It'll be a lot cheaper to just do it that way.

I just talked with Dave at Verizon, who told me the best option would be to switch to text messaging (as opposed to email) and turn off my data package while roaming. He assured me if my data pkg was off while roaming, I would not incur those horrible charges I've read about on this site.

Thanks for all your help!

Can I ask a question?

Are you afraid that you'll never be able to retrieve the emails if you shut down your phone;

Or is it that youre going to be getting some important info in an email and need to be notified?

Can I ask a question?

Are you afraid that you'll never be able to retrieve the emails if you shut down your phone;

Or is it that youre going to be getting some important info in an email and need to be notified?

No, the emails will be there when I get to a computer. Just wanted to read them as soon as they came in. However, after talking with Verizon, I will turn off my data package (no emails at all, or "alerts"). But I can still receive/send texts. They are .50 to send and .05 to receive. Thanks!

No, the emails will be there when I get to a computer. Just wanted to read them as soon as they came in. However, after talking with Verizon, I will turn off my data package (no emails at all, or "alerts"). But I can still receive/send texts. They are .50 to send and .05 to receive. Thanks!

Correct me as I might be wrong, but sending/receiving texts still requires a network. And Cellular at Sea ain't cheap!

Archived