Just Not Treated Right

Jab5549

I have been on 8 cruises in the past twenty months, ALL on NCL. I stay in an owners suite, courtyard villa or penthouse suite ( recently only villas ) I am now over sixty, somewhat retired, love to cruise and am getting a poor signal from NCL that only if your staying in a basic room will they upgrade you, discount you or try to appeal to you. Their ad says free upgrades for EVERYBODY! but this is not so. If you want to spend triple to five times what everyone else is paying, there are no discounts or upgrades. I am also a Harrah's Diamond Player. Used to get a twenty percent discount but no more. If I stay in a balcony room for less money, they give a twenty percent discount, but because I like the amenities to the villas, I only get 10%. Does't seem right. I guess all things are'nt equal. You would think that they would go out of there way for those who are very repeat customers, who are willing to spend the additional monies for the better rooms to maybe treat them to the specialty restaurants instead of charging an additional $15. What extra does it really cost, I have to eat anyway. I own two restaurants on Long Island. It's possible that Kevin Sheehan has eaten in at least one of them because he lives in my neighborhood. And if he were a regular, like any other regular, he would know that I buy regulars a drink, an appetizer or a dessert just for being regulars, because without them, I wouldn't be in business. Companies that give things away to lure new people in are missing the big picture. It's all about the regulars. We all want to be acknowledged, we all love the attention and we all want to feel special. As an owner whos business is growing even in these hard times, I love to see repeat customers talking to other repeat customers who ultimately come just to see the other regulars, A meeting place. So why is it that NCL does not acknowlege me when I book a cruise ( which I only do through them ) My history is in the computer. Why is it that they don't go out of their way for me when I'm on board. Perhaps it's time to look at other lines. No matter where I go, I'll become a regular. Sad if you lose me

Sorry, but I don't see a mistreatment. Further, your statement indicates that you did receive a 10% discount, yet you say "free upgrades for EVERYBODY" is wrong?? You sound like a gambler that wants free compensation. Sorry, I don't see a problem.

A very wise cruiser once told me to never book a room I don't want. As a veteran of two cruises with Princess, and zero with NCL (though I'm planning a week on the Dawn before she sails away from Boston for the season) I feel compelled to remind that we are talking about mass marketed Cruising - Freestyle for the masses. I have booked obstructed ocean view's on both cruises and got exactly what I booked each time. The reality is I was hoping for an upgrade and booked a obstructed when I wanted a balcony - LOL @ ME! I also came to realize the dining room, pool deck, sunsets, sail away partys ports of call - everything I cruise for - all looks the same regardless of cabin. Bottom line is the old want vs. need. All I need is a ticket to board - I'll make my own fun from there.

Sometimes that will be a inside, obstructed, balcony or suite, this is supposed to be fun regardless. Remember fun? It's not just for funships anymore!

I recently went to Sears to get a new filter for my shop vac. I went to pay for my $15 filter and the clerk sez; you can get 10% if you fill out a sears card application. I handed over my sears card. Sorry no 10% for me. (Now feeling screwed over $1.50). Good news, I'm elegible for a 15% discount if I apply for a sears gold Mastercard - I hand over my sears gold Mastercard - sorry no 15% either (now feeling double screwed at a 1.5% price - considering a Sears/Kmart boycott all over a couple of bucks). Plenty of offers for new customer's. nothing much for the loyal customer.

If your mass marketing garden tractors or vacations - as consumers we have a responsibility to keep our expectations in check.

After multiple cruises on any given cruise line we would like to think somehow we are special guests - somehow recognized as a regular.

I might expect a different reception after 5 sailings with Paul Gauguin, Azmara, or Windstar than NCL, RCL or Carnival/Princess. To be fair...

I haven't spent dime #1 with NCL yet but already they are offering me comparable insider deals with credits and such - same as Princess is offering me after 2 Captain's Circle sailings.

Sometimes our expectations don't align with reality. Sometimes we have to question our loyalty, sometimes we need to look elsewhere to get those expectations met. If needs and expectations aren't met by the main stream cruise industry, theres a whole luxury segment that may offer a higher level of appreciation for loyalty along with a higher level of service (along with a higher level of cost i'm sure).

Remember; Never book a room you don't want.

Happy Cruising.

(...and don't hog the deck chairs.)

EXACTLY!

I am about to take only my 5th NCL cruise (balconies, 1 mini-suite) and I must say that at leat once on each cruise someone with NCL has done something or said something that made feel that NCL appreciated my bussiness!

Archived