Asking for tips and suggestions on 3day itinerary

lilyfrog73

OK, here goes. Trying to plan our stay in Bermuda (Sat 4/16-Mon 4/18) and see what we can see.

We dock at King's Wharf at 1pm on a Saturday (hoping that is Bermuda time).

• Want to catch a ferry to St. George (40 mins? & no times yet so hopefully there will be one shortly after we are allowed off the ship)
  • Fort St. Catherine: would like to visit 1st but depends on timing (closes at 4).
  • Head down to Alexandra Battery Park/Beach. (heard this was a good place for sea glass?)
  • Check out King's Square and Deliverance. Maybe a horse and carriage ride (thanks to a thread on CC ;)).
  • My challenge is getting to St Davids Lighthouse and Turtle Bay. What bus to here and from where? (this would be based on time left)
  • Catch the ferry back to the Dockyard

Sunday (we have the whole day and it's our 10th Anniversary :D)

• Get off the ship as early as we can and take a ferry (25mins?) to Hamilton.
  • Take a bus (#1 or #3?, ? time) to the caves (not sure if we will do both or not yet).
  • Catch a little lunch/drink at Swizzle Inn
  • Take bus (#10 or #11?, ? time) to BAMZ.
  • Take bus (?) back to Hamilton
  • Take bus (#7?) to Horseshoe Beach. Explore the beach, take some pics.
  • Take bus (#7) to Gibb's Lighthouse.
  • Take bus (#7 or #8 ?) back to Dockyard

Sunday (we sail at 5pm)

• Do anything on the above list we didn't get to do in the morning
  • Hang at the Dockyard for the rest of the day until sailing
    • Clocktower Mall
    • Craft Market
    • Glass Blowers/Rum Cake Factory

My plans seem over zealous so definitely looking for suggestions and tips.

This may impact your schedule but according to the 2010 summer ferry schedule there is no ferry service to St George on weekends. The 2011 summer schedule won't be released for about 2 weeks. There may be an unscheduled ferry running but you won't know that until you are in Bermuda.

Since you may be redoing your schedule, I won't comment except that if you were to do the sea glass beach at St George it would require you to carry any sea glass around with you until you return to the cruise ship plus the best pickins are at or very close to a low tide which normally occur twice in a 24 hour period. Suggestion would be to go to the sea glass beach near the Dockyard.

Taxis would be an expensive alternative.

When you have a plan B, post again and you'll get help.

SBtS

This may impact your schedule but according to the 2010 summer ferry schedule there is no ferry service to St George on weekends. The 2011 summer schedule won't be released for about 2 weeks. There may be an unscheduled ferry running but you won't know that until you are in Bermuda.

Since you may be redoing your schedule, I won't comment except that if you were to do the sea glass beach at St George it would require you to carry any sea glass around with you until you return to the cruise ship plus the best pickins are at or very close to a low tide which normally occur twice in a 24 hour period. Suggestion would be to go to the sea glass beach near the Dockyard.

Taxis would be an expensive alternative.

When you have a plan B, post again and you'll get help.

SBtS

Thanks for looking. I will enjoy my cruise and trip either way but I am baffled at the time frame we are docked in Bermuda and the fact that not many things are not open or running. I obviously didn't research my cruise and destination prior to booking basically because I chose this cruise because of the timing (spring break in my area and one less thing Grandma has to worry about with the kids), no flying (since we can drive to port) and I wanted sea days (we have 3).

It never dawned on me that there wouldn't be a ferry to St George when we arrived.

Thanks again!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is attempt #2! :)

We dock at King's Wharf at 1pm on a Saturday.

• Get off the ship and catch a #7 to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. Take in the sights there and then walk (maybe bus) to Horseshoe Bay.
  • Explore the beach and take some pics. Maybe take a walk on the paths to see the other beaches.
  • Take bus (#7 or #8 ?) back to Dockyard and re-board ship for dinner.

Sunday (we have the whole day and it's our 10th Anniversary :D)

• Get off the ship as early as we can and take a ferry (25mins?) to Hamilton.
  • Take a bus (#10 or #11?, ? time) to BAMZ and explore.
  • Take #10 or #11 to Swizzle Inn and catch little lunch/drink
  • Walk to the Caves, explore (not sure that we will do both)
  • Take bus (#?) to St George. Probably just do whatever depending on time. Some points of interest are Fort St. Catherine, King's Square and Deliverance. Maybe a horse and carriage ride (thanks to a thread on CC ;)), St Davids Lighthouse and Turtle Bay. What bus to here and from where? (this would be based on time left). Suggestions for this area welcome.

Sunday (we sail at 5pm)

• Hang at the Dockyard for the rest of the day until sailing
    • Clocktower Mall
    • Craft Market
    • Glass Blowers/Rum Cake Factory
    • Maritime Museum
    • Seaglass beach

The first and last day look good. On day one, since you will be at the south shore beaches, the only bus route available is route #7; the route #8 bus travels Middle Rd which is away from the beaches.

I didn't see mention of the purchase of transportation passes.

Sunday:

• ferry ride is about 20 minutes; make sure to check summer ferry schedule
  • a bus route #10 or #11 will get you to BAMZ; travel time 20 minutes.
  • a bus route #10 or #11 will take you from BAMZ to the Swizzle Inn; travel time about 10 minutes.
  • since bus routes #1 & #3 pass by the caves, I would take either to St George
  • I would not do St Davids Lighthouse and Turtle Bay; the bus ride there takes about 25 minutes.

To return to Hamilton from St George, you can take a route #10 or #11 bus

Make sure to check all bus & ferry schedules for Sunday availability, frequencies and times. Make sure you account for the extended waiting times for Sunday buses.

SBtS

The first and last day look good. On day one, since you will be at the south shore beaches, the only bus route available is route #7; the route #8 bus travels Middle Rd which is away from the beaches.

I didn't see mention of the purchase of transportation passes.

Sunday:

• ferry ride is about 20 minutes; make sure to check summer ferry schedule
  • a bus route #10 or #11 will get you to BAMZ; travel time 20 minutes.
  • a bus route #10 or #11 will take you from BAMZ to the Swizzle Inn; travel time about 10 minutes.
  • since bus routes #1 & #3 pass by the caves, I would take either to St George
  • I would not do St Davids Lighthouse and Turtle Bay; the bus ride there takes about 25 minutes.

To return to Hamilton from St George, you can take a route #10 or #11 bus

Make sure to check all bus & ferry schedules for Sunday availability, frequencies and times. Make sure you account for the extended waiting times for Sunday buses.

SBtS

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!

Thanks for the link! Enjoy your cruise as well. It'll be here before you know it. :)

Archived