Dumb question about carry-on booze

kittyness

I understand that each passenger is allowed 1 750-mL bottle of wine in their carry-on bag. Does each passenger have to carry their own? For instance, I don't really want to have to carry mine so I'd like to make my husband carry both bottles. hahahaha Will this be allowed or do we each need to carry 1?

I understand that each passenger is allowed 1 750-mL bottle of wine in their carry-on bag. Does each passenger have to carry their own? For instance, I don't really want to have to carry mine so I'd like to make my husband carry both bottles. hahahaha Will this be allowed or do we each need to carry 1?

HI Kittyness...as far as I know you can bring more wine than that (I believe you aren't allowed to bring on anything but wine), but you will just be charged a corkage fee for each bottle. They will also confiscate it from you and hold it - but deliver it to you on request (when eating and such). If you want booze in your room you would need to set up a bar service beforehand, or buy it on the ship. Wifey usually gets me a bar service for some scotch (which is essentially two bottles of scotch delivered to your room with glasses for 2x the price). This was our experience anyway.

Our last Carnival cruise we carried on 3 bottles of red wine and were charged 45$ corkage. But this was 7 years ago so maybe things have changed. There are some very knowledgeable cruisers on here who will set the facts straight for you.

Inver

PS...there are no dumb questions really...except for that time we went into Kentucky Fried Chicken and the clerk asked "...are you here to buy chicken?" We told her we were there for egg rolls.

I bottle each. They dont care who carries it.

Just found this on CruiseMates...

Carnival Cruise Line

clearpixel.gif

The company web site states "A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board." Here is the policy:

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship.

Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ports-of-Call:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ship Gift Shops:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Hope this helps.

Inver

Two passengers over 21... one bottle per passenger. Carnival doesn't care who carries it on board.

:)

if bringing wine, remember a corkscrew

I've read numerous times on here that your room steward will happily bring you a corkscrew if you plan to drink the wine in your room.

Don't know about wine glasses, though... anyone? Bueller?

I've read numerous times on here that your room steward will happily bring you a corkscrew if you plan to drink the wine in your room.

Don't know about wine glasses, though... anyone? Bueller?

Yes, they'll bring you red or white wine glasses as well.

Has anyone ever had trouble flying to the port with a bottle of wine in the suitcase? I'd like to have a glass or two out on the balcony with DH, but a bit concerned about how well wine "flies". Doesn't spill out in the luggage, does it?

Has anyone ever had trouble flying to the port with a bottle of wine in the suitcase? I'd like to have a glass or two out on the balcony with DH, but a bit concerned about how well wine "flies". Doesn't spill out in the luggage, does it?

Leave it on its side for a few days to check for leaks. If the cork is bad, the lower cabin pressure could allow wine to leak out.

I went up to the bar in the artium and asked for 2 wine glasses.

The bartender said...you are not drinking in your room are you?...

I said,"hell no that is forbidden"

he said...red or white?

I said, " Both!"

He gave me 4 glasses 2 for red 2 for white...and a big how the hell is your vacation going sir smile!! God, I need a cruise!

I went up to the bar in the artium and asked for 2 wine glasses.

The bartender said...you are not drinking in your room are you?...

I said,"hell no that is forbidden"

he said...red or white?

I said, " Both!"

He gave me 4 glasses 2 for red 2 for white...and a big how the hell is your vacation going sir smile!! God, I need a cruise!

I would have said yes, because AFAIK it's not against the rules. But, I would have had a couple of dollars in my hand so I doubt he would have asked at all.

There are plenty of good wines these days with a twist cap. And no...it is not Boones Farm. :D

Correct. actually some great wines....Some of the best from Australia and Portugal. Many winemakers believe the twist top is best and offers no chance for skunked wines due to bad corks.

You can order a corkscrew via the TV room service.My first one broke so I needed a second. And since when aren't you allowed to drink in the room? Poppycock- you can order alcohol through room service and they aren't expecting you to sit in the hall with it.

And the dining room corkage fees are 1)hit or miss depending on your waiter and 2) not for opening the wine, despite the name. We always opened ours early to let it breathe and still sometimes got charged.

We have learned to have wine delivered to our hotel the day before we cruise via wines.com. We can order in advance, they have a very wide selection and decent prices, and we order an extra bottle for the night before we cruise. No worries about wine bottles breaking in our luggage, and when we do all carryon, no problems there. Hotels are used to guests receiving packages so no problems with that either.

Archived