Stroller advice please

AandBmom

We're sailing on the Carnival Sensation next week. Our 7.5 mos old daughter will be with us. I've never cruised w/ an infant before. Here is my dilemma; DD is still in her infant bucket car seat. We will be bringing this with us and hope to use it on the plane (if there is an extra seat) and she will use it in our rental car before our cruise as well as in taxi's in port. The infant carseat attaches to the matching graco stroller. I like the stroller very much. I am thinking it would be best to bring the stroller along so we don't have to carry DD and carseat through the airport, instead she can attach to the graco stroller. I'm also thinking that the stroller will be convenient for our 2 days at Disney pre-cruise b/c the basket will hold snacks, drinks, hats, sunscreen, etc. for our other kids. Also, DD can nap nicely in it while we're at Disney. While the graco stroller is fabulous for the airport and Disney, it's bulky and annoying for the ship. On the ship I'd rather have a simple umbrella stroller. Our daughter can sit in it nicely at meals and we can navigate the busy areas of the ship better with the smaller stroller. I'm thinking we could check the umbrella stroller on the flight and then carry it in the basket under the graco stroller while going on/off ship, in/out airport, etc. Then while we're on the cruise we could stow the graco one under our bed or in the closet. Does this sound like too much of a pain? What have other people done? Advice please.

Thanks.

Hi,

Having twins I like to be as prepared as possible and I think that lowers my anxiety level!

I will probably be in the minority here but I would probably pack the same way that you are discussing. It is better to have what you need (even if it takes up more space in the tiny cabin) than being stressed out over where to put things.

At 7.5 months you will need to carry a lot of stuff, so you do need the extra space. However, I honestly dont think that you need the umbrella stroller, unless your graco is huge! There is enough room in the elevators and buffet areas to walk around with the stroller. Since I only have a double stroller I ended up buying to smaller strollers for the trip, though not the umbrella kind. I was glad that I went with the bigger ones because I had room for all their food and diaper bag, etc. Plus, I had to park the two strollers next to our table, etc. and I always found space without bothering other people.

Good luck!

We are sailing next week on the Spirit and although our DD is 3 we know we will need a stroller and carseat too (must be prepared). We were dealing with the dilema of having to bring both an umbrella stroller AND a full-sized carseat and were dreading having to lug them around....

Thankfully we found a Sit N Stroll - http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Gold-Stroll-Stroller-Combination/dp/B001NCE604/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301596235&sr=8-1

AWESOME. May be a good solution for you. We ended up finding one on Craigslist for $100 (brand new in box)...might be somethig to consider.

i would also suggest bringing only 1 stroller- the less things you have the better. i loved having the full size stroller when ds was still in the bucket carrier but once he grow out of that i wanted an umbrella stroller. after much researd i found an amazing umbrella stroller that actually has an attachment for the bucket carrier (the only umbrella that can accomidate a bucket carrier!!!!) it was a little pricey ($200) but so worth it. so much smaller and easier to navigate than the full size for its handy for ds now and will work for the next baby coming on oct.

im not sure if buying another stroller is an option for you but if it is you should consider this one http://www.amazon.com/Zooper-Lightweight-Umbrella-Stroller-Black/dp/B004GJXNIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301598599& and if you order from amazon you would get it in 2 days, in time for your trip :D

Thanks for the links to the strollers. The both look like good options. This is our 4th baby so I was hoping to get away with not buying any new baby stuff, but now you've got me thinking. I'll keep it in mind as I figure this out.

I think I would just bring the graco, and leave the umbrella stroller behind - If you're going to have to find space in the cabin for the Graco anyway, why not just keep using it on board? It might be slightly more hassle, but at least you can load it with everything you need for the children, and you know your little one will be comfortable and safe.

How about buying a Snap n Go (one of those small stroller frames that just holds the infant seat)? They are easy to push, lightweight, and have a good basket. There are a few diff brands. You can usually get one used on Craigslist for about $30-40. And LO would still be comfy in her car seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Snap-Go-Single-Stroller/dp/B002U44XOI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301622724&sr=8-3

How about buying a Snap n Go (one of those small stroller frames that just holds the infant seat)? They are easy to push, lightweight, and have a good basket. There are a few diff brands. You can usually get one used on Craigslist for about $30-40. And LO would still be comfy in her car seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Snap-Go-Single-Stroller/dp/B002U44XOI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301622724&sr=8-3

THIS! I used a snap 'n go when DS was in his bucket seat and it was awesome. Good sized basket on it, too so you won't lose your storage space.

i would also suggest bringing only 1 stroller- the less things you have the better. i loved having the full size stroller when ds was still in the bucket carrier but once he grow out of that i wanted an umbrella stroller. after much researd i found an amazing umbrella stroller that actually has an attachment for the bucket carrier (the only umbrella that can accomidate a bucket carrier!!!!) it was a little pricey ($200) but so worth it. so much smaller and easier to navigate than the full size for its handy for ds now and will work for the next baby coming on oct.

im not sure if buying another stroller is an option for you but if it is you should consider this one http://www.amazon.com/Zooper-Lightweight-Umbrella-Stroller-Black/dp/B004GJXNIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301598599& and if you order from amazon you would get it in 2 days, in time for your trip :D

The Zooper is not the only umbrella stroller that can accommodate a bucket seat. Others include the Britax B-Nimble (~ $150 on ebay), Peg Perego Si (~ $180), and Combi Cosmo (~ $125). Those are just the ones that spring to mind.

I've traveled with an umbrella stroller (Mac Volo) and would not travel with a full-sized stroller, it's just so convenient to have a small and lightweight stroller for the airport (or narrow ship hallways). I'm currently shopping for a replacement stroller, and looking for one that has an adjustable leg rest and recline, for DS to nap in when we're walking around, and possibly for diaper changes (the ship's public bathrooms typically DO NOT have diaper changing tables). B-Nimble and Si fit the bill there. Again, there may be others.

ETA: Even umbrella strollers that are designated to work with their brand of infant carseat, like the Britax, will work with other brands. B-Nimble has two bars that a Chaperone snaps onto, but also a strap that you can use to affix almost any other brand of car seat.

We are traveling next month with our 8 mo old (also the youngest of 4) who is still in her bucket seat. We are flying cross-country to catch our cruise out of Vancouver. I have a snap & go that I LOVE and intend to use. My dilemna is that I also love the convenience of the umbrella stroller for on the ship. The biggest advantage I see for the umbrella stroller vs. the bucket seat is that she can face forward and will enjoy strolling around the ship more that way. I wasn't considering my larger Graco stroller that the bucket seat snaps into because it is so bulky to fold. My plan right now is to take the snap & go and the umbrella. I think I'll store the snap & go on the ship and just use the umbrella.

Archived