Antarctica Ross Sea

Lirio

Having done Antarctica Peninsula with Prince Albert II and after the Arctic with Lindblad this July, we are considering going to the Ross Sea.

So far we have identified Orion Cruises. Any information about this ship? Any other alternative?

Having done Antarctica Peninsula with Prince Albert II and after the Arctic with Lindblad this July, we are considering going to the Ross Sea.

So far we have identified Orion Cruises. Any information about this ship? Any other alternative?

Hi Lirio,

Another couple of options are the Spirit of Enderby (Heritage Expeditions), and the Kapitan K, through Quark.

Cheers

Spent 31 days on the Kapitan K. Ross Sea, McMurdo, Dry Valleys, etc., etc.

Kapitan K is making the last passenger trip in November 2011 if I am not mistaken.

If you found another ship that is going to the Ross, book it now. The trips are FEW and FAR between. My trip was oversold by 20 and the waiting list was about 100. Very expensive trip but as you say, well worth it. I did the triple cabin share with two unknown females. Although the cabin was very small, we all managed to get along. Great, great time. I had been offered a job in McMurdo years ago and chickened out. I just had to see what I missed.

Yes Kapitan K will be out of service by 2013. I expect that Quark will arrange other vessel, but so far it is not announced.

A job in MacMurdo would be a dream! At least for one season.

Thanks!

Yes Kapitan K will be out of service by 2013. I expect that Quark will arrange other vessel, but so far it is not announced.

A job in MacMurdo would be a dream! At least for one season.

Thanks!

Here's a list for Ratheon Polar Services hiring for next season. For most of these jobs you have to be a US or New Zealand citizen or legal resident but I am sure every country that has a research station in Antarctica has quite a few openings of the same type. May be worth a try.

http://www.rayjobs.com/index.cfm?NavID=119&codes=Rayjobs_Home

Good luck!! I ask information for Orion. Soon they will launch 2013 departures and rates. This will be a nice chance to visit NZ again and maybe visit Hobart. I have been to Sydney and Melbourne and I was missing Hobart.

• 4 months later...

We have just booked for the Jan 21, 2012 expedition on Orion.

It includes 4 sub-antarctic islands plus 5 days in the Ross Sea area.

The theme is the 100th anniversary of the Scott and Shackleton expeditions.

We embark and disembark from Bluff in New Zealand, which is near Invercargill.

There is another expedition on January 3 which celebrates the Mawson Expedition and included a visit to the Mawson Hut.

We are seriously looking forward to this, having previously visited the Antarctic Peninsular aboard the old Royal Princess.

The ship itself looks very good with decent size cabins (for an expedition ship) and only carries 106 passengers.

Cheers,

Steve and Chris.

KK is currently sold out and the waiting list is long - I am on it!

Waiting with fingers crossed !

Well I am no longer waiting - I am booked ! Going on the KK's final month long voyage in Dec. It goes from:

Hobart, and journeys to Casey Station, Vincennes Bay, Shackleton Ice Shelf, Mirnyy Base, Gaussberg, West Ice Shelf, Wyatt Earp Islands, Davis Research Station, Larsemann Hills, Amery Ice Shelf, Heard Island, Kerguelen Islands, St. Paul Island, and ending up in my home port of Fremantle.

Counting down the days! And trying to sort out my flight and accom in Hobart so I can be there for the big Dec 1 celebrations of the Centenary anniversary. There will be a big flotilla of ships in the harbour etc.

Yours sounds great Cands - and its fab having something to look forward to !!

Well I am no longer waiting - I am booked ! Going on the KK's final month long voyage in Dec. It goes from:

I just looked at the Quark site and the KK itinerary. That looks absolutely fantastic!!

I'm sure I've seen a documentary on the KK. The whole icebreaking thing must be amazing to behold.

An I thought Orion was expensive!!:eek:

Have a fantastic trip.

Steve.

I just looked at the Quark site and the KK itinerary. That looks absolutely fantastic!!

I'm sure I've seen a documentary on the KK. The whole icebreaking thing must be amazing to behold.

An I thought Orion was expensive!!:eek:

Have a fantastic trip.

Steve.

LOL trust me I was a little surprised when the bank manager let me have the cash!

Totally worth it tho. The regions we went to last year - only the KK can get there - none of the peninsular ships get remotely near Riser-Larsen coast across the Weddell Sea pack ice.

Yep there have been a couple of docos over the years on the ole KK. I first picked it as my dream ship 20 years ago - I always knew I would travel on it and now its giong to be a second time!

And yes - the actual science behind icebreaking was fascinating to be experiencing daily. It was so smooth on board - half the time you barely realised the ship was moving. Unlike out in the open ocean where KK rocks incredibly (40 to 50 degrees). But I personally loved all that!!:p

Archived