Cave Tubing? - AVOID X-STREAM

West Coast

I would avoid X-Stream as they have a "hidden" tax on their price of 8% that they don't tell you about in any of the on-line info - you only discover it after they confirm availability and you actually go to book/pay the deposit - so when comparing prices, keep this in mind.

Why not disclose this up front???

Seemed like a scam to me. No other tubing tour operator charges this.

Instead, we booked with Coral Breezes - received great service (excellent emails, confirmation, etc.).

There are lots of independant companies out there - do a bit of research/searches, etc... Caveat Emptor.

We are going on the Elation and stopping in Belize. I just booked the cave-tubing with X-Stream for the day we stop there. Are they good at getting you back to the ship on time? Should we wear our bathing suits under clothes and bring a change of clothes? Is it best to wear water shoes or should we wear old gym shoes when taking the tour? My husband and I are in our 50's. Will this be very difficult for us to do? We are also taking our teen daughter who should have no problem. Thanks.

Janice

Teach4Jan@aol.com

Susanf31,

We are considering Yhoni, but our price was quoted at $60 pp for just my husband and I. Do you have any idea as to why the price might be higher before I e-mail and question them about it?

Cruzqueen - Don't know when you are going, but maybe through the boards you can find someone else on your cruise who also wants to book and you can get the $45 rate. I know for our family of 4, we were quoted $50 pp. Yhony did say that if we met others and brought them along, that the rate would drop to $45 pp.

Good luck! Hope you have a great time no matter who you go with!

Sandy

We used XStream this past January. It was the highlight of our trip. Richard (guide and founder of XStream) met us at the bandstand just steps from the tender dock. We paid $60 each. The ship tour was $90 each. He took us to an entrance to the caves that the ships don't use. We could hear them in the forest going in another direction. We had ten in our group. Richard gave us a tour of town first and a running documentary on the history of Belize. During the easy walk through the jungle to get to the caves, Richard stopped at points along the way to give an ecological tour as well. I never knew allspice was actually just one leaf. It's was very informative. He is very well educated and an absolute gentleman. We had one little girl in our group and he paid extra special attention to her. It is very safe. There were also clean restrooms and changing facilities. Make sure you order the lunch for $5. It was excellant. I also highly recommend the Lighthouse Ale. Richard is very much aware of the ships arrival and departure times. He had us back to the dock with an hour to spare. I can't say enough about him.

We didn't have Richard as our guide, we had Thomas when we used X-Stream. While he was great with everyone in the water, the ride there and back was completely silent (though he was a little more talkative on the way back after spending the afternoon with him). No interesting history to tell, and it was like pulling teeth to get him to talk. The walk through the forest was pretty quiet, too. I was disappointed after hearing so many great things about Richard, but we still enjoyed the trip.

That's interesting about the tax. We paid it, but I didn't think that any other vendors wouldn't be charging it. I just booked Shark/Ray Alley with Coral Breeze and they charged it. Makes me wonder about the legitimacy of the other companies if they're not charging it, unless they're just eating the cost of it through the rate they charge.

Hi, I recently took the tour, it was fascinating, my family loved it. To be honest, I'm not a great swimmer, and I had a young child with me, but the tour company I took was very good. They took extra precaution with my child, so I felt very safe. I was honest in the beginning and told the guide that I was not a good swimmer. The company I went with was A-1 Travel, I paid $60.00, and they took us to areas that no one else went. Our guide really made it lots more fun. You can email them if you like at attbelize@hotmail.com, or call them at 1-877-5BELIZE. Tell them Fred sent you if you decide to try them.

We didn't have to leave the Tourist Village, our guide met us INSIDE the compound, which was much easier.

People...this person has posted this very statement on every Belize cave tubing thread....looks like a scam advertisement to me

Archived