Art Auctions on Freedom???

Hello!!!

We just got off of the Freedom 2 weeks ago and never noticed if they have art auctions?

My parents are leaving on the Freedom on Sunday. They asked me if they had them, but I dont recall seeing anything???

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ellen

We were on Freedom in 2010 and they had them and then we were recently on Allure and there were no art auctions. I believe Royal stopped the art auctions, but im sure somebody who cruises more than i do would know for sure.

Royal Caribbean has terminated its relationship with Park West Galleries. They've begun their own in-house program (not unlike Princess), calling it Art Actually. It's currently active on a few ships, but has not yet been initiated fleet-wide. I know one of the former assistant auctioneers with Park West ... she advised me that it was strictly a business decision; but off the record, RCI had a problem being associated with Park West, and is currently in litigation over a matter of authenticity (or lack thereof).

Royal Caribbean has terminated its relationship with Park West Galleries. They've begun their own in-house program (not unlike Princess), calling it Art Actually. It's currently active on a few ships, but has not yet been initiated fleet-wide. I know one of the former assistant auctioneers with Park West ... she advised me that it was strictly a business decision; but off the record, RCI had a problem being associated with Park West, and is currently in litigation over a matter of authenticity (or lack thereof).

Good riddance to Park Worst:)

Art Actually is not a Royal Caribbean company, or so the auctioneer on Navigator told me. They've worked with Royal Caribbean over the last 22 years to provide the art work for each ship and have just now started doing the art auctions on the ships. I know they're on Oasis, Allure and Navigator but I do not know if they've spread further than that yet. The nice thing about them is that they conducted an art tour of Navigator which was really quite interesting. Their auctions appear to more on the up and up than Park West but I still don't think I'd buy art on a cruise ship. They were heavy on five artists -- Goddard, Wyland, Pamela Dale and two other I don't remember off hand. I'm just happy to not be inundated with Kincaid and Peter Max (two artists I can't stand).

Good riddance to Park Worst:)

Agreed ... I would refer to it as "Addition by Subtraction". The only thing that I *DO* miss was the free sparkling wine that they handed out ... under no circumstances would I ever buy anything but would register anyway in order to have a glass or three of the wine. :)

Michael

Archived