New York area hotel/parking

phoenix_joy

We are booked on a cruise out of New York on Sept 11th this year - bit on a ominous date I know. We are driving from Toronto and thinking of staying the night before and a couple of nights after the cruise in the New York area so that we can do some local sightseeing.

Is it at all possible to get a deal on parking if we plan to spend more than one night? The parking rates are scaring the heck out of me. Is it at all feasible to stay across the river in NJ and get a deal?

There are several options. The best thing you can do is dump your car for the duration of your time in NY.

Embassy Suites in Secaucus has a package for your date for $315 that includes a hotel room, parking and transportation to the port. You would have to pay for your transportation back to the hotel (about $50).

There are several park/sleep options at Newark Airport through trinityreservations.com. The Fairfield Inn is $122 including tax and includes room, breakfast, and 14 days parking. You can book a car service to Manhattan, probably in the $75 range. Check with the transportation service listed on their web site - 888-816-0973 x..0 Taxi to Newark Penn Station, train to NY and cab to the pier would run about $50.

Someone recently booked Candlewood Suites in Secaucus and got 8 days parking - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386901 They have a shuttle in the morning to Secacus Junction where you can take the train to NY and cab to the pier for about $20.

Where do you want to stay post cruise and what is your budget? You could disembark and stay in Manhattan for 2 nights and then return back to wherever your car is located.

"Someone recently booked Candlewood Suites in Secaucus and got 8 days parking - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386901 They have a shuttle in the morning to Secacus Junction where you can take the train to NY and cab to the pier for about $20."

I certainly like the idea of staying in NJ the night before the cruise, leaving the car for the duration of the cruise and staying in Manhatten for a couple of nights when we get back. Certainly not looking for anything extravagent in Manhatten since we won't be in the room much.

I will check out the Candlewood Suites and hotwire etc... for Manhatten hotels.

Hi From Richmond Hill!!!!:D If you leave your house at 6 am cross at Kingston you will be in Secause by 3:00 in the afternoon. We have done this trip a million times,and staying in Secause is your best bet. The shopping is amazing. Bus into NY is $3.20, stops in front of your hotel. It only takes 10 minutes to get there! The distance between Secause to Manhattan is CN tower to the 401!:)

I like the idea of staying in Secaucus the night before the cruise. I like the idea of staying in Manhatten the two nights after the cruise but the hotel prices are very high. My wife and daughter stayed in a hotel near Central Park a couple of years ago over the August long weekend for approx. $120/night and it was at least a 3 star hotel. At the moment,the prices are near $300 and higher for Sept, 20-22. Any reason why they are so high for that time of year?

Not a big surprise - that's Fashion Week time. We searched for a reasonable room for someone last year for similar dates and prices were sky high. The summer is over and everyone is back in NY - the weather is nice - everything is in high gear again.

I like the idea of staying in Secaucus the night before the cruise. I like the idea of staying in Manhatten the two nights after the cruise but the hotel prices are very high. My wife and daughter stayed in a hotel near Central Park a couple of years ago over the August long weekend for approx. $120/night and it was at least a 3 star hotel. At the moment,the prices are near $300 and higher for Sept, 20-22. Any reason why they are so high for that time of year?

Your dates are peak season. Peak season runs from the day after Labor Day to New Years Day. Prices are steep and stay that way. Comparing apples to oranges as your August dates are off season.

I have found that The Park South Hotel and the NY Salisbury often are good value hotels. The first is a boutique hotel in the Murray Hill neighborhood and the latter is right below Central Park and very near Times Square in Midtown.

Archived