Vancouver restaurants

emsachs

Hi! Does anybody know any GREAT restaurants in Vancouver?

We are not looking for anything fancy, just great food. (please NO chain restaurants).

I also heard that Vancouver has a great Chinatown. Any Chinese restaurants would also be helpful.

Thanks,

"Never lift more than you can eat"

"Feed a cold and feed a fever"

:-)

Guest enjoycruises

Grouchy: We will be in Vancouver 2 1/2 days before sailing to Alaska in June. Would it be wise to buy an Entertainment Book for dining and sightessing?

Let me preface this post by saying that my family name is Wong and that I love good Chinese food. Been eating it all my life! :-)

Before our last Alaska cruise we spent our pre-cruise in Vancouver. My son picked a restaurant out of the phone book for dinner and we wound up at Sun Sui Wah. After dinner, my mother-in-law, my brother, my wife, the kids and I all said that that was the best dinner that we had ever had. We liked it so much that we are going back to Vancouver in August for another Alaska cruise and plan on eating there again.

Sun Sui Wah is not in Chinatown. Here is their website:

http://www.sunsuiwah.com/e-about-1.html

-Steven

I also heard that Vancouver has a great Chinatown. Any Chinese restaurants would also be helpful.

The best Chinese restaurants are NOT in Chinatown.

As Steven mentioned (btw, I'm also a Wong) Sun Siu Wah is excellent. They have 2 locations: one on Main Street in Vancouver and one in Richmond (where the airport is).

Another good Chinese restaurant is Kirin. They have 4 locations: Kirin Mandarin on Alberni (near Robson St); and Kirin Seafood on Cambie St; in Richmond; and in Coquitlam (but this will be too out of the way for you). If you venture into Richmond, there are oodles of good Chinese restaurants.

If you stay in town, Pink Pearl on E. Hastings is decent, though I find their banquets better than the regular menu fare. Imperial Chinese Seafood on Burrard is pretty good, but rather pricy. It's very close to Canada Place and has a nice view.

Lots of other smaller places around town as well. If you need more names, let me know. :)

whatis near the aiport, as we only have one day in Vancouver and we plan to get off cruise ship and then spend the one day there, we couldnot spend more time, as we are spending a wek in Alaska prior to the southbound cruise to Vancouver. We have a hotel next door to the airport, Delta Hotel, I believe is the name, so we are looking to be close to the airport for a nice dinner.

Thanks

Do you know how far this restaurant is from Days Inn Downtown on Pender Street. Any other tips for restaurants in and around this hotel that we can walk to. We were advised not to walk to Chinatown or Gastown at night from this hotel. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

along Pender-catch a Main Street bus and ask the driver to let you off at the Restaurant.You will get to see some of the "not so nice" parts of town and some of the local wildlife. The food is excellent and well worth the bus ride. I love fresh Dungemess crab in garlic and black bean sauce and spicy squid.

Steve Wong,

Thanks for your recomendation of a chinese restaurant in Vancouver.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you specifically order that was so great?

We ordered a LOT of food! :-) A couple of dishes that really stood out were recommended by our waiter as specials. We had the recommended Winter Melon Soup and the Roasted Squab. The Roasted Squab is supposed to be one of the specialties and it was great. They also are supposed to have a special of King Crab Legs that we did not get last time but I plan to try this when we are there in August this year. We also had a steamed rock cod. This was a special treat since it is one of my favorite dishes but there is currently a moratorium on rockfish fishing in Northern California where I live. We also had the Peking Duck.

Enjoy!

-Steven

We ate at the Five Sails in the Pan Pacific. The restaurant was rated as 5◊ by AAA. About 36 hrs later when we checked out I was asked how our dinner there was. I could NOT remember what we ate. To me a meal rated 5◊ (and that pricey) should be more memorable. We're not planning on dining there again this trip, but we'll have to look into some of the Chinese places mentioned here.

Do you know how far this restaurant is from Days Inn Downtown on Pender Street. Any other tips for restaurants in and around this hotel that we can walk to. We were advised not to walk to Chinatown or Gastown at night from this hotel. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The Sun Sui Wah is on Main Street at 23rd Ave. You'd need a taxi to get there or take public transit. It's maybe a 10-15 min taxi ride depending on traffic. If you go during the day, that stretch of Main St. is full of funky clothing stores, 2nd-hand shops and little cafes if you're into that sort of thing.

From Days Inn, I actually think it's ok to walk to Gastown if you first walk north towards the waterfront (where Canada Place is) then walk along the much busier (pedestrian-wise) street to Gastown. i.e. don't use Pender. You're within walking distance of lots of restaurants, just depends how far you're willing to go and what you want.

I am very interested in a good Sushi place while in Vancouver. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Lots and lots of sushi places in Vancouver. One of the best is Tojo's on Broadway. Very busy, very innovative. Most celebs who happen to be in town find their way to Tojo's, but hey, they can afford it.

enjoycruises...You mentioned buying a Vancouver Entertainment Book. I was just on their website and was able to purchase it for half price ($18.00 plus $5 shipping)! I believe this offer is available to those who have already purchased one for their own city.

You might want to check it out.

Lots and lots of sushi places in Vancouver. One of the best is Tojo's on Broadway. Very busy, very innovative. Most celebs who happen to be in town find their way to Tojo's, but hey, they can afford it.

Tojo's has been voted the best sushi restaurant in North America for several years. FYI - Tojo invented the Californa Roll. many years ago. It is expensive, but oh so worth it for a special occassion, or whenever the budget permits.

• 1 month later...
Tojo's has been voted the best sushi restaurant in North America for several years. FYI - Tojo invented the Californa Roll. many years ago. It is expensive, but oh so worth it for a special occassion, or whenever the budget permits.

Although Tojo's sounds GREAT to me, I'm sure that most of our group does not do sushi.

So..... is there a "special" restaurant in Vancouver that we MUST go to.

I'm looking for "local" kind of place that has outstanding food.

Decor is secondary.

For seafood - try THE CANNERY restaurant located on Commissioner Street right on the water. Yes they have a coupon in the Entertainment book. This would not be walking distance from your hotels but a short cab ride - probably 10 mins.

Another great restaurant is THE STONE GRILL (also in the Entertainment book) located at the foot of Granville Street under the Granville Street Bridge right on the shore of False Creek and accross from Granville Island. Excellent food that you cook on a hot rock.

In Stanley Park try the TEA HOUSE.

Hello BCHappyGal,

I, along with 13 family members and friends, will be in Vancouver in the middle part of May. Starting early on a Sat. morning we will be flying across country arriving in Seattle about 1:00, renting 3 mini-vans and driving to Vancouver. I anticipate we will be arriving in Vacnouver about 5:30 - 6:30. Do you agree with the timing?

After a long day, the 14 of us will need to find a restaurant close to our hotel. We are staying at the Ramada Limited on Pender. I think we need something casual with a diverse menu to accomodate all of us. I have been considering Steamworks. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on a retaurant?

Thanks for your help.

Archived