Question for seasoned Cabo visitors

cruzhappy88

We were in Cabo San Lucas on a cruise last year. We took a water taxi to see the Arch, etc and then were dropped off at the beach, I believe it was called Medano Beach. We played on the beach and sat in lounge chairs in front of a resort and ordered drinks. In April we will be there for 2 cruise days. We plan on going to the same beach 1 day, but I am looking for ideas for the other day. It is me and my husband and our kids. Are there good places to snorkel or other things to see in Cabo? Also, I have read on these boards that some of Medano beach can be a wild party atmosphere. Are there places to avoid? We want to avoid the party scene with our kids. Thank you for any info you might be able to share with me.

We were in Cabo San Lucas on a cruise last year. We took a water taxi to see the Arch, etc and then were dropped off at the beach, I believe it was called Medano Beach. We played on the beach and sat in lounge chairs in front of a resort and ordered drinks. In April we will be there for 2 cruise days. We plan on going to the same beach 1 day, but I am looking for ideas for the other day. It is me and my husband and our kids. Are there good places to snorkel or other things to see in Cabo? Also, I have read on these boards that some of Medano beach can be a wild party atmosphere. Are there places to avoid? We want to avoid the party scene with our kids. Thank you for any info you might be able to share with me.

The crazy places on Medano are Billygans Island and the Mango Deck. More quiet and great for kids would be Baja Cantina, Sand Bar, Medano Beach Club or Tabascos.

I would take a snorkle tour one day. All of the them will take you either to Santa Maria or Chilano Bays which are about a 45 minute boat ride away. They will provide lunch and an open bar after snorkling. We have been on many but prefer Pez Gato if you like the smaller catamarans (30-50 people depending on which of 3 boats they use) or the EcoCat which is a huge catamaran. Both are very fun and about the same price. They are about 4 hours total and will include a tour of the arch, sea lion colonly etc.

Or you may want to hire a driver and head up to the nearby town of Todos Santos which is about an hour away. It is a cute little artsy town with lots of small shops and great restuarants. Then you could stop at Cerritos beach which is about 10 minutes from there to check out the gorgeous scenery and the waves at this popular surfer beach. There is a nice little beach bar there where you could sit and have a cocktail.

We are going next week and I have similar questions so I would love some more responses. We have decided to cancel our snorkeling tour that we signed up for with the boat, to save money. We would still love to snorkel though so is taking a water taxi to Lover's beach a good idea? Any recommendations?

We are on the Oosterdam that leaves next Saturday. We are going to try Eco Cat. I am concerned about the water temps, which have been in the low 70's leading up to this trip. When we went the last time in March, I tried to get in the water, but it was too cold. I now know that the water warms up in late May, and is warm until early December:(.

Anyway, where I am going with this is that Eco Cat is large enough that if it is cold, or rough, we'll still have a nice tour. I felt the prices are fairly reasonable, and a close walk from where the tender is in the Marina.

We have gone to Santa Maria Beach twice, which is great. We drive over to Chilleano for a moment, but only looked. We have done Los Arcos, and kayaked- that was fun too.

Have a great trip!

We are on the Oosterdam that leaves next Saturday. We are going to try Eco Cat. I am concerned about the water temps, which have been in the low 70's leading up to this trip. When we went the last time in March, I tried to get in the water, but it was too cold. I now know that the water warms up in late May, and is warm until early December:(.

Anyway, where I am going with this is that Eco Cat is large enough that if it is cold, or rough, we'll still have a nice tour. I felt the prices are fairly reasonable, and a close walk from where the tender is in the Marina.

We have gone to Santa Maria Beach twice, which is great. We drive over to Chilleano for a moment, but only looked. We have done Los Arcos, and kayaked- that was fun too.

Have a great trip!

You will love the EcoCat and yes, the water is still very cold, High 60's - low 70's until June. It is a gorgeous boat and hopefully you will be lucky enough to see some of the late whales! They were still putting on quite a show right in front on my friends's home last week and she lives very close to Santa Maria Bay where the EcoCat goes. We leave for Cabo for 2 weeks on the 15th and are not planning on swimming at all in the ocean- we will stick to the pools this trip.

Have a fabulous trip!

We are going next week and I have similar questions so I would love some more responses. We have decided to cancel our snorkeling tour that we signed up for with the boat, to save money. We would still love to snorkel though so is taking a water taxi to Lover's beach a good idea? Any recommendations?

You would have to bring your own gear but I still do not reccomend snorkling there. It is a very tiny area and there is so much boat traffic when a cruise ship is in that it is very crowded and the water gets very churned up. You would constantly have to be watching to make sure you didn't get run over! We have snorkled there but only on days when there is no ship and early in the morning when there is no one else there.

You would have to bring your own gear but I still do not reccomend snorkling there. It is a very tiny area and there is so much boat traffic when a cruise ship is in that it is very crowded and the water gets very churned up. You would constantly have to be watching to make sure you didn't get run over! We have snorkled there but only on days when there is no ship and early in the morning when there is no one else there.

so is there a place you would recommend??

so is there a place you would recommend??

Only Chilano and Santa Maria Bays which are where the snorkling tours go. That is still going to be your best bet. Gear, lunch, open bar for $30-$40 depending on which company you book with.

The crazy places on Medano are Billygans Island and the Mango Deck. More quiet and great for kids would be Baja Cantina, Sand Bar, Medano Beach Club or Tabascos.

I would take a snorkle tour one day. All of the them will take you either to Santa Maria or Chilano Bays which are about a 45 minute boat ride away. They will provide lunch and an open bar after snorkling. We have been on many but prefer Pez Gato if you like the smaller catamarans (30-50 people depending on which of 3 boats they use) or the EcoCat which is a huge catamaran. Both are very fun and about the same price. They are about 4 hours total and will include a tour of the arch, sea lion colonly etc.

Or you may want to hire a driver and head up to the nearby town of Todos Santos which is about an hour away. It is a cute little artsy town with lots of small shops and great restuarants. Then you could stop at Cerritos beach which is about 10 minutes from there to check out the gorgeous scenery and the waves at this popular surfer beach. There is a nice little beach bar there where you could sit and have a cocktail.

This is what we would love to do. Do you have any contact info for a driver?

Only Chilano and Santa Maria Bays which are where the snorkling tours go. That is still going to be your best bet. Gear, lunch, open bar for $30-$40 depending on which company you book with.

my family & I will be there during easter week. (me, DW,DD1(8),DD2(2),DD3(7 months),mom & dad (mid 60's). which one would you pick & why?

thanks for all replies.

my family & I will be there during easter week. (me, DW,DD1(8),DD2(2),DD3(7 months),mom & dad (mid 60's). which one would you pick & why?

thanks for all replies.

They are right next to each other, about 15 miles out of town. Chilano has restrooms and Santa Maria does not. Otherwise they are pretty close to the same. We prefer Santa Maria as it is usually less crowded.

We will be there then too! Leaving this Wednesday and staying until the end of the month.

We snorkeled at Pelican Beach which is right next to Lovers Beach near the Arch. The water was very warm but that was in November. Househunter is correct, you need to be very careful about other boats there. Snorkeling was actually not too bad at all.

imgp0814b.jpg

Archived