Using Cash or Trav. Checks for Onboard Acct

Delizk

I have a question...I am trying to find out how much of a deposit NCL requires if you use cash or travelers checks for your onboard account. I have now gotten 3 different answers when I call NCL (one told me it was $500 total, one told me $250 total, and the guy I spoke with this morning told me it is $250 per room per day!). I know, it would be easier to use a credit card, but my husband and I don't have any (and don't want any). We have debit cards, but are not too fond of the possibility of the pre-authorization staying on our account for up to 30 days.

Any suggestions or does anyone know what the actual deposit required is?

Thanks!

I have a question...I am trying to find out how much of a deposit NCL requires if you use cash or travelers checks for your onboard account. I have now gotten 3 different answers when I call NCL (one told me it was $500 total, one told me $250 total, and the guy I spoke with this morning told me it is $250 per room per day!). I know, it would be easier to use a credit card, but my husband and I don't have any (and don't want any). We have debit cards, but are not too fond of the possibility of the pre-authorization staying on our account for up to 30 days.

Any suggestions or does anyone know what the actual deposit required is?

Thanks!

It is $100 per day, per room. I called and checked (and asked the rep. to ask her mgr)...plus DH and I came across our old POA cruising receipts and docs and saw that they held $700 on our MasterCard last cruise.

I know the reception desk will work with you, (i.e., if you know you won't be drinking or charging much to your room....they will hold less cash. Once you have met your cash desposit amount---they will put a hold on any charges you try to make). $250 per day is absurd! Sometimes I think those NCL reps make stuff up...blah. I always ask them to ask someone else for a second opinion. :D

Have a nice cruise! ;)

When we cruised on the Sea, we started our onboard account with just $100.00 cash. Have the rules changed since then? I hope not, since we rarely spend more than that on the ship. (Not including tips, of course...)

I was also told 100.00 per cabin per day when I called NCL first of the week.....So for my 7 day cruise, I would have to deposit 700.00 at check in. What I didn't ask (and should have) was whether that meant 700.00 in addition to the 210.00 automatic tipfor three persons (ie 910.00) or 700.00 total.

For the moment I'm assuming the 700.00 will would be reduced to an accessible amount of 490.00 after the deduction of the "service fee" of 210.00.

Confusing?

Hi,

Last year I was on the Norwegian Sun to Alaska. I also used cash to settle my shipboard account. The second day at sea, they had contacted me to say I needed to deposit some money to my account. I then gave them $20. Then a few days later they again requested more money. Because they add the "tips" daily, my account always showed "in arrears". The day before the end of the cruise I had wanted to purchase the souvenir video of that sailing. When they had tried to put it through, they said that I couldn't because I had not put enough on my account. They never mentioned how much to add at the beginning. I don't like to use credit cards, because once you show it to them and then decide to pay cash at the end, I am afraid that the credit card will be charged in error and also they have the cash.

Archived