Attire

Medic 5

We're sailing as a group of 11 on the Infinity in July. We plan to make the most of the opportunity to dress up and it will be tuxes for the guys and 'posh frocks' for the girls. I agree that it's nice to dress up on a cruise and one of the few times that we get to do so these days - I wouldn't want to lose that.

For those who prefer to stay casual - that's fine and I respect your choice - but I just hope we never get to the position where Celebrity or other cruiselines remove the formal nights because too few cruisers bother to dress up for them. On NCL it's optional - and on our one NCL cruise no-one bothered. That's just one reason we won't be sailing NCL again!

I took the grandkids on an NCL cruise out of Philly a few years ago;

I agree the dress was different, but there are too many differences between the two cruise lines than a dress code that make me choose Celebrity.

I enjoy formal night, I enjoy dressing in my tuxedo and I love seeing my wife get dolled up. However, those who enjoy it should enjoy it, those who don't shouldn't have to just because other people want to dress.

You may think I'm strange but I why should I care what another passenger does. Yes, I agree a swimsuit in the Main Dining is wrong but the chances of that happening are so very slim!

I'll know I will get chastised for saying this but here it goes. Formal night as it stands today is just a shadow of what it was just a few years ago, let alone when I started cruising! I think I read another cruiser say in another Formal Dress thread that there wasn't much else different from a smart casual night to a formal night except the dress. I tend to agree, but we make the most out of what is left. My wife and I enjoy ourselves too much on a cruise to worry about a gentleman who doesn't wear a jacket or a teenage boy wearing jeans. Aren't we on vacation from our every day lives? Does what someone else wear matter that much?

We are sailing ion the Summit in a few weeks for just a 7 day cruise. We have been on many cruises but this is the first for X. I am just wondering since we are traveling with our 2 girls is there only 2 formal nights and should I have a jacket each night?

My wife was also starting to put outfits together and due to limited baggage on flights we are just trying to pack as smart as possible. Because I KNOW I alway's over pack...

Thanks!

Rich

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO Medic 5: First, have a good time on your Celebrity cruise. You could get away with a jacket and tie. Last year my wife and I went on a Cunard cruise for the first time. I noticed many folks wearing a jacket and tie even on formal nights. This one guy even wore the same jacket every night. Also, there are restrictions on what you can take on a plane as far as weight of luggage.

We don't bother with formal night in the MDR any more. We had enough of it during our working lives such that dressing up on a cruise vacation lost it's lustre some time ago. And we prefer to travel as light as we can-with carry on if possible.

I hope that they continue formal nights. Many people enjoy it and Celebrity provides options for people like us who usually give it a miss.

Archived