snorkeling

calico79

So my fiance and I will be stopping in Grand Turk during our honeymoon cruise. He would like to go snorkeling and I am not sure this is something that I will be good at as I don't feel like I am a very good swimmer. Are there any excursions where he could snorkel and I can just go along for the ride or one for two beginners at snorkeling?

The "Ultimate Snorkel" excursion would be good for you. It has 2 great stops, and if you look at their write up you will notice that their minimum age is 5. That tells you it is an easy one. We took it last year and the crew specifically asked about weak and non-swimmers. There were 2 non-swimmers, but they both put on a vest, mask, snorkel and fins and went in. They seemed like they enjoyed it. My wife, who is not a snorkeler either, enjoyed it enough that she agreed to do it again this year. "The Wall" is worth seeing, even if it is from the surface, though your other half can dive down if he wants. The first stop is at a reef in 8'-10'. The 2nd stop is at "The Wall", which is about 25' on the shallow side, move over a few feet, and it is 7000' on the deep side, just like that. Both stops have a lot of fish. Pick up a small container of fish food pellets at Walmart or Target, to take with you, and you will have more finned friends than you can imagine.

I would recommend Grand Turk Diving. We had several people on our boat who were beginners. You can try it out if you want or just enjoy some time on the beach at Gibbs Cay. It's really beautiful. The snorkeling along the reefs wasn't terribly deep or rough, 30 feet maybe. They had life vests of course, so you could try that. We went with children and they were very helpful.

Archived