Sitka - pier being built?

Krazy Kruizers

a couple of articles that were posted:

Alaska Beat

Sitka getting large-ship dock

Alaska Beat | Sep 21, 2010

After years of waiting and a few stalled efforts, Sitka is finally going to get a dock that can accommodate large cruise ships, CoastAlaska (via APRN) reports. Halibut Point Marine Services will build the dock near the town's ferry terminal, and has declined to disclose the project's cost. Although the dock will mean that cruise passengers can be disgorged directly onto the shore, instead of taking short trips on lightering vessels, there are no agreements yet with cruise lines to use it. Listen to much, much more, here.

Alaska Plans Pier Projects

Alaska Plans Pier Projects

March 2, 2011 By M.T Schwartzman

After years of public debate in Sitka concerning a city-owned dock for large cruise ships, a private company has made the surprise decision to build its own cruise-ship pier. The new dock will be about 1,000 feet in length — long enough to accommodate the largest ships sailing in Alaska (which currently belong to Princess Cruises, the only operator of post-Panamax tonnage on “The Last Frontier”) — and will include an access ramp for tour vehicles.

As the original capital of Alaska, Sitka is known for its Russian colonial heritage, including the onion-domed landmark St. Michael’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, as well as its colorful Native American cultural traditions, like towering totem poles (pictures left). It is the longtime home of the New Archangel Dancers and the site of Alaska’s oldest national park. Cruise lines that call in Sitka include Celebrity Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Holland America Line, Oceania Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruises and Silversea Cruises.

Meanwhile, Alaska’s capital city and most popular port, Juneau, has more than US$60 million in port improvements on tap from the 2011 through 2014 cruise seasons. Projects include a new visitor center and the replacement of two city-owned cruise ship piers. In Ketchikan, known by its nickname “Alaska’s First City,” officials say they’ve received funding for refurbishments to berths 1 and 2 downtown that could eventually amount to US$26 million; work is scheduled to begin in the fall and run through spring 2015. The city previously had spent nearly US$40 million on pier expansion projects to berth 3 (opened June 2007) and berth 4 (opened May 2008).

If you’ve cruised Alaska before, what did you think of the state’s port facilities?

I'll be interested to see what happens with this. Will tourists really want to take a bus back and forth from the dock to the town? Will the locals allow constant shuttle traffic on their own road?

Meanwhile, Alaska’s capital city and most popular port, Juneau, has more than US$60 million in port improvements on tap from the 2011 through 2014 cruise seasons. Projects include a new visitor center and the replacement of two city-owned cruise ship piers.

Too bad two of our docks used by locals for their fishing and pleasure boats are literally falling apart for lack of funds. And the Ports Director has decided to resign and sail around the world for two years. :rolleyes:

Oh I hope not. That is TERRIBLE news. I hope it is somehow stopped. Or (in my own selfish interests :) ) deferred until after I get back to Sitka, to see the beautiful, real, heart-touching Alaska-ness it still has.

Let's start a campaign to encourage the residents of Sitka to build a moat around their lovely town and NOT let tour buses cross it. Or build an enormous wall around the town. Or charge an outrageous fee for a "tour" that doesn't really go to Sitka.

I wonder how the residents of Sitka feel about the potential for economic stimulation vs the arrival of hordes of people on a regular basis?

I'll be interested to see what happens with this. Will tourists really want to take a bus back and forth from the dock to the town? Will the locals allow constant shuttle traffic on their own road?

Sure -- it happens many other places cruise ships dock. People ride tour buses for MILES to get wherever their shorex is taking them. Or to shuttle to the nearest town or beach. Of course, if there's a charge for the shuttle bus, plenty will kvetch about it.

Too bad two of our docks used by locals for their fishing and pleasure boats are literally falling apart for lack of funds. And the Ports Director has decided to resign and sail around the world for two years. :rolleyes:

WOW -- so juneau docks are falling apart?

we haven't been back there since 2009

Archived