Chair Hogs

cbMcruiser

I am a watcher - I will go mid morning to the Lido - I sit at a table - have breakfast - cup of coffee and the dreaded smoke or two and read for a while and chill (I am in no rush). I will watch a certain area because I am there anyway and if no one is there for a length of time I will haul my sorry ass over and deposit it. If someone comes to claim their seat (after an hour or so) I just tell them that the staff removed their items and talk to them - after all the staff should be doing this and they can explain the rules to them. But honestly, other than occasionally, I prefer to be on the Serenity Deck or 11th deck in the shade reading anyway. I think it would be an easy fix - when people go to reserve a chair they should have to go to the towel hut and get a coloured card that they put on the chair - pink expires at 8:30 - red expired at 9:00 - blue expires at 9:30 etc. Too easy to be used though.

I think families with young children should have priority - as long as they don't abuse it. I personally can use the exercise to walk down if I need food etc

The problem with the "just go find a chair elsewhere" chant is that many times you guys have been the same people who gripe about kids not being watched while in the pool. Since I'm NOT that parent, I very much intend to watch my kids while in the pool...and not from an upper deck while sipping a cold one.

When I'm with my kids, I'm going to have a seat by the pool one way or another. If that means someone's crap left on the seat to "reserve" it ends up on the floor, then too bad. ...

However, I will, and DO, move the junk people leave to save the lounger for when they decide to stroll up and use it. Never had a single person say a word to me! Oh yeah...they ask about their junk and I just reply "There was no one here when we got here. Ask the pool attendent...maybe he/she can help you". ....

I think this highlights why this chair hogging is a problem. Some people are willing to lie because the ends justify the means. Others are much less comfortable (particularly, I think, those with children who are cognizant of the example it may set). I'm not saying that it is right or wrong to lie about (i.e., you move someone else's belongings and then lie about it when they come back). But if you have someone who is honest, but does not want his/her day ruined by a confrontation about who "owned" the chair, how long he/she was gone, etc., you end up with the vast majority of passengers finding somewhere else to be and perhaps stewing about it.

Now I suppose, very technically, that if you were to use the exact language in the post above, you could argue that you're not actually lying because you didn't say that the chair was empty when you arrived and you didn't exactly say that you didn't move any of their stuff. But I think that's a pretty thin argument.

... I think it would be an easy fix - when people go to reserve a chair they should have to go to the towel hut and get a coloured card that they put on the chair - pink expires at 8:30 - red expired at 9:00 - blue expires at 9:30 etc. Too easy to be used though.

I think families with young children should have priority - as long as they don't abuse it. I personally can use the exercise to walk down if I need food etc

Not sure I understand the card system. Do you have to get a new card every time you get up and leave your chair, or is this only for use first thing in the morning (i.e., if you get there before 8:00, you can put a pink card on a chair, which means you can "reserve" that chair, but only until 8:30, at which point it is fair game).

I've heard many complaints that certain decks, pools and tubs should be adults-only. I tend to agree that there should be family-priority chairs near the pool. This wouldn't benefit me any more, personally, but it seems like a good idea and would encourage better supervision of children.

I think it would be easy. Just have card stamp areas all over the deck. When you get up, you tag the car with a card with the time and date. This seems to work well with parking meters.

I agree with Kristi Williamson. Somebody earlier said there is no reason people need to sit around the pool. I think parents with kids in the pool most definately do. Until Carnival assumes responsibility for providing lifeguards, I believe it is up to the parents to supervise their kids in the pool. That is very difficult to do from the funnel deck.

Given the non-existent chance that Carnival (or anyone else) is going to start enforcing their hog policies, my guess that if we keep complaining they will simply move to a pay-to-reserve policy, or like the steakhouse a pay-for private pool with reserved chairs for those who can pay with a lesser pool for everyone else.

Not sure I understand the card system. Do you have to get a new card every time you get up and leave your chair, or is this only for use first thing in the morning (i.e., if you get there before 8:00, you can put a pink card on a chair, which means you can "reserve" that chair, but only until 8:30, at which point it is fair game).

I've heard many complaints that certain decks, pools and tubs should be adults-only. I tend to agree that there should be family-priority chairs near the pool. This wouldn't benefit me any more, personally, but it seems like a good idea and would encourage better supervision of children.

You nailed it - only first thing in the morning you get the cards - if you go into the pool or Lido to get a plate of food you obviously leave a lot more stuff than just one shoe or a towel, maybe even a partner or buddy can watch it or the person beside you, I certainly wouldn't mind. Also, parents with young kids need to be close at hand to watch them and there should be a section for them, just like the adults only area - like you stated.

I read this thread because I do have a four year old who is never going to want to leave the pool. Now while he is competent in the water with a life jacket on, I don't at all feel comfortable sitting more than a few feet away from him while he is in the pool or even near it. I had pretty much assumed we would have to be at the pool very early to get seating now I wonder if that will be necessary. Are there lots of people willing to move stuff or would we easily find unoccupied seats sometime AFTER breakfast?

I think how they did it on the Titanic (as well as on other ships of the same time period) worked well. :D When you boarded the ship, you went to see the Deck Attendent and chose what deck chair you wanted. The Deck Attendent would put a little sign with your name on it on the chair and that was your chair for the whole voyage. Perfect!! :D On Carnival, they could add to it by saying that you can move your chair wherever you want during the day, every day. That way, you wouldn't be stuck with a crappy chair location if you boarded later/last and/or didn't get to the Pool/Deck Attendent in time. It might work!! Here are a couple of pics of chairs that were onboard the Titanic. You can't see the sign holder anymore but it would have been in the top right hand corner in 1912.

DSC04998.jpg.0444c188d890c20d9f98aa081c9262e3.jpg

DSC05000.jpg.97b6185aef574f40f095a001bc98dc99.jpg

DSC05001.jpg.c05bff128dd4c05d3d78907428d1ed96.jpg

Archived