How does assigned dining time work?

tostadas

I see that that there are 2 dining times + a 'your time' option. I'd like to do an assigned time for a chance to get to know other people.

I also saw that there are many other dining options besides the MDR such as specialty restaurants and buffet. My question then is, if I elect for example the 6:00pm dining option, will I still be able to go try the other restaurants or buffet instead for 1 night? And if I am able to eat at the buffet for a particular night, is there anything special I need to let them know so I dont lose my seating for the following night?

When you sign up for assigned seating, your seat will remain available for the entire cruise. If you decide just to eat at the buffet, (LIDO) or choose to dine at a specialty restaurant, it does not change the assined seating you have. This is really about options. I enjoy sitting at the same table all week to meet new people and so that the staff gets to know me. I enjoy learning about the staff as well. If you know that you will be opting to dine elsewhere ahead of time, let the staff know as a courtesy.

Iv had dinner held up for up to 30 minutes because my dining mates didnt get the whole concept, and were either late, or didnt come and didnt tell anyone, so the waiter wouldnt take my order.

I would let someone know so you dont inconveince others who eat at your table.

I see that that there are 2 dining times + a 'your time' option. I'd like to do an assigned time for a chance to get to know other people.

I also saw that there are many other dining options besides the MDR such as specialty restaurants and buffet. My question then is, if I elect for example the 6:00pm dining option, will I still be able to go try the other restaurants or buffet instead for 1 night? And if I am able to eat at the buffet for a particular night, is there anything special I need to let them know so I dont lose my seating for the following night?

I agree with assigned time dining for the reason you mentioned... you get to know other folks. I've met a ton of wonderful people at the dinner table on ships.

If you elect to use assigned dining you're free to eat in the Main Dining Room at your assigned table every night or one night. You won't loose your seat at your table. It'll be there for you the next time you come back.

There's a fair chance that once you have dinner in the Main Dining Room you won't want to eat anywhere else! The food is very good and the service is fantastic!

You'll love the steakhouse... fantastic deal... and the food on the buffet is very good as well!!

:)

On your first night in the MDR let your waiter and fellow diners at your table know, that if you don't show up at least 5-10 minutes after the start of your assigned dining any night during the cruise, to please start without you as you are most likely dining at the Lido that night. I say this because on one of our previous cruises, we had diners at our table that showed up whenever they wanted to or not at all, and we were always right on time, but the waiters would try to wait until everyone showed up to start service.

Is there a way to request a table size? We also like to get to know our fellow diners. I would rather be seated at a larger table instead at a 2 or 4 top. Thanks!

If you book directly through Carnival, there is a section that asks if you prefer a larger or smaller table.

But once onboard the ship, you can go scope out what you table looks like and if you don't like it, you can usually talk to the Maitre-D on embark day and he can sometimes change your assignment.

If you book directly through Carnival, there is a section that asks if you prefer a larger or smaller table.

But once onboard the ship, you can go scope out what you table looks like and if you don't like it, you can usually talk to the Maitre-D on embark day and he can sometimes change your assignment.

I always book through Carnival, and I have never seen this asked...am I just missing it??

I think they used to ask about table size - but now they don't? I usually book thru my PVP and tell her to make note of my request for a 'large' table - and yes I do try and check it out beforehand and will ask for a change if I an not happy with it!

And I would definitely book a night at the steakhouse - well worth the $30 surcharge. I prefer to eat in the MDR or specialty restaurant however I suppose if you are not in the 'mood' you might opt for dinner at the buffet? Don't forget there is also the pizza place and 24 hr room service!

I think they used to ask about table size - but now they don't? I usually book thru my PVP and tell her to make note of my request for a 'large' table - and yes I do try and check it out beforehand and will ask for a change if I an not happy with it!

And I would definitely book a night at the steakhouse - well worth the $30 surcharge. I prefer to eat in the MDR or specialty restaurant however I suppose if you are not in the 'mood' you might opt for dinner at the buffet? Don't forget there is also the pizza place and 24 hr room service!

I do wish there was a way to note preference. We will just see what we get and take it from there!

We will be on Triumph so no steakhouse. However we do already have reservations for the Chef's Table which we are really looking forward to!

Archived