J Pepin Cruise - May 12, 2012

skandls

We just signed up for this cruise. What extras will there be on this cruise? has anyone been on one of these 'food' cruises?

Yes, we sailed with Jacque Pepin on the Regatta in 2008 and are sailing again with him on Marina in August 2011. The food seminars are great and he is so personable; we met him many times around the ship and had delightful conversations. His seminars were among the highlights of our great cruise.:)

I was on a cruise with him in 08. I went to the first demo and then stayed as far as I could from the others. I am an avid cook at home and have several of his books and he is indeed a delightful man.

I just couldn't deal with the childish behavior of the passengers. Some were camped out in the lounge HOURS ahead of time and there was generally chair hogging and yes, pushing and shoving to get the "best" seats. Come on, the room isn't THAT big.....On the other hand, it's a great time to get a seat by the pool because the chairs hogs are off somewhere else.

My husband went to subsequent demos and I think the most enjoyment he got was reporting on the behavior of the attendees. I find it ironic that individuals who refer to themselves as "well-travelled" and speak out the loudest against children on board are by far the most agressive when it comes to getting seats in the lounge or cabs after disembarking in Miami. Oh, and lets not forget the high tea in the lounge. You'd think those poor folks had never seen a sweet in years....

Ironically the cruise we were on with Jacques also had the worst food by far-nothing really wrong with it but it certainly wasn't at the level we had previously experienced and told our friends to expect.

Mo

I was on a cruise with him in 08. I went to the first demo and then stayed as far as I could from the others. I am an avid cook at home and have several of his books and he is indeed a delightful man.

I just couldn't deal with the childish behavior of the passengers. Some were camped out in the lounge HOURS ahead of time and there was generally chair hogging and yes, pushing and shoving to get the "best" seats. Come on, the room isn't THAT big.....On the other hand, it's a great time to get a seat by the pool because the chairs hogs are off somewhere else.

My husband went to subsequent demos and I think the most enjoyment he got was reporting on the behavior of the attendees. I find it ironic that individuals who refer to themselves as "well-travelled" and speak out the loudest against children on board are by far the most agressive when it comes to getting seats in the lounge or cabs after disembarking in Miami. Oh, and lets not forget the high tea in the lounge. You'd think those poor folks had never seen a sweet in years....

Ironically the cruise we were on with Jacques also had the worst food by far-nothing really wrong with it but it certainly wasn't at the level we had previously experienced and told our friends to expect.

Mo

Not to drag this off-topic completely, but wow, we could not agree with you more! (re; behavior of guests!) In fact, my husband and I had a code phrase when we were exasperated by such pushing, shoving and rudeness: I would say "Looks like it's tapioca night at the nursing home!" Pretty soon whenever we got caught in a shoving bunch going to the tenders or whatever, we would just look at each other and smile: "Tapioca night!"

Mo

The bad behavior can be seen on any cruise. I hope there won't be too much pushing. Demos and classes can be fun but I don't expect too much with the large number of passengers on the Marina. I have no idea how many passengers can be accomodated in the 'cooking demo' venue.

I was hoping the food would be 'great' with the Pepin on board. We did a cruise last year on the Insignia and the food was good - but nothing special. We did a Celebrity cruise when Roux was still designing the menus. He was on that cruise and the food was better than usual. We saw him at the Captains table on formal nights.

Archived