Panicking... A Little...

wvliz

So I'm not sure where to post this, I guess I'm going to post it here.

I got married in October, and needed to renew my passport with my new last name for our cruise in April. I received my passport back in the mail a few days ago, and just realized today that they did not return my marriage certificate with my passport! :eek:

The ARE supposed to return any documents, right? I am pretty sure that they returned my birth certificate when I applied for the original.

I am pretty sure that when we booked our cruise, the Carnival rep. told me that we need to have our marriage certificate since we are both under a certain age.. it might have been 25? Is this correct?

Has anyone ever had this happen? Did you get your paperwork back? We cruise in 17 days!!

You will get your documents in another envelope... they are not sent together with the passport.

Wow, that makes me feel 1000% better. I don't remember that from before. Hopefully it comes soon!

Thanks!

If you don't get it back in time, I'll go in your place.. Your new husband will need someone to hang with.. :)

Ahh! That would really stink!!

And yeah, I dunno why they require the marriage certificate... don't crazy college kids cruise all the time?? :confused:

I don't understand why you need to show your marriage license though. Makes no sense. If you are old enough to get married, you are old enough to cruise... lol.

I think if they are both under 21 they must prove they are married to get by the one person in the cabin must be 25

I think if they are both under 21 they must prove they are married to get by the one person in the cabin must be 25

But we're both 24... doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me... But easy enough to just bring it, I suppose.

But we're both 24... doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me... But easy enough to just bring it, I suppose.

Still makes no sense to me, but then again, I guess it doesn't have to!! ha ha

Have a wonderful cruise and I look forward to seeing pictures and reading your review when you get back!!!!

And congrats on the marriage!!

Ahh! That would really stink!!

And yeah, I dunno why they require the marriage certificate... don't crazy college kids cruise all the time?? :confused:

Used to be that way.. Hence the rules that are now in place.. That is Carnivals attempt to keep the young punks in line. :) Funny thing is, when I've seen people get outta hand, it's usually older folks..

well the reason most people end up having to bring their marriage certificates is when the (new) last name doesn't match the last (maiden) name on ID such as DL or passport.

you have the new name on the passport, so that's a non-issue. however, i don't believe a passport proves that despite having the same last name, you are married.

there are regulations, in that those under 25 need to meet some criteria, such as the following:

2(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

so that's why they probably told you to bring it. though i've never been in that situation, that seems like the logical reason why, to be in accordance with their terms.

and yes, they do typically mail your original documents separately from the passport. i think i got my birth certificate back a day or two after my passport (which seems wasteful, but it's the gov't, so :rolleyes:).

you'll probably be fine. give it a few days, and otherwise - call the state dept, and if all else fails, whichever agency issued your marriage certificate, for a duplicate copy. :)

grrr CC lagging and wouldn't let me edit..wanted to edit to say that two 21 year olds certainly can travel together, with no documentation other than passports, or the proper doc's. That rule only applies if a spouse is 21 and the other is under 21, THEN you would need the marriage license. You are both 24, you only need your passports. Whoever you spoke with did not understand your question or they do not know the rules. My daughter and her boyfriend booked a cabin and they are not married. Have a wonderful cruise!!!

If it does not come back just go to your town office/City building and get another copy. My paper work came a few days after my passport so it should be arriving but if not you can get a copy on the spot.

So I'm not sure where to post this, I guess I'm going to post it here.

I got married in October, and needed to renew my passport with my new last name for our cruise in April. I received my passport back in the mail a few days ago, and just realized today that they did not return my marriage certificate with my passport! :eek:

The ARE supposed to return any documents, right? I am pretty sure that they returned my birth certificate when I applied for the original.

I am pretty sure that when we booked our cruise, the Carnival rep. told me that we need to have our marriage certificate since we are both under a certain age.. it might have been 25? Is this correct?

Has anyone ever had this happen? Did you get your paperwork back? We cruise in 17 days!!

The last time my wife and I renewed our passport they returned the old passports and extra photos we had included in a seperate mailing.

I hope it works out fo you.

and yes, they do typically mail your original documents separately from the passport. i think i got my birth certificate back a day or two after my passport (which seems wasteful, but it's the gov't, so :rolleyes:).

Falkcor - I think it's to sort of protect us if the document get's lost in the mail or stolen. If both birth certificate and new passport are in the same envelope, there are lots of headaches to get a new birth certificate and a reissue on the passport.

Mom's passport renewal was rocky. Her new passport never arrived. She has a weird bc because the courthouse burned to the ground many moons ago. Had those docs been together, she'd have had to jump through all sorts of hurdles again.

It is sent separately for security purposes. Just like when you get a credit card and a new pin number - it is too easy pickins for the identity thieves to have everything in one envelope. Also the USPS does lose things on occasion.... would suck to lose such important documents especially if they were all in one envelope.

Archived