what FORTS are worth visiting ?

FORT AMSTERDAM, Sint Maarten
This was the first, and most important Dutch Military outpost in the Caribbean. It was constructed on Great Bay Harbor in 1931.

FORT WILLEM, St. Maarten
Another piece of St. Maarten St. Martin history. The Dutch took over this site in 1816 and renamed it from Fort Trigge to Fort Willem. Here there is an incredible panoramic view of neighboring islands. The drive is pretty treacherous, so you might consider walking.

Fort St. Louis / Fort Marigot, St. Martin
Overlooking Marigot Bay on the leeward side of the island sits the imposing figure of Fort St. Louis, the largest historical monument in St.Martin. Named for the famous crusading king of France, it was originally built in 1767 to protect the settlement at Marigot from foreign invaders. The plans were sent over directly from Versailles at the order of the ill-fated French king, Louis XVI.

--------------------------------------------

I am arriving on a cruise ship, caribbean princess 5/22 departure, and I love going to old forts. I am doing the Rhino Boat Ride in the morning and would like to catch a look at 1 or 2 of these 3 forts.

Are any a MUST see ?

Are any skipable ?

Is there a 4th or 5th fort ?

Definitely Fort Louis/Marigot. If you still have time check out Fort Amsterdam.

See the discussion [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=429097554&m=86510251&r=66810751#66810751"]over here[/url].

_____
We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Archived