New (?) HC classes!

PartyAllDaTyme

We just booked a couple of cabins for an Alaska cruise for August 2012. We're treating my wife's parents to their first cruise. DMIL has Parkinson's and currently uses a scooter. We're hoping she won't need a wheelchair by then. I could see that the current deck plans were valid through March 2012, and a new plan would take effect in April 2012. For whatever reason, I could not access it-- blank graphics, red X's, and the list of cabins in each category (suite, veranda, OV, inside) did not show the classes.

I booked what are currently two adjacent 2A cabins, one of which is HC. Lo and behold, I was told that the HC cabin will be classed as AX, and is $40pp less expensive! Because I still cannot get deck plans (either my PC or X's website, don't know which), I still cannot view, but was told that all HC cabins would be similarly classed. I don't know if they'll be designated AX, BX, and so on. I'm assuming they will all be priced lower than what they otherwise would be under the current classification, as well.

Never having booked an HC cabin before, I was not aware this was done, and I assume this is something new. I've also posted this on the Disabled Cruise Travel board.

Hi Everyone !

I heard about this last week, but was unable to write about it. Here's the rundown on the Accessible Categories :

AZ is Accessible Inside Stateroom

AX is Accessible Veranda

AC is Accessible Concierge Class

AA is Accessible Aqua Class

AW is Accessible Sky Suite

I'm pretty sure there is a Code for Accessible Outside Cabin, but I cannot locate it at the moment. I hope this helps !

Since these cabins are now in separate categories, does. That mean people can't "inadvertently" book a large accessible cabin they do not need? If so, way to go Celebrity. I do not need such a cabin, but I want them to be available onlt to people who truely need them for as reasonably possible.

Hi Everyone !

I heard about this last week, but was unable to write about it. Here's the rundown on the Accessible Categories :

AZ is Accessible Inside Stateroom

AX is Accessible Veranda

AC is Accessible Concierge Class

AA is Accessible Aqua Class

AW is Accessible Sky Suite

I'm pretty sure there is a Code for Accessible Outside Cabin, but I cannot locate it at the moment. I hope this helps !

AY would be logical for an outside...X...Y...Z. Or maybe that would be too simple.

If you need a HC cabin call the cruise line immediately and inquire directly. Many times you cannot book them on-line, and sometimes TA's don't understand there importance to those of us in a wheelchair.

If we can't get a HC cabin we can't go.

I just came across this thread. While there may be some advantages for those who need accessible cabins (like us), my initial reaction was "too bad." From January 1 on out, those booking early to ensure that accessible cabins are available will be unable to take advantage of price cuts (before the final payment date) on surrounding cabins. A very mixed blessing, IMO.

Rich

Archived