Grandeur of the seas - opinions? Compared to princess?

My husband and I have found a great deal for a 7 night cruise in May on the Grandeur of the Seas. The itinerary is exactly what we wanted (Rome, Florence, Cannes) but this is the first time we will have cruised on Royal Caribbean.

Those that have been on the Grandeur, is she a ship you would recommend? I know that the Grandeur is an old ship and this doesn't bother us. But I'm keen to know the quality of the food, the condition of the pools and the service generally.

Also if anyone has also cruised on Princess how does the food, pool areas and entertainment compare? We've been on newer princess ships such as the emerald aswell as older ships such as the grand so the age of the ship isn't a worry to us.

We're in our late twenties so looking for a cruise ship that offers great food, nice pool areas to relax and some fun entertainment in the evening.

Many thanks for your help!

Dear friends:

We'll be on Grandeur next Sunday, April 17, so I'll let you know how everything goes.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise Grandeur, especially in Europe. In Europe, you spend so little time on the ship that it really doesn't matter that the ship is older.

Pools and facilities (from what I'm being told -- will let you know firsthand) seem to be in good condition, and the food is basically the same as on all of the ships (fewer choices of venue, though, than on the larger ships).

No concierge lounge either.

If the price is right, go for it -- especially because you are basically only going to use the ship to sleep, since there is so much shore time in Europe.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

The Granduer is our favorite ship. She is a nice size, not too big or small. The crew is amazing. Always happy, always helpful. We would sail her again if she returns to the U.S. If JR is still in the Schooner Bar please tell him that Karen and Phyllis wish they could see him. He is a great bar tender with an amazing memory. We have sailed with him twice with a couple of years in between. He called us by name and inquired about our gardens!

Have a wonderful time.

Dear friends:

We'll be on Grandeur next Sunday, April 17, so I'll let you know how everything goes.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise Grandeur, especially in Europe. In Europe, you spend so little time on the ship that it really doesn't matter that the ship is older.

Pools and facilities (from what I'm being told -- will let you know firsthand) seem to be in good condition, and the food is basically the same as on all of the ships (fewer choices of venue, though, than on the larger ships).

No concierge lounge either.

If the price is right, go for it -- especially because you are basically only going to use the ship to sleep, since there is so much shore time in Europe.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I'll be in a Grandeur GS the week after you guys' for a 14 day Trans Atlantic/Repo......hope you write a review, and I'm able to read it before I embark. Have a GREAT cruise!!

Grandeur is one of my favorites. I haven't sailed her since she left Baltimore. My DW & I loved the Solarium Pool, it's got a removable roof. Both times we sailed her, the service was impeccable. The crew was happy & it showed. The food was very good to excellent in the MDR. Windjammer wasn't bad, either.

We sailed on Caribbean Princess a few years ago. MUTS was very nice & they served popcorn in the evening while they played the feature movie, they also had blankets available if it was cool. The entertainment was about the same as RCCL. On this cruise we had Anytime dining & 4 nights we had probably the best service we ever had, 1 night we had acceptable service & 2 nights the absolutely worst service we ever had, anywhere on or off cruise ships. We also ended up with this same waiter for breakfast the last day. It kinda soured us on Princess, even though we know good service can be had.

Hope you have a great cruise, no matter what ship you go on.

We have been on the Grandeur twice and loved it more the second time! Small enough to feel a little like family but still roomy enough to have our own space.

Loved the Solarium and also loved all the daily programs such as Karaoke and

Quest. You will love it. It is a great ship!

Archived