Which do you prefer and why? Grand Turk , HMC , Freeport?

TRAVELDUS

I wish more cruises would skip Nassau and go to either HMC or Grand Turk

That sounds like a great idea to me, too.

I'd have to say that HMC is my favorite for a number of reasons. The beach is lovely, you can walk down the beach away from the crowded area right near the tender pier. The crew does a great lunch on the island and you don't have to contend with people try to get you to take their excursion/taxi/buy their tshirt or braid your hair.

Grand Turk - our cruise to Grand Turk was before most of the pier area construction was completed. We loved the fact that it wasn't commercialized ( like Nassau).

Another HMC lover here! HMC is one of our favorites. Grand Turk is great too. We went after the hurricane hit back in 2008, so we toured the island and saw tons of damage. Very sad to see how the residents were having to live after the hurricane. We went back to the port and spent the rest of the day in the BIGGEST pool I've ever seen right there at Margaritaville......hubby definitely took advantage of the swim-up bar.

Haven't been to Freeport, but have been to Nassau....no desire to go to Freeport or ever go back to Nassau. If we're on a cruise that stops by either of these ports, we'll definitely stay on the ship.

Freeport is just so so...if the ship goes there I would get off and do something. Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are our personal favorites. We just got off a Back to Back on the Carnival Destiny and had calls at Grand Turk and HMC...LOVED THEM BOTH! We had been to HMC once before...it is a beautiful port.

If you go to Jack's Shack, do you just show up there or do you make reservations ahead of time? Also, I noticed someone said they walked there, how long of a walk is it?

We just walked down the beach to Jack's Shack. We went through Margaritaville and then went to the right ( as you are looking at the ship in front of you). We thought the sand was a little tough to walk in but soon discovered that the wet sand at the bottom near the water was much easier to walk in. You will come to one area that is a food/ drinks place ...that is NOT Jack's shack...keep walking a little further and you will see Jack's. Definately do get some Jerk chicken from Jack's shack...and the drinks:eek: OMG...really strong! Music is playing and it is great! You don't need reservations...just walk up:D We arrived at 0830 and the gift shop was open but the bar was not til about 9 or so. Janet ( Jack's wife) served some yummy drinks. Topher is their Golden doodle that is soo sweet.

Bambarra Rum - I liked it so much I bought a bottle at the duty-free shop. Maybe two bottles come back with us next time!

Thanx Kathy thats the name of that liquid gold :D from Grand Turk I got the "cave rum" from duty free thats pretty good too but not the same as "Bambarra"

Dimitry

Archived