Alaska Cruisetour - how much did the price drop?

Wonders10

Hi everyone,

First of all, yes I know that nothing is guaranteed and things change from year to year, month to month, but just looking for people's opinions. :D

I'm booked (with my family) in 2 mini-suites in June 2012 (leaving for the Denali Explorer land portion June 15 with cruise after). We are only Gold members so have already received that deduction in the price, but a Princess customer service rep encouraged me to check often as the price will drop (I expected as much as well), but by how much did your cruisetour drop compared to when you booked, assuming you booked it far in advance as we did.

Thanks in advance!

2009? 0. It went up $400 from when we booked until after final payment (there was a cheaper flash promotion after that)

Wow, really? When did you book?

I've yet to be on a cruise where the price did not drop at all after I booked.

Does Princess allow you to get the discounted price after final payment? I know Celebrity did (at least in 2010) when we sailed on Solstice. Ended up with $400 OBC!

Supply vs demand dictates whether the prices drop on any given cruise. With the limited amount of ships now in Alaska, I don't think I would be looking for any huge price drops in the next year, although it never hurts to check. Yes, there are times when prices do go higher the closer to sailing, it all depends on how well the ship is selling.

Keep in mind also that many times it is only certain categories that drop in price (that old supply vs demand thing again).

As for a refund after final payment, it can happen, but normally the price drops are in the form of flash promotions after final payment date which are for new bookings only. If this should happen, then those already booked do not usually get any type of refund, even in the form of shipboard credit on Princess.

About a year out. The flash promos were for new bookings onluy so no discount. We were at the tail end of the season, so low prices already, as well as few ships still in AK at that time. Mix in a popular cabin class and it didn't surprise me.

Does Princess allow you to get the discounted price after final payment? I know Celebrity did (at least in 2010) when we sailed on Solstice. Ended up with $400 OBC!

I book and have already done my final payment for my Alaskan cruise in Aug. The price went down $195 per person. Big difference. I booked directly with Princess just incase this happened. I called them up and they were very nice and refunded right away. My brother and sister in law who is still paying called and they took care of him as well. I am a seasoned traveler and if you don't book directly in these situations you maybe out of luck. We are also doing Denali on our own. Only costing us $1500 for 5 nights for 5 people. If you are adventurous cheapest and more interesting way to go.

I book and have already done my final payment for my Alaskan cruise in Aug. The price went down $195 per person. Big difference. I booked directly with Princess just incase this happened. I called them up and they were very nice and refunded right away. My brother and sister in law who is still paying called and they took care of him as well. I am a seasoned traveler and if you don't book directly in these situations you maybe out of luck. We are also doing Denali on our own. Only costing us $1500 for 5 nights for 5 people. If you are adventurous cheapest and more interesting way to go.

Actually, you don't have to book directly with Princess to get a price drop. A TA will get the price drop for you as well... As well as quite a few other amenities, depending on the promotions. Besides, booking with a TA vs. Princess has always saved me quite a bit of money, and you get all the perks!

It depends on the TA. Some also charge change fees. That said, its important to note that this was after final payment. Refunds/credits after final payment depend on the type of discount more so than how you booked. A straight price drop (less common) can still be gotten. A flash promo for new bookings only not so much.

Actually, you don't have to book directly with Princess to get a price drop. A TA will get the price drop for you as well... As well as quite a few other amenities, depending on the promotions. Besides, booking with a TA vs. Princess has always saved me quite a bit of money, and you get all the perks!

Keep in mind that the cruisetour pricing structure differs than the cruise alone. Even though there is a price drop for the cruise, it does not necessarily mean there is a price drop (comparable or otherwise) for the cruisetour. Just keep checking, you never know. :)

We are booked for a April 30 cruise on Sapphire Princess to Mexico and final payment has been made for some time now. Not quite 2 weeks ago I noticed the prices on the Princess website dropped for past guests (which we are) but minimum $100. On checking the price for our category of cabin, the price was $155 lower than we paid so I contacted our TA and she contacted Princess and they did refund $146 for each of us ($292 total) to my credit card 8 days later. We did not book our original fare on a Flash promotion and I believe that is why Princess did honor the price reduction.

We went on the Caribbean Princess last September to Canada/New England and the price for our balcony cabins also dropped by $150 per person prior to final payment and again, a call to the TA and Princess did drop the price for us and our final payment was at the lower price.

Alaska is a wonderful cruise destination. We have done it twice in 5 years.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I have been checking periodically but nothing yet. I forget, especially with it being so far away.

I do understand that its not guaranteed, and we didn't book with any promo other than a past cruiser discount, so hopefully we will be eligible. The rep I spoke with on the phone encouraged me to check often as well as she can almost guarantee our price will drop. There are 6 of us (2 cabins) so we will take any savings we can get!

Archived