Food Too "Fancy"

ikajus

Does anyone find the food on cruise ships to be too fancy? Maybe not in quality, but in the ingredients used? For example, have any of you seen the menu and said, "What is THAT?" or found that nothing on the main dining room menu interests you?

I'm a meat and potatoes girl... Many times I look at the menu and things look too fancy, so I just request them to leave off the sauces and fancy stuff. I've never had a problem with finding food to eat. There is always chicken and baked potatoes on every dinner menu. Another option would be to ask for a children's menu, they have many basic items on that... including a steak.

I have also tried many dishes that didn't seem interesting to me, since they are free, and have found some new foods I now remember and order. If I were ordering in a restaurant I would never take a chance on a new dish and waste my money.....

It's not fancy, it's just cruise food. You can find the same things on land menus if you go to those upscale fancy resturants and pay the price. Many items listed are expensive in land resturants. Many are harder to find. A lot is in the sauce and the way it is presented so it looks fancy but underneath the fancy sauce and the decorative way they put it on the plate it's just food fixed another way you are not use to. Many cruise to eat these fancy foods like escargo, oysters rockefeller, caviar, duck, lamb, calamari, or beef wellington because they don't normally go out and eat like this at home. But like the previous poster said if you don't like it by all means don't order it since there is always plainer food to order like chicken, baked potato, steak, spaggetti or macaroni and cheese. And you can always ask for "Ranch" dressing for those fancy salads. Once you cover it in that it will taste like you are use to. And don't be afraid to ask for that A1 or Heinz 57 to drown your steak in either.

While my son and I are adventurous when it comes to food, my husband and daughter are a bit pickier about their food. My husband would like to know from those who have recently cruised on the Dream if peanut butter is available. On one of our cruises, he was delighted to find the personal serving cups of peanut butter at the Buffet. He has already started packing for our cruise next Sunday. Should he BYOPB?

I have also tried many dishes that didn't seem interesting to me, since they are free, and have found some new foods I now remember and order.

Same here-And I love it when that happens. I would've never ordered any chilled fruit soups anywhere else. Now I look for them on menus.

-Monte

Archived