CCL and La Romana, Dominican Republic Good or Bad?

LKYGSR

I've done a fair amount of searching for information about this port, and so far I'm not thrilled with the info I find. Seems most have nothing good to say, or at best indicate a mediocre experience.

Was it a good or bad idea for Carnival to add this port?

What have your experiences been in this port?

Even CC Port Boards have limited info (one thread).

Would like to know what others think, I may change up my reservation for next year to avoid this port:confused:

Thanks!

While on this itinerary we went to Dreams Resort in the DR and loved it. I'd happily go back there any day. I think alot of the people that weren't happy with this port were expecting a more typical cruise port. There was little to do in the very confined port area. If you ventured out on your own you could haggle with the drivers for a tour for the day etc. Most people that loved it had a plan in place when they got there and knew what they were going to do. I'd either book directly with the ship, plan an AI like Dreams or negotiate with a driver to take you to various places of intrest. The cab rates were really high if you did not negotiate which is another turn off for many people.

I know how you feel OP - we were just at this port with a CC group cruise. Our group spent nearly a year waiting for information to surface on La Romana. We ended up splitting between day passes at the Dreams resort, various excursions, and just staying on the ship.

I agree that there's nothing within walking distance of the port except one very poorly stocked and overpriced duty-free shack. Yes, this is a port that requires an excursion to make it worthwhile. In the end, we stayed on the ship and enjoyed a quiet day at the pool.

IMHO, Carnival has been making this stop for 4 months now, and there just isn't a lot of enthusiasm for it here on the boards. Personally, I don't think I'd consider going back until/unless more people have some positive experiences.

Dave

because this was a new port, our family opted for the AI 'Bayahibe Beach break' thru Carnival. It was probably the most disappointed I've ever been in an 'all inclusive' resort. No food was included, but all you care to drink...IF you could get a drink...and when you DID manage to get a drink, whether you asked for liquor or not, it didn't seem to make a difference. Others booked the Dream AI privately and had a wonderful time.

The area is currently under massive amounts of rebuilding, and you really have to drive to go anywhere..If I were to do the Aruba/Curacao/LaRomana itinerary again, I'd opt for staying on board rather than spend what we did to 'enjoy' the day.

here is a copy/paste from what I wrote about Bayihibe when we returned.. this is the letter I sent to Carnival:

On 10/20/2010, we took part in Carnival's 'Bayihibe Beach Break' in La Romana, DR. We paid approximately $64 per person ( x 4) for an 'all inclusive' excursion. While the resort was beautiful, we feel that the resort could have done a much better job in servicing guests. At one point in the day, we were approached by a merchant who offered us a bottle of rum to purchase for $50. We were able to barter down to $25, but upon returning home, we found this rum to be available for less than $20. I understand 'caveat emptor' but this was a bit disconcerting that a resort such as this would be out to 'pull one over' on Carnival guests, or ANY guest for that matter. There was only a single bartender on duty, and he really seemed indifferent to any guests that were at the bar area. He would serve only ONE drink at a time, even if asking for a non alcoholic drink. ( My children were not going to order drinks for themselves, naturally)

In regards to 'all inclusive'....when in the Carribbean, most folks want to kick back and enjoy themselves, and for $65, most would expect a fair amount of alcohol to be put in each drink they order. This was NEVER the case in any of the 3 drinks we had thruout the day. The fact that I was charged that price for a NON DRINKING minor (x2) was a disgrace. It was joked that the price I paid for the kids would make up for the alcohol that my husband and I would drink..it was amusing at the time, but given that they were putting less than a finger's width of alcohol in an iced 10 oz glass, it would have been difficult to even come close in the course of a 3 1/2 hour stay. I really got the feeling that the resort couldn't have cared less that they were hosting cruise ship guests for several hours, and I will be hard pressed to book an excursion like that in the future..

Many people booked outside of Carnival at the DREAMS resort...perhaps Carnival may want to look into that resort in the future. Apparently, they understand a good value, and treated guests very well.

This was the response back from Carnival:

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We take pride in giving our guests the best time in every port we visit. That is why we are sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Bayihibe Beach Tour. Carnival relies on the information provided by the tour operators as these excursions are independently operated. It's not often that we have problems with our contractors and while the operators generally provide services without flaw, like anything else, there are times where glitches may occur. We want you to know that this situation is not what we would have wanted you to experience and trust that this did not color your opinion of us. I assure you that our management will review this matter internally and will take any action necessary to prevent a recurrence of this nature in the future. We hope that you will give us another chance to earn your business.

Thank you again for choosing us as your leading cruise line. We'd love to see you again soon.

Now this was 2 years ago that we went but we took transportation into the city and I was literally afraid to get off the bus! It was a very scary place. My sister and brother in law, however, went to a resort area and said it was great. I personally would never go back there. Any place that needs armed guards and a fence around the ship is one I don't care to return to.

I will say one thing positive though, where the ship docked you could see all these baseball fields with kids playing. That was cool.

Things may have changed in two years but that is what it was like when I was there.

Now this was 2 years ago Any place that needs armed guards and a fence around the ship

Things may have changed in two years but that is what it was like when I was there.

Anyone know if it is still this way? :eek:

we just returned and we chose the Catalina Island tour and ended up getting a 50% refund from Carnival after over half the people compalined. It was a catamaran ride to the island which was ok, but they told us half way there that we would have to transfer to another boat as they were not able to get near the beach....well we ended up with a little boat with an outboard motor that came out to get us. It was extrememly difficult getting from one boat to the other and then they dropped us off at a deserted part of the island about a mile from the resort. They said there would be food to purchase and then we discover a huge sub sandwich that they were selling pieces of for $8.50 a HUNK, and chips were $4 a bag.....I don't mind paying double for something but $4 for a 99-cent bag is a little much. The FREE drink we rec'd was some kind of awful tasting rum out of a bottle filled with some kind of straw or wood.....I passed....then pick up was the same....small fishing boat to the catamaran.......was never so glad to get back to our ship !!!! I have seen others post who were taken to the resort and loved it...but we ended up on Gilligan's Island I think. Very disappointing.

Anyone know if it is still this way? :eek:

There was only one way out of the port area, and it was thru a gate. Yes, the port is still surrounded in fencing. There is NO shopping to be had inside the port, save for a single duty free 'catch all' shop..

Yep, read this review earlier today, but I was confused, did the ship stop at Catalina instead of LaRomana, or did the group charter the trip from LaRomana? If the ship stopped at Catalina instead, how would I know if thats the case for my March 3, 2012 Iten?

I had to edit my first post. They went to Saona Island. The ship was docked at LaRomana. The excursion was through Carnival. It is the speedboat trip to Saona Island.

Yep, read this review earlier today, but I was confused, did the ship stop at Catalina instead of LaRomana, or did the group charter the trip from LaRomana? If the ship stopped at Catalina instead, how would I know if thats the case for my March 3, 2012 Iten?

your itinerary will specify Catalina...unless there is an issue and they re-route to Catalina over LaRomana.

I really wish that they would drop LaRomana...I found that the 'locals' weren't really interested in the type of $$ good tourism could bring.

I truly apprecaite all the feedback, and want to hear more, keep it coming please.

Carnival,

Are you listening to this?? I've heard Dominca is really nice, could be a good swap for Domincan Rep.?

It really was a wonderful trip. Curacao, Aruba and Grand Turk were fantastic. LaRomana would definitely require an excursion. Hopefully with the feedback, Carnival will be adjusting their excursions in LaRomana.

• 2 weeks later...

I also went on the Bayahibe beach break and did not like it. Saona Island looks beautiful. I saw some other pictures of this place on another thread and now I want to go! On the Seavisbayahibe tour, how long is the taxi ride and then how long is the boat ride to get to the island? Did their boats seem pretty reliable? I always worry about going off too far on an independent tour and then not being able to get back to the ship in time. What did Seavisbayahibe charge and did the drinks include alcohol? If I remember correctly Carnival's excursion to Saono did not include alcoholic beverages (not that I really need them).

Here are a few photos of our day with Seavis

Thanks so much for the photos! Beautiful! I see that you replied today to my question on the DR port thread. Thanks! I will definitely go there next time I'm ever in DR. I just might repeat this cruise, even though I went a few months ago. It was one of my favorite cruises other than the tour I took in DR.

I also went on the Bayahibe beach break and did not like it. Saona Island looks beautiful. I saw some other pictures of this place on another thread and now I want to go! On the Seavisbayahibe tour, how long is the taxi ride and then how long is the boat ride to get to the island? Did their boats seem pretty reliable? I always worry about going off too far on an independent tour and then not being able to get back to the ship in time. What did Seavisbayahibe charge and did the drinks include alcohol? If I remember correctly Carnival's excursion to Saono did not include alcoholic beverages (not that I really need them).

The taxi ride is 20 - 30 minutes each way depending on the driver. We had 5 vans and 2 got there in 20. The rest of us 5 minutes later.

Alexander from Seavis, made sure the taxi's were called back to pick us up on time.

They have several boats that seat different amounts of passengers. We had a 26 person boats that was in fine shape. They could use some new life rafts would be my only complaint, but hey at least they have them and safety is huge with them.

Our tour included unlimited rum, oj, soda to mix with the rum. Great fresh fruit too.

I did a group customized tour so our rate was different than the cruise rate posted $65. on their site for the Crusoe VIP tour. We had full taxi vans so another $15 pp.

If you do not have full taxi, it runs lots more.

I would suggest that you post on your ships roll call and try to get at least 10 others to join you. That way a full taxi and others to join in the fun of the tour. It makes things more comfortable numbers wise to venture out there.

I would email the company and see if they have other cruise pax interested for that day as well. I am sure they would try to set you up with others.

Feel free to eme if you want to discuss more. rdonte at cox . net

I do not work for them, just recommend the tour highly. I asked for proof of insurance and they faxed a copy right away too.

because this was a new port, our family opted for the AI 'Bayahibe Beach break' thru Carnival. It was probably the most disappointed I've ever been in an 'all inclusive' resort. No food was included, but all you care to drink...IF you could get a drink...and when you DID manage to get a drink, whether you asked for liquor or not, it didn't seem to make a difference. Others booked the Dream AI privately and had a wonderful time.

The area is currently under massive amounts of rebuilding, and you really have to drive to go anywhere..If I were to do the Aruba/Curacao/LaRomana itinerary again, I'd opt for staying on board rather than spend what we did to 'enjoy' the day.

here is a copy/paste from what I wrote about Bayihibe when we returned.. this is the letter I sent to Carnival:

On 10/20/2010, we took part in Carnival's 'Bayihibe Beach Break' in La Romana, DR. We paid approximately $64 per person ( x 4) for an 'all inclusive' excursion. While the resort was beautiful, we feel that the resort could have done a much better job in servicing guests. At one point in the day, we were approached by a merchant who offered us a bottle of rum to purchase for $50. We were able to barter down to $25, but upon returning home, we found this rum to be available for less than $20. I understand 'caveat emptor' but this was a bit disconcerting that a resort such as this would be out to 'pull one over' on Carnival guests, or ANY guest for that matter. There was only a single bartender on duty, and he really seemed indifferent to any guests that were at the bar area. He would serve only ONE drink at a time, even if asking for a non alcoholic drink. ( My children were not going to order drinks for themselves, naturally)

In regards to 'all inclusive'....when in the Carribbean, most folks want to kick back and enjoy themselves, and for $65, most would expect a fair amount of alcohol to be put in each drink they order. This was NEVER the case in any of the 3 drinks we had thruout the day. The fact that I was charged that price for a NON DRINKING minor (x2) was a disgrace. It was joked that the price I paid for the kids would make up for the alcohol that my husband and I would drink..it was amusing at the time, but given that they were putting less than a finger's width of alcohol in an iced 10 oz glass, it would have been difficult to even come close in the course of a 3 1/2 hour stay. I really got the feeling that the resort couldn't have cared less that they were hosting cruise ship guests for several hours, and I will be hard pressed to book an excursion like that in the future..

Many people booked outside of Carnival at the DREAMS resort...perhaps Carnival may want to look into that resort in the future. Apparently, they understand a good value, and treated guests very well.

This was the response back from Carnival:

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We take pride in giving our guests the best time in every port we visit. That is why we are sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Bayihibe Beach Tour. Carnival relies on the information provided by the tour operators as these excursions are independently operated. It's not often that we have problems with our contractors and while the operators generally provide services without flaw, like anything else, there are times where glitches may occur. We want you to know that this situation is not what we would have wanted you to experience and trust that this did not color your opinion of us. I assure you that our management will review this matter internally and will take any action necessary to prevent a recurrence of this nature in the future. We hope that you will give us another chance to earn your business.

Thank you again for choosing us as your leading cruise line. We'd love to see you again soon.

It is ironic that Carnival promotes the heck out of the assurance of quality by booking tours only through them and then plays the 'independant operator' card whenever something goes wrong.....

It is ironic that Carnival promotes the heck out of the assurance of quality by booking tours only through them and then plays the 'independant operator' card whenever something goes wrong.....

Another reason why experienced cruisers book privately. I find it funny when the CD gives his port talks and pushes the idea of only taking Carnival tours.

Well whoever they contracted for our Catalina Island tour was terrible. They couldn't even get the catamaran to the beach we had to transfer to an OLD fishing boat about 25 yards off shore....and believe me it was not easy getting all those people down into the boat ( had to make 2 trips)...it was awful. Then they dropped us off at a remote part of the idland....the water was not pretty the beach was not and in the pictures of the tour you can go to some shops and stuff....well they were about 2 miles down the beach....

Over half of the tour complained to Carnival guest services and we were given a 50% refund. If that is the kind of people they hire for excursions you are better off trusting locals on your own.

Archived