Using Bank of America debit in Italy

wantocruisemore

Anyone used Bank of America debit cards while in Italy? That's who we bank with. I noticed on their website where they listed some partner banks in Italy. I was wondering for those that have used BOA as to whether they had any problems and were able to use it everywhere without additional fees.

I was in Rome in September and used my BoA debit twice for ATM withdrawals. Looking back at my statement when I used it at Deutschebank there are some extra fees tacked on, when I used it at BNL there don't seem to be any separate fees listed. Not sure what the conversion rate was like.

I've had no problem using my BofA debit card. Just be sure you have a 4-digit PIN. European ATM's do not accept 5-digit PINs. If you use the BNL machines you will still have a currency conversion fee, if that bank charges one. They will waive the fee for using an out-of-network ATM.

Thanks for the info. Our pin is 4 digits so that should work. It worked fine for me in South America, I just haven't tried it in Europe.

We're also considering setting up a Capital One checking account too to have another account to access. We already have their credit card but I don't want to use it for case withdrawal.

PayPal is the best way to go they only charge a 1% fee and we had no problems using it on our last Med cruise.

How can you say it's the best way to go when there are institutions that do not charge the 1% fee?

CapitalOne and others do not charge any fees. In addition, CapitalOne will reimburse any fees charged by the owner of the ATM.

Lew

Sorry, I dont have a Capital One account and I thought a 1% conversion fee was good compared to some other financial institutions.

At 1%, it's certainly a much better rate than some credit cards levy. I've used credit cards that charged between 2.8% and 3%...certainly not good.

If you're happy with a 1% fee, great!

Lew

I've had no problem using my BofA debit card. Just be sure you have a 4-digit PIN. European ATM's do not accept 5-digit PINs. If you use the BNL machines you will still have a currency conversion fee, if that bank charges one. They will waive the fee for using an out-of-network ATM.

So what do I do if I have a Bank of America debit with at 6-digit pin? Can I request a change through the bank.

Also, we have a Capital One card that we would like to be able to use as a credit card for the hotel post cruise. Will we have a problem if it doesn't have a chip?

So what do I do if I have a Bank of America debit with at 6-digit pin? Can I request a change through the bank.

Better call your bank on that question.

Also, we have a Capital One card that we would like to be able to use as a credit card for the hotel post cruise. Will we have a problem if it doesn't have a chip?

You shouldn't. We used our CapitalOne credit card in Rome and Venice last October with no problems at all.

Since you're already a CapitalOne customer, you may want to consider their debit card for ATM withdrawals. You would need to open a checking account with them and then request a debit card. It has the same advantages as their credit card in foreign countries.

Lew

I would suggest that you explain CAREFULLY to BOA that you will be on a cruise ship in Europe, and find out where the cruise line is based. I was on the NCL Jade this past summer. I called BOA to let them know that I was on a cruise ship traveling to the various cities in Europe. However, I did not tell BOA specifically (and they did not figure it out for themselves either) that NCL is based out of Miami. So, after I used my debit card on the ship, because the charge showed up as being made in Miami, BOA put a hold on my card and I couldn't take care of it until I got back. Luckily, DH's card was fine as he travels a lot to Europe on business, so it didn't look as suspicious.

I would suggest that you explain CAREFULLY to BOA that you will be on a cruise ship in Europe, and find out where the cruise line is based. I was on the NCL Jade this past summer. I called BOA to let them know that I was on a cruise ship traveling to the various cities in Europe. However, I did not tell BOA specifically (and they did not figure it out for themselves either) that NCL is based out of Miami. So, after I used my debit card on the ship, because the charge showed up as being made in Miami, BOA put a hold on my card and I couldn't take care of it until I got back. Luckily, DH's card was fine as he travels a lot to Europe on business, so it didn't look as suspicious.

GREAT suggestion! I had planned to let them know the countries but I had not even thought about charges incurred on ship. We're traveling RCCL.

Thanks for the advise everyone. Today I was able to change to a 4-digit pin and I located the listing of BOA global partners, so I'll be all set getting money at an ATM. I'll be calling Capital One prior to our departure to advise them of the cruise travel to Europe. Thanks!

Archived