What a Sprint Cell phone bill looks like after calling from the ship

jaredsdad

Went on the Fascination out of Jacksonville and knew I had some important calls and texts while I was gone for the 5 days. So I called Sprint the day before and had them turn on international calling. We were local til about 7 pm first day out to sea and then the international roaming red triangle came on on my phone. Then sprint sent me a text on how to call the usa from the ship and pricing (2.99 per minute and 50 cents to text out and 5 cents to receive). when we got to Nassau we got a new text with lower rates ($2.29 per minute) While I did have a wonderful vacation, the phone was useful with a big deal we closed and on the vacation side, we made some last minute changes in Nassau and ended up saving several hundreds of dollars on some tours. We called from the ship to local tour operators- so the bill looks high but saved us money. Just went on line and copied this over. Calls are actually per minute used... mostly with tour operators. I guess we texted quite a bit.. mostly in as I am involved in several organizations and people text me reports and such. Did not ruin my vacation at all. Here are the reports:

International Roaming Used

39 / 0 Included

Remaining

Additional used39 Additional charge$93. 51

Messaging

Intl. Roaming Text Used

327 / 0 Included

Remaining

Additional used327 Additional charge$23. 10

That is insane. My phone gets powered down and put in the safe as soon as I can get to my room. If it is a "real" emergency people know how to get in touch with me.

Agree, I turn mine off never to be found till after the cruise!

So were you on vacation or just using the phone in a new location. We saw a couple at the beach, each with their own laptops. I say just stay home.

Given the opportunity to use my laptop at home, or on vacation on a beach, I'd definitely choose the beach! but that's just me...

Wow. I have an international texting plan with AT&T since my DH was living in Italy and is now living in Korea. It's saved us a ton of money.

I try not to call internationally if possible, but I know its sometimes not realistic. I don't think those charges are too horrible really. And I do keep in touch with my DH when I cruise.

was is a smart phone? If so, did it update and how long did it take?

We have a very sick family member. Was thinking of turning it on in the ports and checking for up dates on her. TIA

Keep in mind that if you don't have the data turned off on your smart phone, all your data will update in port, and you'll be charged for all of that data. If you are powering up your phone for texts or voicemails, then you'll only have any of those charges, as long as your data is turned off. on iphone it's: settings, general, network, and make sure DATA ROAMING is turned off.

That is insane. My phone gets powered down and put in the safe as soon as I can get to my room. If it is a "real" emergency people know how to get in touch with me.

i do the same. i take my cell with me only too use in case of emergency for a mix up with the cruise, towncar pick-up, something wrong with the flight or too get ahold of the hotel if i need too. otherwise it is turned off and in the safe like you. if there is a family emercency they know too get ahold of the ship too contact me. i leave home behind me after that.

On our first cruise, my stepson (Who was 17 at the time) didn't put his phone away when we told him too.. He said we didn't have a watch and was needing it to keep track of time.. Didn't want to be late for dinner... he swore to us he didn't use it, but we found out a month after we got back.. that he did.. his bill was well over 250 bucks.. We never did see the bill because his mom (hubby's ex wife) is the one who got stuck with that bill..

After that we decided not to trust any of our kids, and I take all phones the first day of the cruise.. turn them off and don't give them back till we get off the ship!..

So were you on vacation or just using the phone in a new location. We saw a couple at the beach, each with their own laptops. I say just stay home.

Sorry, but not everyone can cut all ties with work when they go on vacation. The only way some people may be able to take a vacation is if they work some while away. Sad but true. In this economy, I'd do whatever I had to. Fortunately, I have a work laptop and a work cell phone, and I have a personal cell phone and a personal laptop. When I go on vacation, the work equipment is left at home. I'm fortunate that way. Not everyone is.

Here's our funny phone story :) So my husband decided to start some updates on his iPhone while we were still in San Diego, before departing on the 9 day Spirit last month. It was about noon and he figured all the updates would be completed before we sailed. Our ship was late arriving to port and didn't leave until about 9pm that night. As soon as we pulled out of port he turned his phone off and put it in the safe.

Before going to bed, he thought he should charge it (just in case). So, he put it on the charger but did not turn it on. In the middle of the night he woke up very worried and went to the charger. Turns out the phone automatically turns on when placed on the charger. And it started to finish the updates (because they never in San Diego...lovely, slow AT&T service) but by that time we were in Mexico. He freaked out. He checked how much data had been updated at international rates and what the cost was and calculated it to be a $60,000 bill!!! He was so upset about it the entire trip. And it's a work phone so he worried about what his company would do.

When we got home he called AT&T right away and turns out they have a "point of orgin" rule whereby you are charged the rate where you initiated your data upload (San Diego). WHEW! :)

was is a smart phone? If so, did it update and how long did it take?

We have a very sick family member. Was thinking of turning it on in the ports and checking for up dates on her. TIA

AT&T has a plan called Cellular at Sea for $35 a month. You get unlimited incoming texts, 15 outgoing texts, and 15 minutes of talk time. I used it when I went on a cruise earlier this year without my kids. I would have them text me every evening letting me know how they were doing. Might be a good thing for your situation.

Here's our funny phone story :) So my husband decided to start some updates on his iPhone while we were still in San Diego, before departing on the 9 day Spirit last month. It was about noon and he figured all the updates would be completed before we sailed. Our ship was late arriving to port and didn't leave until about 9pm that night. As soon as we pulled out of port he turned his phone off and put it in the safe.

Before going to bed, he thought he should charge it (just in case). So, he put it on the charger but did not turn it on. In the middle of the night he woke up very worried and went to the charger. Turns out the phone automatically turns on when placed on the charger. And it started to finish the updates (because they never in San Diego...lovely, slow AT&T service) but by that time we were in Mexico. He freaked out. He checked how much data had been updated at international rates and what the cost was and calculated it to be a $60,000 bill!!! He was so upset about it the entire trip. And it's a work phone so he worried about what his company would do.

When we got home he called AT&T right away and turns out they have a "point of orgin" rule whereby you are charged the rate where you initiated your data upload (San Diego). WHEW! :)

Just out of curiosity, what the heck was updating that took that long? I've had iPhones for over 2 years, and ATT even longer, nothing I've ever updated took longer than maybe 10-15 minutes tops. And oh, I've heard how terrible ATT service is for many, I'm in 1% of ATT subscribers that gets good service from them.

I go as far as to take the battery out of my Blackberry because it seems like the slightest bump is enough to turn it back on. I don't want to have to explain to my boss why I have a huge data bill.

What we do as far as keeping in touch is my DH keeps his phone on for text messages and we don't answer any incoming calls unless they come from a very few people (who know not to contact us unless it is urgent). I typically buy the cheapest internet plan and check my email once a day or once every other day.

International Roaming Used

39 / 0 Included

Remaining

Additional used39 Additional charge$93. 51

Messaging

Intl. Roaming Text Used

327 / 0 Included

Remaining

Additional used327 Additional charge$23. 10

I don't think that's bad at all, for international calls. My AT&T bill on my last cruise was about $30 for about 15 minutes of international calls (I traveled with my mom and she used my phone to call home and check on my (disabled) dad in each of three ports). I did add their world traveler plan for the month of the cruise, after calculating that at my expected total minutes, the lower rates would outweigh the monthly fee. Just removed it as soon as I got back.

AT&T has a plan called Cellular at Sea for $35 a month. You get unlimited incoming texts, 15 outgoing texts, and 15 minutes of talk time. I used it when I went on a cruise earlier this year without my kids. I would have them text me every evening letting me know how they were doing. Might be a good thing for your situation.

thanks so much for that.....unfortunately it may be resolved before we leave :( I'm taking a break from un packing for our cruise to packing to say goodbye...so unfair.

Wow. I have an international texting plan with AT&T since my DH was living in Italy and is now living in Korea. It's saved us a ton of money.

I try not to call internationally if possible, but I know its sometimes not realistic. I don't think those charges are too horrible really. And I do keep in touch with my DH when I cruise.

I don't think those charges are unreasonably high, either. I have my cell with me and international plan. I keep it turned off until we get into a port and then text home back and forth to make sure all is well (mom in hospice, hail damage, etc) and then turn it back off before getting back on ship. Europe means lots of different country's rates, but texting is cheap. I spent $6 for an international plan for 30 days and paid about $12 for 15 days of texting (all is well here/all is fine at home, too).

Archived