Better to do Pompeii on Fri. & Rome (colosseum, forum etc.) on Sat. or reverse?

wantocruisemore

We're booked for the Vatican on a Thurs., Pompeii on Friday (because I was trying to avoid the weekend there) and for Sat. the general touring around sightseeing the colosseum, forum, pantheon etc. We arrive on Weds. morning and I did not plan on anything for that. Figured Trevi &/or Spanish Steps that first day. We leave for the ship on Sunday.

I had figured go to Pompeii on a weekday rather than a weekend, but now beginning to think the crowds in Rome itself may be alot worse on Sat. than Fri. so we may want to flip/flop. I can do that now but not if I wait. We'll be there June 29-July 3 if that makes a difference. I had figured Rome in July would be crowded every day.

Do I need to change plans?

Not sure what cruise you are going on but does it not stop in Naples? Rome to Pompeii is about 250 kilometers (through Naples). You need to take a train or drive. Regardless of your mode of transportation, it will be a really long day.

Rome is busy every day during that time of year so whether it is a Thursday or Saturday, it won't make a difference. It will also be scorching hot.

I think you need to re-think the schedule a bit especially if Pompeii is a must. You may wish to go down to Pompeii and spend the night instead of trying to make it a day trip.

Not sure what cruise you are going on but does it not stop in Naples? Rome to Pompeii is about 250 kilometers (through Naples). You need to take a train or drive. Regardless of your mode of transportation, it will be a really long day.

Rome is busy every day during that time of year so whether it is a Thursday or Saturday, it won't make a difference. It will also be scorching hot.

I think you need to re-think the schedule a bit especially if Pompeii is a must. You may wish to go down to Pompeii and spend the night instead of trying to make it a day trip.

Our stay in Rome is pre-cruise. We are on the Navigator for the Eastern Med. It does not stop at Naples. I appreciate your suggestions, but a day trip to Pompeii from Rome with RIL is the only way we can work this. We know it will be a 12 hour day but we will have the driver and a guide. We only have 4 days in Rome before our cruise and my immediate family cannot spend time after the cruise due to work obligations. My first choice would have been taking a train after the cruise to Naples for a couple of nights, but can't work it out.

Anyone have an answer to my question???

Our stay in Rome is pre-cruise. We are on the Navigator for the Eastern Med. It does not stop at Naples. I appreciate your suggestions, but a day trip to Pompeii from Rome with RIL is the only way we can work this. We know it will be a 12 hour day but we will have the driver and a guide. We only have 4 days in Rome before our cruise and my immediate family cannot spend time after the cruise due to work obligations. My first choice would have been taking a train after the cruise to Naples for a couple of nights, but can't work it out.

Anyone have an answer to my question???

I would avoid going to Pompeii on a weekend (especially in the summer) if you can. Last time we did this from Rome (on a land-based trip), we spent HOURS stuck in traffic along the coast (in April). We left Rome at about 8am did Positano for lunch and Pompeii and did not get back to our hotel until after 11pm - on a weekday (but at Easter time). If the weather is nice, traffic gets horrendous going south to the coast. Avoid the Amalfi coast tourist towns if you can, this is the worst of the traffic. I suspect that Friday would be better than Saturday..

Robin

Since you're going with RIL, why don't you email them and ask their advice? They have the experience and expertise to give you the best answer.

Actually that's a GREAT idea, thanks! Jany has been great helping us. We're booked with them for both the Vatican and the Pompeii tour.

Archived