Differences on a European cruise

NAUdebo

I'll be on the Magic this summer with my family for a 12-night sailing. It's also going to be my first time on Carnival. I've been spending time on the Carnival boards, trying to learn more about Carnival's policies, atmosphere, and tips/tricks for making the most of our experience.

My question is, for those of you who have been on a trip with Carnival in Europe, what does Carnival do differently on these sailings compared to the typical experience in the Caribbean or Mexico? I know these European trips come with a higher pp/per night price tag, more like $100-125 a night instead of $50-75. Does the food quality in Lido/MDR improve? Is the menu altered to reflect the local culture in any way (Italian, French, Spanish food?) Are there any port lectures or learning experiences offered? What are the passenger demographics - does it skew older and with more European pax, as I would expect?

Thanks for any insight you have!

The two that I have been on in the med were the same as the ones that I have been on to other places, food is the same entertainment is the same, everything is the same.

That is exactly why if I ever take European/Med cruise it will be with a European cruise company not an American based one. Why go all that far and pay all that money for something that you can get right here at home in your own backyard. I go to Europe/Italy primarily a couple of times a year so taking a cruise there would not specifically be for the ports but for the experience of sailing on a European cruise ship.

In the summer, there will be a lot of kids. Count on it.

Not sure about Carnival. But Princess had theme dinners based on country of the port. We had Greece, Turkey, Italy, Spain, and on the last night - American Night.

As far as entertainment goes, they might bring on entertainment from countries in Europe. Other lines do that. Not sure about Carnival. This will be new for us too.

I am hoping they are a bit more lax in Europe on allowing people to bring on bottles of wine.

The biggest difference will be the passenger mix. There will (in my experience) be fewer children and younger adults. Obviously, there will be more Europeans and Asians. Of our five European cruises I'd say about 50% or less were Americans.

I did not notice any relaxation of wine policy (and that is something I would remember :)). I do remember being especially disappointed that there was only one wine on the menu that was touted as being local and it was a red wine.

In the event that you find Carnival a bit roudy in the Caribbean (I'm not trying to start anything) you will find the European passangers on CCL to be much more tranquil. It is also a very port intensive cruise and folks are just pooped by evening.

Things on Carnival are much the same in Europe, but there were no liquor police to confiscate liquor and wine in every port. No immigration at the end. Not sure if they will charge VAT on gift shop purchase on the ship. The passengers will be mostly Americans.

Here are lots of pictures from our Carnival Dream Med cruise:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalDream/GrandMed/index.htm

And you can follow along with our Carnival Magic cruises:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_01_2011/index.htm

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_10_2011/index.htm

The menus aren't altered (much). Much of the food still comes from the usual sources, but they will pick up local produce and other perishables and fish.

Archived