New York Transfers

guernseyguy

I would be interested in people's experiences of disembarking recently in NY. I have usually just waited for a Taxi - but last time there were multiple Cruise ships docked & a horrendous queue, so we ended up dragging our baggage two blocks east & hailing a taxi on the street. Do Cunard run buses to Penn Sta & Grand Central, for example? (they did in October 2001, but that was from Boston, under rather different circumstances...). I just want to make the disembarkation process as painless as possible....already not looking forward to the immigration ritual.....

I took the Cunard transfer to Grand Central and Penn in 2004. It cannot remember how much I paid which probably means it was not much. We disembarked in the middle of the airport transfers, between self service and deck by deck disemembarkation.

After I had collected my bags I headed to the coaches directly outside the terminal building. The coaches were clearly marked and the driver loaded the bags. After boarding we were off in a few minutes. We went first to Grand Central and then Penn. I thought this was odd as Penn is so close to the port. The transfer was quite slow mainly beacause of the trafic and having to get from Grand Cental to Penn.

All in all a very easy way to get from the port to the station.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Just returned from the QM2 last week, disembarkation was a nightmare did not manage to get off ship until after midday as docked two hours late due to bad weather,and I would suggest if you have not much luggage to use self help, taxi was around $15 to Central Station, but the transfers organised by Cunard were $19 each person and you had to wait until your ticket colour came up. Found that the system for taxis was fair as given a number once in line and did not take too long to get a cab. Was however dissapointed in the organisation of disembarkation on Cunard.:(

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Help! I am dreading disembarkation after a previous NYC experience and reading all the postings. I will be returning from a transatlantic crossing on May 4th and my car will be at JFK, since we are flying from there to London before the cruise. I want to make the transfer as painless as possible, but don't know which option to choose. There will be 4 of us in a group, one of them my 81 yr. old mother in law. Cunard has sedans, limos and bus transfers. The cheapest of these is $42 per person for a bus transfer up to $170 per person for a limo. Should I try a different limo or car company? One posting I read said it was a madhouse at NYC with limos everywhere and finding the right driver with your name on the sign sounds overwhelming. I'd like to make this as painless as possible, but can't afford Cunard's prices, except for their motorcoach, which with 4 of us is still rather steep in total. Any suggestions? Thanks for helping....you are a great group!!

I just returned last week and did not find the experience too bad. Be aware however that if it is a weekend, there will be ships in that are doing the Bermuda cruises.

the taxi line was well run. You get a ticket with a number on it, from an attendant just outside the door. The line can move rather quickly. With your number of people, you will need a minivan taxi and they are available. I thought that Cunard's charges were extremely high, especially since they were per person. the taxis will be very happy to take you to the airport--- a nice fare.

Help! I am dreading disembarkation after a previous NYC experience and reading all the postings. I will be returning from a transatlantic crossing on May 4th and my car will be at JFK

Pam,

The good news is that the QM2 is the only ship docking that day (see here: http://www.nypst.com/WEBCAL/wc20050504.html) so the taxi line should not be too bad - my previous nightmare arrival was on Golden Princess on a Saturday with about three other ships docked (and in late September they are showing 6 docking in one day!) The Taxi line does work well - just on the day I arrived it was overwhelmed - we had number 437 and they were on 108, clearing about one a minute!

Peter

Does anyone know where the easiest place to rent a car would be in NY? We will spend a few days with some friends on Shelter Isalnd after our cruise and fly home out of Islip. Do we need to take a taxi to JFK or LAG to rent a car or is there any easier way? Thank you for your help!

There are many car rental offices in Manhattan--some quite close to the pier.

Web sites for the major rental companies have all the info you need.

You could take a taxi with your luggage to the car rental office, or you could walk to the car rental office, pick up the car and swing by the pier to pick up your luggage.

We just booked a few days ago and there will be four of us: My husband, mother, sister and of course me!!

We decided to go to Holland to see the tulips so are leaving on April 18th. I have spent the last three days SOLID on the computer making all the arrangements. It has been fun!

Do you know what kind of weather to expect crossing the Atlantic?

:) Gillian

Archived