Good job Cunard

andre4259

Great news today ! Check this out. Good job Cunard:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42607154/ns/travel-cruise_travel/

First woman named captain of a Cunard Vessel!

A very nice article and great to see a woman break through the glass ceiling at Carnival.

I will say, when this was announced, Mr. Shanks made several disparaging comments about women and female drivers which marred an otherwise nice event. I hope he does not speak for the entire company.

Really? Where?

It was on the Cunard blog which surprised me. Mr. Shanks made a crude remark about women drivers in relation to one now captaining one of their ships. I was shocked someone allowed such a derogatory, sexist comment to appear like that. Then again, impromptu public speaking isn't one of his strong suits it appears.

I can vouch for Captain Olsen, she was the Captain for our cruise on the Queen Victoria this past January. She didn't hit anything and we came through unscathed. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Mr. Shanks will read this and refrain from repeating things that have otherwise been proven to inappropiate in this day and age.

It was on the Cunard blog which surprised me. Mr. Shanks made a crude remark about women drivers in relation to one now captaining one of their ships. I was shocked someone allowed such a derogatory, sexist comment to appear like that. Then again, impromptu public speaking isn't one of his strong suits it appears.

Could you provide a link please?

Hi Husband & Wife. I spent some time searching the Cunard blog regarding the remarks you mentioned, but I was unable to find what you referred to...perhaps the remarks were removed? Can you post a link please? Thanks. -S.

I will say, when this was announced, Mr. Shanks made several disparaging comments about women and female drivers which marred an otherwise nice event.

IF he made 'disparaging comments', perhaps a sense of humour may have been necessary?

Mary

Could you provide a link please?

I doubt Kevin can, because what Peter Shanks actually said was:

“While we are far from being the first shipping company to have a female captain, it is nonetheless noteworthy when such a long-established British institution as Cunard makes a break with its captaincy tradition,” said Peter Shanks, president of Cunard. “But as Mark Twain drily observed, 'the folks at Cunard wouldn't appoint Noah himself as captain until he had worked his way up through the ranks.’ Inge has certainly done that,” Shanks continued, “and we are delighted to welcome her as our first woman driver.”

Since everyone knows that women have lower car insurance premiums than men (until the EU muck it up!) how that can be construed as anything other than a compliment defeats me (unless you glass is forever half empty, eh, Kevin?)

Last December Captain Olsen even managed to sail into Southampton with a close pass by Artemis with P&O's female Captain Breton at the helm and neither ships touched !! :D

Hi Husband & Wife. I spent some time searching the Cunard blog regarding the remarks you mentioned, but I was unable to find what you referred to...perhaps the remarks were removed? Can you post a link please? Thanks. -S.

I think I took the "women driver" comment as derogatory as here in the states the inference is almost always used as a negative. The PR release issued seems to be consistent no matter where I have looked.

I think I took the "women driver" comment as derogatory as here in the states the inference is almost always used as a negative. The PR release issued seems to be consistent no matter where I have looked.

Hi Husband & Wife. I understand. But from what I have read on this board, Captains have been referred to as "drivers". Just my personal take on the matter, but I see no offense in using the same term for a female captain. I look forward to the day when the gender of a captain is not noteworthy. Only the record counts. :) Cheers, -Salacia

Archived