Ecstacy

randyat1001

Well I have to say that this is the only good news that we've heard in the past few days...it is kind of on time:( Any news on if the cruise that is leaving today is still on schedule, and if it is still on schedule are they still planning on leaving at 4pm? I know that a lot of you CC live in that area and get the local stations which are covering this story. Today here in Maine it is another winter storm...........only 15 days till the Valor though:p

Sure enough, she's still there. At least now I can see the webcam. My pic was frozen at about 8:30 this morning and nothing would load until just now. I sure feel for those folks and those that just got home! Wonder if she will sail at all?:confused:

I think she is still there too. I wonder if they are going to leave tonight? There are 3 cruise docks in Galveston I think so she may be able to stay even if the Elation is coming in. I am so curious to see if anyone got on after we got off today??

The article below was found on the Houston Chronicles web site. The new pax may have a cruise to nowhere, also.

March 12, 2005, 3:35PM

Cruise plans may take on water

Hopefuls learn their ship hasn't failed, but it won't be fixed today

By KEVIN MORAN

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON - To go or not to go?

That could be the question for more than 2,500 people signed up for a trip on the Carnival cruise ship Ecstasy out of Galveston today.

In a letter sent to ticketholders and travel agents Friday, Carnival officials said problems that affect the ship's cruising speed likely will not be fixed today. But the ship is going anyway even if it may miss calling on one or both scheduled Mexican ports in the next five days.

The same mechanical problems kept the ship from those ports this week, leaving some passengers frustrated and angry.

Carnival hopes a problem with one of the ship's engines can be fixed at the dock today by technicians flown in to do the job, company officials said. But if the problem persists, passengers who choose to sail anyway face the possibility of a slow "cruise to nowhere" in the Gulf of Mexico instead of scheduled visits to the Mexican ports and beaches of Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

"If we don't get the problem fixed at the dock, It's a two-port, one-port or no-port possibility for the cruise," Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said.

The passengers who will be leaving the ship after its expected late arrival in Galveston this morning made no port visits this week because of an engine malfunction, de la Cruz said.

The passengers will get a 50 percent refund on their cruise tickets and a 25 percent discount on a future Carnival cruise if they choose to make one.

But many reacted bitterly to the ship's officers about missing Mexican destinations.

Carnival officials said they handed each of this week's passengers a letter as they boarded Monday. The letter informed passengers of the reduced-speed problem.

The letter described missing out on both ports as an "unlikely possibility." The letter said Carnival officials were optimistic about fixing the engine problem in time to allow port visits but warned that a "cruise to nowhere" could result.

The letter sent out Friday and to be handed to passengers today is markedly not optimistic, saying it is "unlikely that the ship will be able to operate its scheduled itinerary."

A Galveston cruise dock worker who asked not to be identified confirmed Friday that passengers received the letter as they boarded Monday and that six passengers chose to go home instead of sail.

The Ecstasy is expected to dock in Galveston today at least two hours later than its scheduled 8 a.m. return.

Passengers for the cruise scheduled to start today will be allowed to board sometime in the afternoon, but the ship may not sail until midnight if repairs still are under way.

It's 10:45pm EST, and it looks like to me that she is still there...anyone else have a take on this?:confused:

Looks like she's still there at 10:45p. The string of lights in the middle above the normal sky/shoreline should be a reference point.

I'm an aircraft mechanic, and just about ANYTHING that has to do with propulsion has redundancy built-in. Now, I know that there's a big difference in the 2, but you'd think that:

1> they'd be able to isolate the defective component by now (I understand it's a computer control issue)

2> They'd figure out a way to either repair/replace it, or control it with another logic circuit.

Geeze, it can't be that difficult!!!!

This is the 3rd time I recall this year that a Carnival ship has had some type of mechanical problems. I believe it was the Celebration, then the Glory, and now the Ecstacy. When something like this happens, why does Carnival just not cancel the cruise and get the ship fixed? I realize it all relates to revenue but to me it seems like short term thinking - making customers angry or not knowing what will happen certainly does not make for a happy customer. And unhappy customers eventually go elsewhere. Maybe it's time to just get rid of these older ships (well I know the Glory isn't older) and concentrate on the newer ones.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I sailed the Inspiration in December and though it had just come out of drydock, it was not in good condition. And that's the stuff I could see. Carnival, quit cutting corners with your older ships - either get them up to snuff or get rid of them.

Don't forget about the Holiday :p There is still a huge demand for the older, less expensive ships... Cancelling a cruise and rebooking 2000 people isn't that easy to do with most ships sailing at full capacity... so it really is a no win situation. They seem to have the problem for a couple of weeks and get it fixed... I agree, it's a hassle... but if they started cancelling cruises and not giving the option, they'd be dealing with even more angry passengers... no win...

Archived