Montreal Hotels Help Please

We are looking for Montreal hotel in mid price rate for our cruise in Sept, below are the hotels we are looking at. Preference is one that might have shuttle from airport or to cruise port, breakfast and is close to cruise ship terminal. Also are there atrractions near these hotels / easy to get transportation to?

-Maritime Plaza

-Embassy Suites

-Le Square Phillips

-Dauphin on De Bleury Street

-Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown

-Auberge Les Passants du Sans Soucy (B&B)

- Fairmont Queen Elizabeth - looks very pretty but more money

Any other suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

I can also recommend the Gingerbread Manor (a true B&B). Great host, not in old Montreal, but good location. A B&B or Inn will give you a much better feeling of the city, at least that is the way we have found our experience to be. Happy cruising!

Barbara

Thanks for the other B&B recommendation, I have read good things about it too. We are arriving in Montreal late Friday afternoon and leaving for our cruise next day so unfortunately we will not have lots of time to visit Montreal sites.

Have also read good things about Marriott Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. Is it worth considering?

We have not stayed there, but the location is very close to the port, I think within walking distance. The Les Sans Soucy is also. The only problem with trying to walk to the port is the cobblestone streets are really hard on the wheels of the suitcases! The reviews of both places are very good, don't think you can go wrong with either one. You might try a search, one poster (Ephraim) has some great threads on hotels and places to stay. We have stayed at Les Sans Soucy twice and will be staying there again soon, it is our favorite place in Montreal, almost like coming home.

Thanks for the other B&B recommendation, I have read good things about it too. We are arriving in Montreal late Friday afternoon and leaving for our cruise next day so unfortunately we will not have lots of time to visit Montreal sites.

Have also read good things about Marriott Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. Is it worth considering?

We are a group of 14 with reservations in Oct. at the Marriott Springhill Suites. Try checking tripadvisor.com for reviews. This hotel got really good reviews and is right in Old Town.

We are looking for Montreal hotel in mid price rate for our cruise in Sept, below are the hotels we are looking at. Preference is one that might have shuttle from airport or to cruise port, breakfast and is close to cruise ship terminal. Also are there atrractions near these hotels / easy to get transportation to?

Simple answers....

None of the downtown hotels offer an airport shuttle. Either take a taxi, a flat $38 per taxi or take the 747 bus for $8 per person but includes a 24 hour bus/metro pass.

None of the hotels in Montreal offer a cruise port shuttle, as far as I know.

As far as hotels are concerned, you get what you pay for in Montreal. Read the reviews and choose carefully. You can take public transport or personal transport to see things in Montreal.

Note: I am an innkeeper in Montreal and therefore my opinions may be biased.

...Old Town...

Old Town (Vieux-Ville) is 250 kilometers east of Montreal, in Quebec City, where it has always been. Montreal has Old Montreal (Vieux-Montreal).

(I'm saying this because if you use the term you will confuse us (the locals). It's not a term we use in Montreal, ever.)

• 3 weeks later...
I can also recommend the Gingerbread Manor (a true B&B). Great host, not in old Montreal, but good location. A B&B or Inn will give you a much better feeling of the city, at least that is the way we have found our experience to be. Happy cruising!

Barbara

I forgot to say thank you for the recommendation! We always appreciate it!

Ephraim

Anytime! Your valuable help on these boards have save many a cruiser lots of $$. I hear the river is very high and the Maasdam might have trouble reaching Montreal, any word there on the problem?

Anytime! Your valuable help on these boards have save many a cruiser lots of $$. I hear the river is very high and the Maasdam might have trouble reaching Montreal, any word there on the problem?

The Maasdam didn't make it to Montreal this week, it had to end in Quebec City because of the high water in the St-Lawrence river. See http://goo.gl/AiKeg for news on the floods. Apparently Noah was sighted.

I assume they were afraid it wouldn't make it under the bridge at Trois Rivieres (Three Rivers) and maybe hit some of the hydro wires (hydro in Canada is electricity, if you aren't from here and wondering. Or if you are Kathy Reichs and you don't know any better and make a mistake in your book, to the embarrassment of everyone, including yourself!)

They hired buses and woke everyone at 4:30 AM to start to get people to the airport on time. Those same buses will be taking people back to Quebec City where the ship will overnight. I had two sets of guest getting on the ship and three getting off. I even got to be the person to call HAL and break the news... before they even knew, because one of our guests was kind enough to email me.

The first of three have arrived and the second and maybe third are already on their way.

Thanks, we don't arrive until the 19th and board on the 21st so maybe (!!) the river will go down before then. Otherwise we will get a scenic tour of Quebec. We have learned to just take things as they happen over the years anyway so really don't care as long as no one is harmed in the happenings. We will have our day in Montreal no matter what. Have a great weekend!

B

Thanks, we don't arrive until the 19th and board on the 21st so maybe (!!) the river will go down before then. Otherwise we will get a scenic tour of Quebec. We have learned to just take things as they happen over the years anyway so really don't care as long as no one is harmed in the happenings. We will have our day in Montreal no matter what. Have a great weekend!

B

The river swelled from the rain. It should be back to normal in a few days. Well before you get here.

I don't think it's really a scenic tour on that bus, it's likely the lovely view of highway 20.

Archived