Photography in Alaska, how to get good pics?

Sailkeywest

Hey, I made a post earlier and it did not post!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the very informative discussion on cameras, filters, and tripods. I told Hubby that the filters are a must, but we are still contemplating the tripod.

I really like these filters, does anyone know what the advantages of these are?:

http://www.adorama.com/TF62CK.html (ty dan) (ty keith also for your input, I've decided we definitely need one!)

And Kc7wxy, we got one of those backpack-camera-carrying cases that you can wear over the shoulder (kata) I hope that it is good! I like that it came with a rain-cover.

Also, Chipmaster, you made our decision even harder! If we go the economical route, we save money, but in the long run it might not be worth it to do so!

Also, if anyone knows the diff between aluminum and carbon fiber tripods, input is appreciated.

Thank you again :)

The advantages of the UV filter are that they reduce haziness in outdoor photography and can increase contrast. The biggest thing is that they protection your lens, though.

A polarizer will have a much more pronounced effect on shots you use it on. When using it outdoors, you can rotate it to make the clouds absolutely pop out. It will also reduce glare off the water and make your colors more vibrant. However, it will also cost you a few stops (f-stops) in exposure so they are not ideal for every shot. You leave the UV filter on and screw the polarizer on or off as called for.

Difference between aluminum and carbon fiber tripods is basically weight. Carbon fiber are lighter -- which can also mean less stable at times. As long as the tripod is rated for a weight well above your camera weight (I would look for a minimum of 4 lb rating, but prefer 6), you will be fine with either.

I just bought a manfrotto monopod to use with my Sigma 150 - 500mm lens. I am thinking monopods must take some getting used to. I actually think it is making it worse than helping at all :(

AS far as tri pods go you get what you pay for just like anything else.

Our a cheap computer or an expensive one ?

I actually am incredibly cheap when it comes to a computer. My home system is a 2.4Ghz hand built with a free Northwood chip. I have upgraded the HDD but its till going well. It runs windowsXP, slow on bootup but runs fine. Time is money with compute speed, and many times a few seconds saves me a LOT of money. A slow lens, camera on the other hand can result in a blury or missed picture and many a time pictures and moments in time are never repeated so there I will spend serious money.

Also, if anyone knows the diff between aluminum and carbon fiber tripods, input is appreciated.

For tripods a good rule of thumb is buy a tripod rated to 2x the weight of what you plan to put on it.

Carbon is rigid but very very light material. You find that in cars, airplanes, bikes, and tripods too :D. You pay a huge premium almost 2x in price for 1/2 the weight.

Omg, the doorbell just rang and Hubby brought me a package with 3 Hoya filters in it!! It has the UV©, the Circular PL, and the NDx8. I am so excited! I totally was not expecting it :)

Thanks to all for taking the time to give me such great advice, it is much appreciated by this photography newbie :)

Filters: one 52-mm and 58-mm each of UV and circular polarizer. These are the mid-range yellow-box Hoyas. Slightly more expensive but I prefer them because of the higher-quality of the glass and threads and because they have multi-coated anti-reflective surfaces that give better images.

I bring a spare flash memory card for the camera so I don't have to worry about running out of storage space while shooting. In the past I have shot between 50 and 200 full resolution raw 12 megapixel images images per day on ship or on excursions, so sometimes I do need the extra card. It averages over 100 per day -- last summer's 14-day Mediterranean run yielded 1800. I also bring a spare point and shoot camera along just in case; the two of us trade off during the day.

I bring my little netbook along and copy each day's photos onto the 320 GB hard drive. I also bring along enough usb drives to make backup copies of everything just in case the netbook is lost or damaged.

Haven't lost a photo yet that I haven't erased on purpose;). That's the challenge of course -- getting those excellent images that are worth keeping and looking at many times, beyond the memorabilia that help recall the experiences.

Archived