Anyone been on the Westbound TA with kids?

GatorMomInNC

I have the DCL WBTA booked for September of this year, but I am still not 100% sure. I've looked for reviews on the TA and they are very few, and I haven't seen one with kids. I would be traveling with my 4 and 7 year old kids, without my husband. Anyone been on this cruise with kids? Did they get bored? Did YOU get bored? Any input would be great.

I have the DCL WBTA booked for September of this year, but I am still not 100% sure. I've looked for reviews on the TA and they are very few, and I haven't seen one with kids. I would be traveling with my 4 and 7 year old kids, without my husband. Anyone been on this cruise with kids? Did they get bored? Did YOU get bored? Any input would be great.

Too funny! I just went on a South AMerica/Antarctica cruise for nearly 4 weeks with my 7 yr old & left the almost 4 yr old twins home w/ dad (he didnt want to go).

When I found the awesome EBTA rates last week I really wanted to go-- but DH started out saying no!-- no time to do this. THe 7yr old said -- mom we don;t need dad to go we will just go without him like last time but we should bring the brothers along too! I was so close to being on the EBTA with just me & the 3 kids but DH came around & Grandma joined in too.

for the me & 7yr old only cruise we were on Princess-- DS was never bored, did not miss anyone & had an awesome time, as long as I was not dragging him around to museums in ports (well dinosaur & science museums were ok-- just no legislative palaces, wandering thru city streets, etc......- at that point I would hear....can we just go back to the ship, how much longer, how much further......... then he would list off all the things that he could recall that were happening back on the ship in club. I am guessing it will be similar for this cruise. We havent been on a disney cruise but me & DH love sea days. DH prefers to not have to be drug around town during port days -- as I always have jam packed port days to explore as much as possible in the short period of time. We are looking forward to the 6 sea days. DS & I were never bored over our 3 wk cruise and there were so many things that we still did not have the time to do. I am hopeful we will have a similar experience with DCL next month-

I had to force DS to spend time with me while on our cruise, since he was having so much fun in club. I read several books from start to finish for the 1st time in many years. Spent alot of time in the thermal suite on my own- which was wonderful! I think you & the kids will have a great time

I can let you know how the kids do next month but not sure this will be in time for you to make a decision one way or another

There are quite a few kids booked for the eastbound in May. Your kids should not be bored. They will get extra attention from kids club. There will be other kids onboard.

Hi Stsomewhere...

I'm enjoying the thread.

We are booked on the Eastbound TA leaving 14th may.

As we are traveling with our 9yr old your comment about **quite a few kids booked** grabbed my attention.

How did you find this out? Is there a link ?

The other posts mention a "roll call" thing on a specific Disney board. Any clues/

Thanks.

NL

My 7 year-old daughter will be with us on the WBTA in September. This will be our first Disney cruise, but I can definitely say that on our 20-day EBTA last year on Holland America that she was never bored and we had a wonderful time.

My 7 year-old daughter will be with us on the WBTA in September. This will be our first Disney cruise, but I can definitely say that on our 20-day EBTA last year on Holland America that she was never bored and we had a wonderful time.

Oh great! I'm very close to purchasing the airline tix today!

I would suggest booking an airline that has individual TV monitors at every seat. We were lucky enough to fly business class, but even if you're in coach I'm sure your child would appreciate the personalized entertainment. As will you!

From all the reviews we read prior to booking the WBTA, the kids (or adults) won't want to get off the ship in Florida!! Boredom was never mentioned in the reviews we read. Taking our 5 and 1 year olds in September. :)

From all the reviews we read prior to booking the WBTA, the kids (or adults) won't want to get off the ship in Florida!! Boredom was never mentioned in the reviews we read. Taking our 5 and 1 year olds in September. :)

Well, we will see you then, because I've booked the OGT rate, which means it is non-refundable, and I've booked my non-refundable airline tickets.

Are you on the DisBoards also?

I'm so close to booking but I also keep wondering if there will be enough kids. My girls will be 12 and 15. I've checked on the Dis boards and there are a few in the roll call, for lack of a better word, but I was hoping to see as many as are listed for the EBTA.

I guess May is a better time to travel with kids, maybe some schools are out already.

Jeannine

Well, we will see you then, because I've booked the OGT rate, which means it is non-refundable, and I've booked my non-refundable airline tickets.

Are you on the DisBoards also?

Yep! I am the one coordinating the pajama breakfast and Tortola excursion listed on the first page of the thread. :D

I'm so close to booking but I also keep wondering if there will be enough kids. My girls will be 12 and 15. I've checked on the Dis boards and there are a few in the roll call, for lack of a better word, but I was hoping to see as many as are listed for the EBTA.

I guess May is a better time to travel with kids, maybe some schools are out already.

Jeannine

I think traditionally the May TA cruises have more kiddos than Sept/Oct. Many parents will withdraw their children from school those last couple of weeks (unless older and taking finals). I had been watching the TA cruises the past few years, and now that I am no longer in the classroom but tutoring math online, I had to play the same questions --- when is it easier to take a couple weeks off and not impact my tutoring students as much. (If I said I was taking off in May, I know I would have parents freaking out --- so many finals and state assessments!)

For us, I think missing the first couple of weeks is better because it's mostly review. At least that's what I keep telling myself to justify them missing school. We did the 11 night Mediterranean last year and loved it. But we really did not have the opportunity to do much on the ship. That's what's so nice about the WBTA.

I have a deposit that I have to move by Monday so we have to decide this weekend.

jeannine

I was worried about the lack of kids too, but after looking at the "roll call" on the DisBoards I felt a lot better. There were some kids, and in my experience the roll call is only the tip of the iceberg. Also, my older son is kind of shy, and I actually think it will better if there aren't a ton of kids. I think he will feel more comfortable with a smaller (hopefully) close knit group of kids.

We go to year-round schools and we are off most of September, December, March and June, so my son will only miss 3 days of school for this trip and I think that is within acceptable limits.

Archived