port to town in Marseille

btorlv

On other threads I've found that they say cabs do not like to take the short trips and that particular one is about $20 per cab. The drivers want to do the tours of the town. We're faced with the same predicament. A ship-provided (hopefully decent priced) shuttle would be nice.

We sailed on RCCL and they had shuttles running constantly. The cost wasn't much, I want to say 5-10 a person. They pick you up in front of the ship and drop you off at the city center by the marina. After we spent enough time roaming around, we went back to the drop off spot and caught a bus back to the boat. It's too far of a walk to go from the ship to the city.

My husband and I usually walk 4 miles a day at home for exercise so even it is a 5 mile walk, that is fine for us (since it will be a leisurely walk). Sometimes we like to walk into the city and then take transportation back. (It helps burn off some of the extra calories we eat every night). Is it more than a 5 mile walk from the port to the clock tower?

I have seen on another site that walking from the cruise port to the Vieux Port is not recommended. No reason for the recommendation was stated.

However, I have heard that may lines do provide shuttle bus services to the Vieux Port which is the center of tourist activity in Marseilles.

I have seen on another site that walking from the cruise port to the Vieux Port is not recommended. No reason for the recommendation was stated.

However, I have heard that may lines do provide shuttle bus services to the Vieux Port which is the center of tourist activity in Marseilles.

Do you know what lines provide shuttle service?

I read that many lines provide shuttle buses from the cruise port to the Vieux Port for 5 euros on the Cruise Critic port review for Marseilles. But the review does not say what lines do this. The line I will be on, Azamara, advised me that because of the small size of the ship they most likely will be able to get a berth in Jolliette only 1/3 of a mile from the Vieux Port. They say if the berth is further out they will provide a complimentary shuttle.

Susan,

I cannot get a straight answer from Oceania. Did they provide a free schuttle on a previous cruise, or did they say they would for future cruises

We were on Marina for last month's Pearls of the Riviera cruise. We were provided free shuttles to the center of town in Valencia, Mallorca, Marseille, Livorno, and (I'm told) Sorrento.

You can easily get from the ferry port into the centre by public transport. Details: http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/boats-sea-ships-ferries/225-marseille-ferry-port-the-complete-guide.html

However this port is just for commercial ferry services to N Africa and Corsica. The cruise terminals are strung out along the coast north of there (ie further from the centre). Depending on where yr ship docks, you could walk to the ferry port and take the metro or bus from there.

The walk all the way to the centre isn't inspiring as this part of Marseille is one giant building site at the moment as part of the preparations for MRS's turn as European City of culture in 2013.

When we were in Marseilles, the City and merchants actually provided a free shuttle to town. The bus dropped us off right on the water front. Lots of shops near by and the Little Train tours are right there too.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I usually walk 4 miles a day at home for exercise so even it is a 5 mile walk, that is fine for us (since it will be a leisurely walk). Sometimes we like to walk into the city and then take transportation back. (It helps burn off some of the extra calories we eat every night). Is it more than a 5 mile walk from the port to the clock tower?

Not sure I would walk 4-5 miles from a port to a town, especially in a strange place.......no matter how good of shape we're in.

• 10 months later...

We were on the Carnival Magic last May and stopped in Marseille. There was a shuttle for 12 euros RT. There was a long line to get bus tickets and it took 30 minutes for the ride into town because of traffic. From where we were docked I would not recomend walking into town. There were several fenced off areas and freeway type roads with exit ramps and such. There was also a lot of construction and I really don't know how someone walking would get through. Here is what I rote in my review:

Our first port of call was Marseilles the third largest city in France. We had planned to take the Blue Coast train for a scenic ride. We left the ship at 8:15 to catch the 9:34 train. You have to take a shuttle (12 eurosRT) into the city. There was a long ticket line and then of course we had to wait for the shuttle. The ride was almost 30 minutes. We walked to the metro to take it to the train station but missed the train by 10 minutes. Oh well time for plan B. We took the metro back to the water front and took the #83 bus along the coast to the beaches. We walked to several beaches that were adjacent to each other and went for a swim at the nicest one. After we took the bus back to the waterfront we took the #60 bus up to Notre Dame de Gard. This was a beautiful church high on a hill overlooking all of Marseilles. After we took the bus back to the waterfront we walked to Fort St Jean. It was closed for renovation but it was still a beautiful walk. There is a small park up some stairs that give beautiful views of the harbor. We also walked a short way to the Cathedral Major St Lavant. Unfortunately it was closed on Monday but the outside was amazing. We then took the shuttle back to the ship. The bus had a lot of trouble navigating the small streets and even got stuck once.

I am not an "athlete" and we were sailing on Oceania and easily walked from the ship to the center of town.We got a tour bus right at their marina and it took us up to the cathedral(don't miss this!!) , it gave us spectacular views of Marseiles. When they picked us up they took us on a hair bending drive back down through the city. Cost was inexpensive and well worth it.

I am not an "athlete" and we were sailing on Oceania and easily walked from the ship to the center of town.We got a tour bus right at their marina and it took us up to the cathedral(don't miss this!!) , it gave us spectacular views of Marseiles. When they picked us up they took us on a hair bending drive back down through the city. Cost was inexpensive and well worth it.

Oceania probably does not dock at the same place as Carnival and the Epic. The walk from where we docked was several miles and would be dangerous to walk. The bus ride was almost 30 minutes.

Here's a picture of it...it is parked in the marina which is in the center of the downtown...price was a few Euros. It takes you on a pleasant ride through the streets of Marseilles. there are certain points you can hop off and on...total ride is about 30 minutes.

Marseilles is fairly hilly so walking it on your own is tiring.

untitledTRAIN.jpg.64cc3a95097c99cd31d3282dcc568120.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Sailing on the Epic Sept 30-Oct 7 2012...Does anyone know if the Epic provides a shuttle service from the dock to the Old Port. Also, I have heard a lot of talk about the "little train tours" can anyone explain what this is, and the cost pp?

Any lunch recommendations? Quaint cafe?

Been looking into trips in Marseille suitable for grandparents and teenagers, found on one of these boards details for the 'little train' hope this is useful

www.petit-train-marseille.com

Archived