fall colors tour

I think you will be too early to see much change of colour. They generally start the end of September and peak about the second week of October.

You will need to tell us your ports of call if you want any specific suggestions.

I think you will be too early to see much change of colour. They generally start the end of September and peak about the second week of October.

You will need to tell us your ports of call if you want any specific suggestions.

Will be on the MSC Poesia Oct 15 cruise for 7 days' Spending 5 days in Quebec City before cruise then our ports are: St John NB, Bar Harbor, ME, Boston MA, Newport RI, New York.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We do have a private tour booked in St John to see some of the town, a scenic coastline ride along Bay of Fundy to St Martin's and will probably have lunch at the Cave's. It is a 4 or 5 hour tour.

Don't really like doing ship tours so helpful hints welcome.

Thanks

There is a lot of sightseeing info about Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport on the New England forum. You might have to do a search for what you are interested in. Most common destinations are - a tour to Acadia Park in Bar Harbor, HOHO in Boston and in Newport take the local bus or taxi to the mansions and Cliff Walk. Bar Harbor and Newport are tender ports - not a good idea to buy any tickets ahead. If the weather is bad with rough seas the ship won't stop at these ports and you will be stuck with the tickets.

• 4 months later...

See the link below for the full story. The following is an excerpt.

"The three Maritime provinces have plenty to offer foliage fans. Trees topped with crimson, bronze, incandescent orange; factor in the blues of water and sky and you’ll see a Crayola box of colours if you’re prepared to log a few kilometres in the car.

1. The Cabot Trail wins the location lottery as far as most leaf peepers are concerned.

2. Lunenburg County ( near halifax ) amid all the evergreens, such deciduous species as red oak, sugar maple and yellow birch create an eye-popping display.

3. The Saint John River , the upriver scenery is sublime.

4. Kings County, on Prince Edward Island's eastern edge, is laced with back roads and driving any of them in autumn is a revelation

When should you go?

Determining precisely when leaves will change is tricky. In the Maritimes, meteorologist Cindy Day notes that the process begins in the highest and most northern areas the third week of September, and lasts in lower, southern sectors until mid-October. The caveat, she adds, is that “the wet [summer] we experienced this year seems to be pushing the schedule ahead a week or so.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/destinations/travel-canada/where-to-find-flamboyant-foliage-in-the-maritimes/article2159505/

• 3 weeks later...

I am in Northern Nova Scotia and they are a bit early this year, starting to turn already. The further north you go (generally) the later they turn colour. Cape Breton may be still great.

If you are going to Sydney, rent a car and go for a scenic drive either on part of the Cabot Trail or around the Bras D'Or Lakes.

If you do a search you will find many previous posts on what to do from Sydney.

RealCajunLady,

It is gorgeous in Montreal and surrounding areas right now. The weather is also very cooperative (warm and not too windy), so the foliage is beautiful - perfect for a fall cruise! It is of course hard to predict the weather, but since you will be here in about 2 weeks, I would think that you have an excellent chance of seeing beautiful fall colours! I took the train between Quebec City and Montreal last Friday, and was amazed at the foliage, and I live here! It has been quite warm these past couple of weeks, so with any luck, the colours will be even more spectacular in a couple of weeks, since there is still a lot of green on the trees right now.

Happy cruising!

we are taking a cruise innto Canada at the end of Sept. and was wondering if there are any tours where we could see the fall colors? We will be on the Glory sailing out of NY on Sept. 24

There are no fall colors in Canada only fall colours. Just teasing!!:D;):D

maryann - We have a private tour booked and can go anywhere we want on our Sydney stop. Our plan was to do the Cabot trail. If our goal is foliage would you suggest we stay with the plan or do the Bras D'Or Lakes region, or? ? Your opinion would be appreciated.

We are in port from 9:00 to 5:00 and are docked. I gather that the trees are beautiful on either trip?? Earliest suggestions was that Cabot trail would be a must see. But should we consider the weather on that day in making our decision - if raining and overcast - should that influence our choice?

Archived