Restaurants in Vancouver, the short list Help in choosing?

When did you say that your friends on CC can drop by for a feast of halibut and chips tenderly cooked over the bbq while watching the cruise ship sail up the coast to Alaska.

Enjoy your Sunday

Cheers

Dennis

My husband and I went to Vancouver last September 3 days before our first cruise. We stayed at the Loden - great hotel. Our first night, we went to Cardero's in Coal Harbour - it is one of the best restaurants we have ever been to. It is casually elegant (meaning that you could were a nice pair of jeans or a dress and feel comfortable). They have a great atmosphere (wall to wall windows in the back looking over the harbor and the snow capped mountains) with an open kitchen, wonderful service, great food and reasonable prices. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Also, I saw Giada De Laurentis eat at The Sand Bar on Granville Island and since then, I have wanted to eat there. You will also not be disappointed. We ate on an open patio under the Granville bridge. There is a nice bar, cozy tables and it overlooks the water and has a huge outdoor fireplace.

If you can get to both, go to both.

I had some cruising friends visit me a week ago at the end of there repo and we decided to have supper at Cadero`s - they loved it and want to go again the next time they are in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

Aqua Riva is closing for good on June 30th.

I always found this place to be over priced ...

I had some cruising friends visit me a week ago at the end of there repo and we decided to have supper at Cadero`s - they loved it and want to go again the next time they are in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis did they mention if they ate restaurant side or pub side? and anything about the noise level. ??

I have long been a fan of Cardero's...but I have to admit it can be a tad on the noisy side. It could be argued that it probably is not quite in the same league as the list of restaurants that began this thread, maybe with the exception of the Sandbar which does have a more extensive menu. All that aside...chaulk up another vote for Cardero's

We ate in the restaurant side and it was noisy - my friends are sports fans who live in the Bay area - huge Giants fans and follow the Sharks somewhat - that was the night that San Jose built up the 3 - 0 lead and hung on for the 4 -3 victory. I got treated to the meal.

They like those types of restaurants and were also the ones who introduced me to the In-Out burger chain.

When I am in SF in the fall on the repo cruise they will be taking me on a private wine tasting.

The other night I was at O`Douls - treated once again by a long lost nephew being reunited with a half sister and uncle for the first time and the food was also twice the price of Cardero`s and about half the portion.

Cheers and GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Dennis

I think you meant that it is only 1/2 block from Stadium Skytrain station for those who go out for dinner on transit.

As Viv knows, many of the spot prawns that make their way into Vancouver restaurants come from here on the Sunshine Coast, I currently have my order in for 10 lbs of tails and am waiting for my friendly neighborhood halibut fisherman to produce my semi-annual 25 lb halibut...what a life we live up here.:)

My nephew worked tuna boats for several years in university and then did prawns last year. He said that the fishing was so easy and the scenery so beautiful in the inlets that most people would pay to do it.

Viv

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, I'm glad you already mentioned how much we liked it, because I was just getting ready to. It was a wonderful meal, and the view out those windows (which is why I wanted to go there) was spectacular!

BTW, we just booked another repo for next May. Want to join us at Cardero's again?

Good luck to the Canucks. We'll be watching tomorrow night! After all, we are all Canucks (when we're visiting).

Actually if I don`t do Europe next year I might just join you on that cruise - will do some checking on details and cost.

Haven`t sailed the Jewel yet and will be platinum by that time.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived