Is this itinerary for cruise and Universal OK?

AussieNewbie

Hi, sorry if these questions have already been asked a thousand times before, but a friend and I (both females in ours 40s) are considering a cruise plus land visits in May 2012. So far this is what we have come up with, is it possible or are there better options, for example are there holiday packages that cover most of this.

1. Fly to Fort Lauderdale from Australia

2. One night in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise

3. Board Oasis of the Seas for 7 night cruise

4. Go to Universal Studios in Orlando for 3-4 days post-cruise (how to get there?)

5. Go on a day trip to Kennedy Space Centre from Universal (how to get there?)

6. Fly home from Orlando

Our main concerns are getting from Fort Lauderdale up to Orlando after the cruise and getting around once up there. :confused:

Thank you.

Hi, sorry if these questions have already been asked a thousand times before, but a friend and I (both females in ours 40s) are considering a cruise plus land visits in May 2012. So far this is what we have come up with, is it possible or are there better options, for example are there holiday packages that cover most of this.

1. Fly to Fort Lauderdale from Australia Sounds great!

2. One night in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise Good!

3. Board Oasis of the Seas for 7 night cruise Wonderful!

4. Go to Universal Studios in Orlando for 3-4 days post-cruise (how to get there?) Easiest and cheapest way from Fort lauderdale to Orlando is via rental car - it only takes about 3.5 hours and most of the drive will be on interstate highways or toll roads.

5. Go on a day trip to Kennedy Space Centre from Universal (how to get there?) Keep your rental car - you'll need it in the Orlando area and will usually get a better rate with a 5-7 day rental. Check our www.carrentals.com to compare rates from many agencies. The drive from Orlando to KSC takes about 45-60 minutes (again, mostly highways and toll roads).

6. Fly home from Orlando Every good thing comes to an end.

Our main concerns are getting from Fort Lauderdale up to Orlando after the cruise and getting around once up there. :confused:

Thank you.

While there are bus services and even the train and some flights between FLL and MCO, a rental car is likely to be your cheapest and most convenient option - provided you don't mind driving on the correct side of the road. :rolleyes:

Good luck! :)

1. Fly to Fort Lauderdale from Australia

2. One night in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise

3. Board Oasis of the Seas for 7 night cruise

4. Go to Universal Studios in Orlando for 3-4 days post-cruise (how to get there?)

5. Go on a day trip to Kennedy Space Centre from Universal (how to get there?)

6. Fly home from Orlando

Thank you.

I think JohninDC pretty much covered the essentials. Regarding rental car to Orlando post cruise, the easiest and quickest way will be via Florida's Turnpike which is a toll road. Same with the highway from Orlando to KSC (State Road 528 or "The Beachline"). In South Florida, the toll roads have gone cashless, so you can either purchase a transponder called a SunPass https://www.sunpass.com/index or an electronic pass from the car rental company. They will charge you by the day for this. Of course, you could travel from Ft. Lauderdale via Interstate Highway 95 (I-95) and not pay any tolls, but it will take you along the coast and not inland to Orlando. However, if you are going directly to KSC after your cruise, that route would work very well. Returning to Orlando via SR 528, you would simply pay $1.50 at the toll booth.

Thank you so much for your replies! You have given a lot of helpful information which we will need to think about, in particular the driving on the 'other' side of the road. But that is all part of the excitement and adventure! :D

I fully understand your concern. However, driving on the interstate highways, Florida Turnpike and even The Beachline is not much different than back home because these are limited access roads and you are essentially going in a straight line, just following the road. It's only when you have to make right and left turns in traffic that it gets somewhat "tense."

While there are bus services and even the train and some flights between FLL and MCO, a rental car is likely to be your cheapest and most convenient option - provided you don't mind driving on the correct side of the road. :rolleyes:

Good luck! :)

One thing you mentioned, 'there are some flights between FLL and MCO'.....is there are reason it's not very convenient? If we get cold feet with the self-drive option we may have to consider getting a flight. Of course we would have to get a taxi (I assume its not too far) from the port to FLL after disembarking, then a taxi or shuttle from MCO to Universal. Once in Orlando we wouldn't have a car of course, so this could complicate things again....

Last year we did the universal studios segment first, rented a car, and drove down to Ft Lauderdale. It really is a very easy drive and took us just over 3 hours.

Renting a car is the way to go, but I'd suggest a change to your itinerary. I'd suggest you rent a car in Ft Lauderdale, go to Kennedy Space Center first, and then go to Universal Studios. Once at Universal Studios, get rid of the rental car....you won't need it anymore.

If you decide to stay with your plan, then you can rent the car in Ft Lauderdale, drop it off in Orlando, and then pick up a car again when you want to take a day trip to Kennedy Space Center. Hertz is on-site at the Universal Resorts, but there are several other rental car companies nearby.

Finally, for help with the rental car sites near Universal Studios as well as any additional questions you have on Universal Studios, check out the "disboards" website if you haven't done so already. Tons and tons of helpful info there.

Renting a car is the way to go, but I'd suggest a change to your itinerary. I'd suggest you rent a car in Ft Lauderdale, go to Kennedy Space Center first, and then go to Universal Studios. Once at Universal Studios, get rid of the rental car....you won't need it anymore.

Thank you. The more I think about it, the more I need to think about it! Changing the itinerary might be a sensible solution and possibly start in Orlando instead of Ft Lauderdale.......hhmm yes.

Thanks for everyone helpful replies!

Archived