VALOR Anyone??? 04/10/11 Western Caribbean Review

MrsBlair

APRIL 14, 2011 – BELIZE CITY (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)

Last year, we did the River Wallace / Altun Ha Ruins excursion through Carnival. It was also pouring down rain with lightning that day as well. We didn’t really want to get off the ship, but refunds for the excursion were not being offered so we went with it. The river part of the excursion was just ok, we all had ponchos on and we mostly had to keep our heads down to try and prevent being pelted with rainwater. Then we went to the ruins, and it had stopped raining by that time, but once you see the ruins once you don’t really need to go back. The bus ride back to the port was our least favorite part – an hour on the bus with not much to look at. It should also be mentioned that our group isn’t really the zip-line or cave tubing type, so that leaves limited choices in Belize. So, after that experience, we decided that we weren’t going to do much this trip. We had researched going to Caye Caulker but with the 45-minute water taxi ride (after the 20-minute tender ride) there and back we thought it just might be a little too hectic trying to figure out the schedules, etc. We really wanted to make this cruise as laid back as possible (which we succeeded in). Rather than just staying on the ship, we decided to tender in and go to the Wet Lizard. So, we all just woke up when we wanted and around 11:00 or so we headed off the ship to port. Oh, they did the lifeboat testing today too – Sheri was able to get some good pictures. The Wet Lizard was good. We found a table and just hung out and had a few drinks and some food. The onion rings were really really good. The rest of the group said the conch fritters were really good too. We stayed there for about two hours and then we did a bit of walking around the port area and then tendered back to the ship.

April14-03.jpg

April14-04.jpg

April14-05.jpg

April14-06.jpg

April14-08.jpg

April14-09shipscoin.jpg

I noticed that you stated that you were in roatan until 7:00....I think it states that we are there only until 3..why are their different time for the same ship and itinerary?? I sure do wish we were there until 7!!:confused:

Loving the review!! Loading up on any and all info on the Valor for our upcoming October cruise. Will be our first with Carnival and only 2nd ever, I know we have a lot of catching up to do, LOL :)

We're doing the Eastern, but loving this review, may have to do the Western next time. :) Any tips, tricks, info on the Valor are greatly appreciated!! Looking forward to the rest of your review...thanks again for taking the time to post such a pic filled and detailed report!

You'll love it! Hmm, tips... Well, one thing is that decks 3 and 4 don't go all the way through because of the midship dining room (there are two dining rooms on this class of ship). So, if you need to get from one side of the ship to the other, go on deck 5. And you can go on deck 5 to where you need to be and then go down to deck 3 or 4 in that spot. That's the deck that a lot of the lounges and things are on anyways. Also, if you go to eat at the buffet and you can't find a seat, go up the stairs by the fish and chips area - there are always tables up there! If I think of anything else I'll add it. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask!

I noticed that you stated that you were in roatan until 7:00....I think it states that we are there only until 3..why are their different time for the same ship and itinerary?? I sure do wish we were there until 7!!:confused:

You know, last year I remember us getting there pretty early and leaving earlier. I'm not sure why they would do that. I wonder if there is another ship coming in later in the day or something?

Thank you so much for this review. It is awesome with all the fantastic pictures. I can't wait to step on the Valor June 5. I'm gonna steal your idea of the shot of the first step on deck. How did you get the menu shots?

Thanks! You're welcome to steal that idea. It just came to me as I realized I was on the ship. Haha. Bogden and Ratha were kind enough to give me copies of the menu each night, including the night we didn't go to the dining room. Love them. :)

Thanks for the great review. I love all of the pictures. My family and I are sailing on the Valor in 31 days and I'm really enjoying getting a taste of what we're going to experience.

You're going to love it! Don't forget to leave a small space in your suitcase for me! :p

APRIL 15, 2011 – COZUMEL (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)

Cozumel! So last year we went to Paradise Beach. We had a great time but we wanted to try something new this time. We had read on the boards about a new all-inclusive, Ocean Beach Resort. So, after a bit of research we decided we would go to this place on this day. We booked online ahead of time and paid a small deposit of I believe $26 per couple (in total it was $80 per couple). They only allow 50 people per day. They advertised a pool, beach chairs, umbrellas, Mexican buffet and of course drinks. The night before, we decided that we would head off the ship around 10:00. I had planned on sleeping in today but was awaken by the ship pulling into port. So, I decide to go out on the balcony and I see a ship heading straight towards it – I could only see the front (bow?). I’m looking at it and I start thinking, “No… It can’t be…” As it got closer, it was! THE MONSTER OF THE SEAS PART DEUX (Allure) WAS HEADING RIGHT TOWARDS US! We hadn’t seen either the Oasis or the Allure since they started cruising. We missed seeing them in FLL by a day or so on the last two cruises. So, I got a bit excited and woke up Paul. We just sat on the balcony staring at this thing as it got closer and started to turn. We were literally given almost a 360 degree view as it headed towards us, turned completely around and started backing in. We saw right down through the boardwalk and everything. While a bit impressive and eye-widening, I honestly think it’s a bit too big for my taste. But that’s just me. So once that was over with, I got dressed and went for breakfast with Steve and Sheri. Once we were ready to get off the ship, we walked through the port area (they had built a new duty free shop on the dock) and got a taxi. It was a $13 cab ride there. Riding in cabs on that road always makes me nervous – they follow so closely, always seem like they’re going so fast and then when they pass slower cars… Ugh. Makes my skin crawl. But, we arrived safely at the resort and there was a man there ready to greet us and take our reservation papers. We were shown to our beach chairs and offered drinks right away. We were right next to Carlos and Charlies and then Paradise Beach. The water looked a little murky where we were. Paul, Sheri and Steve finally went to get in the water and it was cold and very rocky. They tried, but just couldn’t do it. Paul walked down to Paradise Beach and got in the water there. We enjoyed our day just lounging and relaxing. The server (I hate that I forget his name) was very attentive and checked on us rather often. Steve and Sheri’s Bacardi and diets were never empty. J Paul had a margarita or two and enjoyed them. I had a pina colada and it was the best I’ve ever had. Then I tried the strawberry one – equally as good. The buffet opened at around 12:00 and had tortillas, rice, beans, taquitos, quesadillas, a steak fajita mix, a pork fajita mix, sour cream, quacamole, pico, all the fixings. It was good. I have to apologize, I didn’t really get as many food / buffet pics as I had intended to. A jet ski rental company was positioned right next to us so we enjoyed the people watching of people getting on and off and a few small cases of drunken Cozumel drama. We wanted to do a bit of shopping back at Puerto Maya, so we went for a taxi at I think 3:00. The cab right back was delightful – we had an older driver and he was not in a hurry. I loved it. So much so I gave him a $20 for the $13 cab ride. Haha. I now wish I would have written down his cab number or something for next time. Oh, the resort also had a bar with swing seats – it looked like a fun place to just hang out for a bit. So, that’s about the story for Cozumel. We’ll be there again in October, and while we did enjoy our day, we’re going to try Nachi Cocum. Paul and I got back on the ship right at about 4:20, Sheri and Steve heard the blow horn as they were walking down the dock and made it on. J We watched for any runners, but with the Conquest next to us it was hard to tell. We did hear a few names called, but never heard anything more about it. We backed out at about 5:15. At that time, it was time to shower and dress for dinner.

Valor306.jpg

Valor307.jpg

Valor309.jpg

Valor313.jpg

Valor314.jpg

April15-01.jpg

Archived