Is RCCL leaving Galveston?

As of now, RCL doesn't have a ship in Galveston year round. They'll have a ship there for the winter months then move it to Europe for the summer months. Even though Disneys coming down there and Carnival is sending their newest ship there, RCL still fails to see the money that can be made from us Texans.

No year round ship from RCI in Galveston is indeed a bum deal. Now, with Princess returning to Galveston for winter cruising and Disney coming in for a limited schedule during winter, Galveston's cruise terminal should be a busy place during the winter. Maybe RCI will see the possibility of placing a permanent ship there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mariner will be replacing Voyager next Fall/Spring in Galveston. Voyager will be cruising out of New Orleans when she returns from Europe. RCL makes more money cruising in Europe over the summer than the Caribbean.

Voyager will be cruising out of New Orleans when she returns from Europe.

Looks like Voyager is only going to NOLA for one season and being replaced with the Navigator for the winter 2012-13 season. I'm interested in what they are going to do with Voyager since it isn't going back to New Orleans?

how do you know voyager isn't going back to new orleans? I'm not questioning because I don't know, just curious.

The Navigator is doing a transatlantic to New Orleans in 2012 and the Voyager is not.

Also one of the hosts asked RCI and she said that the Navigator would in fact be sailing out of New Orleans.

Putting a Freedom class ship in Galveston may not be doable at this point due to turning the ship in the channel and the depth of the channel. My guess if that if RCL was to want to put one of the ships there, Galveston would find a way to get rid of these problems.

Putting a Freedom class ship in Galveston may not be doable at this point due to turning the ship in the channel and the depth of the channel. My guess if that if RCL was to want to put one of the ships there, Galveston would find a way to get rid of these problems.

Would love to see a freedom class, not holding my breath though! That being said, RCI website shows Voyager's draft at 29' and Freedom at only 28'. Not sure how much more turning room is required though. Galveston didn't seem that tight. The depth at the cruise terminal is listed as 9.1 meters or just a few inches shy of 30'.

If they would just hurry up and update all their ships with the "royal advantage" changes, I'd be happy with any of them!!!

Archived