Pre-Cruise hotel stay at Universal Studios?

Thinking of adding 1 day on for our family (2A/3C). Has anyone does this through RCL? Was it cheaper to do it as an pre-cruise stay vs booking separately? How were the transfers? What time did you get to the port? Would you do it again?

Thanks!

I recommend booking on your own, look for discounted passes for Universal stay off the property to save lots of money and rent a car one-way from Orlando to Port Canaveral -- much cheaper than a shuttle service and more convenient. It took only 1 hour to drive to Port Canaveral from Disney and Universal. We dropped the car at Budget near the port and they drove us right to the ship!

Universal is known for being cheaper booking a la carte (vs Disney where a package is usually cheaper). That said, I've never done the 'package' with RCI.

If you are planning to go in June, for only 1 night, I highly recommend you stay ONSITE. You will pay more for your room, but you will be able to see most everything you want (using your roomkey as your Express Pass). I'm sure the last thing you want to do is be standing in lines all day before your relaxing cruise.

Look for tickets at UnderCoverTourist dot com and if you are AAA member, you'll have to CALL the hotel to check that rate (AAA rates only online at AAA website). I wouldn't think about it too long....rooms book quick there...especially for summertime.

We did the RCI/Universal package last year and loved it! It's probably a bit more expensive than booking transfers/hotel separately, but well worth it. We had experiences with long lines and frustrating waits previously in Orlando. With the package, we had a private limo waiting for us at the airport, which took us directly to the hotel in less than a half hour. Staying onsite is more expensive, but a huge time saver. Your roomkey gives you front of the line access at all the major attractions, except Harry Potter. The Harry Potter section opens 1 hour early for people staying onsite only. The transfer to the port was a small minibus which got us to the ship in time for early boarding, around 11 AM. We had such a wonderful time that we're visiting Universal again after our next cruise (Oasis of the Seas leaving this Saturday--whoopee!) This time, we had to book the transportation and hotel separately, since Oasis docks in Ft. Lauderdale. (We're renting a car and driving to Orlando, then visiting Universal for the next 3 days.) So we'll have a chance for a direct comparison between package vs. independent booking.

Freedom OTS is a great ship, with an amazing variety of things to do for everybody. The entertainment is topnotch, among the best we've seen in over 20 cruises. The cruise director, Mike Szwajkowski, is fantastic, our favorite CD.

Have a wonderful time!

Archived