Amazing Race excursion in Cozumel

vacation dreaming

Did this when I sailed Imagination in Dec 2009 with a girlfriend of mine. Both of us are huge TAR fans and were very excited to do a mini-version of the show.

It was fantastic! So much fun to tackle each of the tasks and figure out the answers to the clues.

We were KICKING BUTT for 90% of the game; in fact one of the "hosts" remarked that we arrived at one checkpoint in record time!

But just like the show, there was one clue that eluded us. We were literally within 50 FEET of the location we were in search of, and because of how we were positioned just could not find it.

We wound up coming in third :(

But it was still a LOT of fun and I would DEFINITELY love to do it again! If you are a true TAR fan you will love this. Some of the other teams did not seem to be as enthused as others -- we later learned that those teams never even heard of the show! DOH!

Anybody?

We went in a museum you might have passed up, a market area, snorkeled above a wreck...

I thought we got to do a lot for our money.

But half the fun, too, was getting to play TAR :D

OH! If you do this, definitely wear quick-drying clothes!

we did this locally and are seriously thinking of doing it here too..... Just want to make sure we can understand the clues as this will be our first time in Cozumel. Don't want to get lost, mixed in with the wrong crowd etc. A bit leary about that but based on how the Los Angeles one was organized - and it is the same owners - I know it will be well organized and well run........Oh and in Los Angeles we came in 3rd....

Any others who have gone on this?

I wouldn't worry about getting lost. They give you a cell phone for emergencies and no one used it on any of our teams. You also have a map to follow and the locals are helpful pointing you in the right direction. It was loads of fun! :D We weren't nervous about the areas we were in at all ;)

Going on the Oasis of the Seas in July and booked The Amazing Cozumel Race. Can't wait! Sounds like fun! I just hope there's enough time afterwards to hit up somewhere like Playa Uvas or Money Bar to do some more snorkeling...

I just booked this today after my 12 year old son kept begging and begging. The whole family loves the show and I figure it will be a great way to see the island. DH and I are not in great shape, but it doesn't matter to me if we come in first or last (although I'm quite sure my son won't feel the same way).

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I did this last november when we were on the elation. This race is laid back. Matter of fact you don't need to run, we walked because my DH suffered a back injury two weeks before the cruise and he had no problem. Everything is provided and is very safe and organized. Have a team name ready cuz they ask for one. You do have time afterwards to go see a speacial place or shop. It takes about 3 hrs to complete. Have fun, we did and want to do it again.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Best excursion ever. Think we paid $79@ on the Dream. Did w/ 18 y.o teen daughter and her friend while on the Dream. Met at pier about 10:30. 6 teams, we came in 2nd. Some of the teams took it more like a leisurely scavenger hunt, while we were more competitive. Finished up after awards about 1:00 and were able to leave and were transported back to pier as we wanted to do some other things but others stayed around til the 2:30 stated ending time

Our family ran the race last Friday in Cozumel and had a fantastic time! Well organized and lots of fun; you definitely get to see places and do things not on the typical excursion. Our two kids finished third and beat the ol' parents by two minutes, not bad for the old folks:D

• 1 month later...

I did this excursion in July with my nephew (18), husband (29), and sister (in her 40s). We came in 4th. My nephew is very competitive and wanted to run the entire way, but his mom has difficulty with endurance and they make sure the whole team is there before giving you the next clue.

It was a lot of fun, but my sister felt pressured to keep up. During the race, she said she wished she hadn't done it, just because her son was so hyped up to win. Afterwards, when we were relaxed and being fed, she was in better spirits.

You don't HAVE to run - you can take as much time as you want! Just have fun. I did!

• 1 month later...
My DH and I did this last november when we were on the elation. This race is laid back. Matter of fact you don't need to run, we walked because my DH suffered a back injury two weeks before the cruise and he had no problem. Everything is provided and is very safe and organized. Have a team name ready cuz they ask for one. You do have time afterwards to go see a speacial place or shop. It takes about 3 hrs to complete. Have fun, we did and want to do it again.:)

I would be th DH... This excursion is absolutely the best. We had so much fun doing this and even got some help from a couple of Federales. Lots and lots of fun, can't wait to do it again. And to answer some of the other questions, you don't have to run, and you don't have to be in tip top shape to do this. My DW and I leisurely walked around for this excursion. The name is misleading, it's not really a "race" it's more of a scavenger hunt.

Archived