The smell of smoke(smoking)

steve603

I'm on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic in a grill room. Its my first time ever. I read that smoking is allowed in your room. I'm a non smoker and can't stand the smell of smoke in a regular hotel room. Do I need to be concerned that my stateroom will smell like an ash tray? I read somewhere that I should bring room deodorrizers. Is this for real.

Why is smoking still allowed in the rooms? Sure hope this won't be an issue. Any thoughts on this folks?

Thank you

Very good, pb82!

Seriously, my wife and I are very sensitive to smoke odors. After many voyages aboard QM2, I can honestly say that we have never experienced any difficulties in our cabins. The stewards and stewardesses do a remarkable job freshening each cabin on "turnaround" days.

I understand from other passengers that, if you have any problems with residual smoke odors, a word to your steward will result in extraordinary, and typically successful, efforts to re-clean your cabin.

In other words, don't worry.

Enjoy your voyage.

Smoking is no longer allowed in the cabins, only on the balconys so there won't be an issue in your cabin. There is also a non smoking policy for all public rooms. In other words, No Smoking indoors. Logically, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

Smoking is no longer allowed in the cabins, only on the balconys so there won't be an issue in your cabin. There is also a non smoking policy for all public rooms. In other words, No Smoking indoors. Logically, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

WHAT? Brigittetom, when did that happen? No longer allowed in cabins? On all Cunard ships? Thanks for any additional info. Regards -Salacia

I just received my "Cunard Voyage Guide" in the mail for our 19 May sailing on the QE. regarding smoking:

"...smoking is not permitted in any public area with the exception of Churchill's Cigar Lounge (cigars only), designated areas on the open decks and the upper level of the G32 nightclub on board Queen Mary 2. Whilst smoking is allowed in staterooms and on stateroom balconies, we would ask that guests are considerate and keep smoking in these areas to a minimum".

This information has a publication date of February 2011. Last word on the subject? Probably not, but it seems reasonable to me and gives the captain and pursers' office latitude to address extreme infractions on a case by case basis, which they should.

Surely didn't intend to start any arguments when I started this thread nor am I advacating that everyone should quit smoking. If I had read my pretrip documents more carefully I would have seen that smoking is allowed in staterooms. I read one bad review with regard to a passenger who smelt smoke in his room the whole trip and just thought I'd get some imput on that possiblity. Leaving for London on Wednesday for 5 days of site seeing before departing WB to NY on the 10th. Sure looking forward to it regardless of who lites up.-----and BTW I intend to drink my poison rather than smoke it.

Surely didn't intend to start any arguments when I started this thread nor am I advacating that everyone should quit smoking. If I had read my pretrip documents more carefully I would have seen that smoking is allowed in staterooms. I read one bad review with regard to a passenger who smelt smoke in his room the whole trip and just thought I'd get some imput on that possiblity. Leaving for London on Wednesday for 5 days of site seeing before departing WB to NY on the 10th. Sure looking forward to it regardless of who lites up.-----and BTW I intend to drink my poison rather than smoke it.

Hope you have a good crossing Steve, I'm sure you will have a great time.;)

I believe that Smoking! will no longer be permitted in staterooms After the World cruises next year 2012.

I copied and pasted the information below from the Cunard website back in March. I just did a quick search for it now, but could not locate it.

Jeanne

CUNARD 2011/WINTER 2012 VOYAGES

Is smoking permitted in the ships’ public areas?

Smoking is no longer permitted in any of the public rooms with the exception

of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge and designated areas on the open deck. Smoking

will still, however, be allowed in all staterooms and all stateroom balconies. These

regulations may be subject to further change in the future.

CUNARDY 2012 WORLD VOYAGES

Is smoking permitted in the ships’ public areas?

Smoking will no longer be permitted inside public areas of Queen Elizabeth

& Queen Mary 2 including guest staterooms. Cigarette smoking will continue

to be allowed on stateroom balconies, on certain areas of the open decks and on

the upper level of G32 on Queen Mary 2. Churchill’s Cigar Lounge will be for

the use of cigar smokers only. Cigar and pipe smoking will also be permitted on

certain areas of the open deck but not on stateroom balconies. These regulations

may be subject to further change in the future.

I guess you have discovered by now that very strong opinions are held on this subject! Welcome to Cruise Critic and just enjoy the whole QM2 experience. You will love her !

The following was copied on May 1, 2012 from http://www.cunard.com/FAQs1/On-Board/

What is the smoking policy on board Cunard ships?

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests has always been a key

concern at Cunard. With this in mind, as a direct result of the feedback we

have received from our guests, we have amended our policy with regard to

smoking on board Cunard ships. Smoking is no longer permitted in any public

area with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge (cigars only) and

designated areas on the open decks. Smoking is permitted on private

balconies

Therefore, it appears that pipe and cigarette smoke is now limited to private balconies (tough luck for those with inside and window cabins) and designated areas on the open decks. Since the weather can be inhospitable on ocean voyages at times, there might be times when being on the open deck or balconies is not fesiable.

No doubt anti-smokers will see this as a victory - but most of those who smoke will no longer sail on Cunard ships.

Edited to correct date copied

The following was copied on May 1, 2011 from http://www.cunard.com/FAQs1/On-Board/

What is the smoking policy on board Cunard ships?

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests has always been a key

concern at Cunard. With this in mind, as a direct result of the feedback we

have received from our guests, we have amended our policy with regard to

smoking on board Cunard ships. Smoking is no longer permitted in any public

area with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge (cigars only) and

designated areas on the open decks. Smoking is permitted on private

balconies

Therefore, it appears that pipe and cigarette smoke is now limited to private balconies (tough luck for those with inside and window cabins) and designated areas on the open decks. Since the weather can be inhospitable on ocean voyages at times, there might be times when being on the open deck or balconies is not fesiable.

No doubt anti-smokers will see this as a victory - but most of those who smoke will no longer sail on Cunard ships.

Archived