Bringing passport off boat

leesy007

I am a first time cruiser setting sail in 10 days!

My questions is if I should bring my passport off the cruise while in port? In not, should I bring a drivers license? Does this vary port to port?

If it matters- we are going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize (booking excursion through Carnival) and Isla Roatan.

In the off chance that you get waylayed and miss the ship, you will need your passports in order to fly. Some people say yes, take 'em and some people say no, leave 'em. I personally like the comfort of having them with me, but others think the ship safe is a safer place to keep them. Pro's and Con's either way.

My questions is if I should bring my passport off the cruise while in port? In not, should I bring a drivers license? Does this vary port to port?

If it matters- we are going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize (booking excursion through Carnival) and Isla Roatan.

I scanned each of our Passports which I have sent to a generic email account that is accessible anywhere in the world. Printed colour copies that I laminated and cut to size, then fold them for ease of carrying...we take these with us when going into port and the lamination protects them if they happen to get wet.

While you aren't able to fly using the copies, it makes it easier for your embassy to track and replace them if needed. We leave the originals in the safe and also carry our Photo Driver's Licenses.

Doing the above gives ME piece of mind...I can go ashore and enjoy myself, and know I can get back onto the ship without issue. :)

Often debated and two camps

1) Its a foreign country thus only accepted universal ID, passport, better take it.

2) All you need is your cruise card. Far more likely to get it stolen or lost versus need it, leave it on the boat

Reality is that many cruise lines take yoru passport so not even a debate.

Enjoy your day in port without your passport or the worries of losing it :D

Archived